'The Exorcist': TV Review

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i wanted to like this, i watched the first 2 episodes and just couldn't get into it, too droll i guess and way too verbose.

2. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was wondering what happened. Thanks!

3. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Still playing catch up on DVR'd episodes, but am starting to lose interest already. Starting to feel like just another "made for TV , based on a movie" and just not worth the effort.

4. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I still find it interesting. There's a lot of layers and storylines going on and that's not terrible. If it makes it past season 1 I wonder if they'll move on to a different family? Will the Friars be exposed?

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I doubt it...there's only 10 episodes this year so I don't see them wrapping up both the 'Casey' case and the Friars with the time left. I would assume the Casey situation will get resolved but the Friars will continue on should there be a Season 2.

6. Yeah, both the wife and I mutually decided to drop this show last night.

They fumbled the ball with the whole, "My name is Regan MacNeil." Really, they should have cast Ellen Burstyn to reprise Chris MacNeil. It would have felt more true to the story.

This is too bad because I dug the rolls of Father Tomas and Father Marcus.

7. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Finished watching the first episode last night, a tad disjointed at times but I'll stick with it.

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

The premise of them sitting around the living room, or having dinner while their daughter is upstairs being exorcised...lol

9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

So the last episode takes off into conspiracy territory I liked it I guess you almost have to as the long series format peters out most storylines. That's why characters and not concepts or twist or complications, are the most important --- good characters don't Peter out

10. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

I was watching it, but lost track watching the World Series, then family birthdays. What day is it on again?

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

just read yesterday in entertainment weekly that the ratings for 'the exorcist' are very low, that and 'notorious" (of which the last 9 episodes aren't even going to be shown) are possibly about to be cancelled.

12. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Last nights episode was so much better than last week's. Really liking the Father Bennett side story I just hope he doesn't get off'd by the Friars.

13. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Exactly how I felt. No more. Promising at the start but unsatisfactory in the end.

14. I quit this show halfway through episode 5 or was it 6? I enjoyed it to begin with then it just started getting silly.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I was going to argue with you that Ellen Burstyn is much too old and wouldn't look good, but I just saw a picture of her in Interstellar from a year or two ago, and she looked fine there (83 years old). On the other hand, Sharon Gless is 10 years younger, and I suspect the producers wanted to hire somebody "TV-experienced" and affordable. The show already has some big departures from the Exorcist novel and movie, so slightly changing the ages of the cast isn't that big a stretch.

I think the reason why the show is failing is that it's a real downer, plus it's yet another TV series that paints a vast conspiracy that goes way deep into the core of churches, politicians, the police, and a bunch of other people, plus it's unrelentingly bleak and scary. I'm not convinced you can do this for (say) a hundred episodes. If it were a limited 10-episode series... maybe. If this had been done on Netflix with a bigger budget, and with an R rating, it might have been a much better end result.

I think the actors are sincere and everybody is doing their best, but I dunno... I'm not feelin' it.

Rufus McDufus and EVOLVIST like this.
  16. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

The show started off really well, but the introduction of the conspiracy is where I had to leave. The same thing happened with Grimm, the story lines just got way too convoluted for me to stay interested week to week.

neo123 likes this.
  17. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Conspiracy thrown into the equation is not a good thing. Last night's episode was the first episode in which I really didn't pay attention and only had the TV on in the background. Glanced up every couple minutes to see what was going on, but not really following closely like all the previous episodes. Of course, it appears Regan is possessed again. Who would've guessed? LOL

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

F0r all of you complaining about the Friars Of The Ascension plot - what do you want the show to be? Week after week of the exorcists trying to get the demon out of Casey? The demon hopping from one person to another and the exorcists playing "whack-a-mole"? You had to know there would be more than just an exorcist/demon battle (like the movie) or you run out of steam in just a few weeks.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  19. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

How about a new creepy possession story every week or so? Like Supernatural was before it became too convoluted with the whole angels, demons, devils, Heaven and Hell arc.

neo123 likes this.
  20. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

You couldn't fit in the story of pre-possession, possesion and exorcism in 43 minutes.

21. EricF

EricF Well-Known Member

True, but the two priests could travel around the country in a really cool old muscle car with played out classic rock songs for the soundtrack! Wait a minute...

DHamilton and neo123 like this.
  22. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

For me, the series is doing great. The possession seems scary because the demon did something outstanding: scaping to the world (well, father Marcus found it again but whatever :) ).Then, at the nuns' convent, the demon just laid there with the rotting body of Cassey... that was extremely dark!

They didn't keep the demon like some mindless animal of pure gore like most possessions movies nowaday. They made it to carry a complex and mysterious agenda.

The conspiracy arc is fascinating. And seems dangerous to the status quo: they are basically saying that there are satanists in the catholic church and government!

All the characters are interesting and add something to the story. The Regan twist was great (and now, another twist! and worrying).

I'm on the edge of my seat!

23. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

I enjoyed this first season very much. I was Jonesing for a good thriller every since Hannibal was cancelled.
    I hope there is a season 2, maybe with a bigger budget........cool

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked the demon a lot. The young girl in love with someone who looks like an old uncle was very twisted. I would
    Iike a flashback episode showing how the demon seduced her. All that stuff with him sitting on her chest with his long toenails was so perverse. I need to go watch the last two episodes. I've fallen behind on this and Westworld.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched the last too episodes, now this show is getting kind of repetitious and trite. I liked it up through six or seven episode, but I think it's petering out now. I blame my lack of enthusiasm on Geena Davis, the Mexican priest, and Tyne Daily not working in their performances, a dull romance subplot to pad the show, and the conspiracy with the pope being a bit stupid. Too bad, that poor British actor playing the exorcist is working his heart out trying to give the show a pulse, but everyone else around him sucks.

wayneklein and neo123 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.