'The Exorcist': TV Review

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

tyne daily? I don't think shes in it

2. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

He meant Sharon Gless, I assume.

3. It won't be back based on the ratings u less Neflix, Hulu or Amazon picks it up.

4. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Getting sillier and sillier. Tonight's episode proved that. There is only one more episode this season (probably for good too.) The season finale is next week.

The Father Marcus character is the only character who seems to be serious and is the only one who is interesting. All the rest are either props (the 2 girls and Dad) or just parodies of what made the book and original movie great.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And we bid a fond adieu to Sharon Gless. I was surprised to see an announcement by ABC that more shows are coming early next year, because this sure felt pretty "final." Very much a downer show.

Note that in the original movie, the only way Father Merrin was able to exorcise the little girl was to command the demon to enter his body, then throw his body through a window and fall down a staircase with about 279 steps, dying in the process. It makes you wonder why the priests never checked to figure out where the demon (Pazuzu) had gone.

6. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

I thought it was a decent episode...the demon is now having fun and doing what demons do so of course it's getting crazy.

7. Well....that depends on if you buy the revised Exorcist III.

Larry Mc likes this.
  8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I thought Geena Davis did great on this episode - she had some great lines and I enjoyed seeing her evil side. :agree:

9. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Yeah, she was fine but I felt the behaviour of the demon was a little clichéd. Though I wouldn't know how to write a demon's personality... but still, good suspense.

And am I the only who actually likes father Thomas as a character? He has an air of melancholy and sanctity.

10. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Well, it's over. I guess the ending was as good as it could possibly be, considering how the 10 episodes played out. If the show does get renewed, I see Father Marcus and Father Tomas being in the center of another Exorcism. Though, apparently the fat rich lady and her cult are still around (for me, that cult storyline was just too silly and the shows could've been much better without them.)

Also, if it does get renewed, I don't see how they could bring back Geena Davis, Alan Ruck and the 2 girls. It would be just plain silly if any one of them become possessed, yet again.

jsayers likes this.
  11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Nice ending. If it's not renewed it tied up enough loose ends to be satisfactory and if they decide to continue there's enough there to keep it going with the police chief and the newly integrated lady. I'd give the series a solid B over the 10 episodes.

12. Halloween Jack

It was okay. I found it too bombastic and too fantastic. The original movie wasn't fantastic, it felt real. It suffered the same problem from modern exorcism movies: too much display of the supernatural power from the demon. I cannot swallow it. However, I saw that father Thomas made it different with his performance and it was interesting to see the scenario of the internal battle of the demon and the possessed Geena Davis.

I didn't like that Pazuzu was defeated by the "power of the human will" :rolleyes:

I did like the beginning with the cult, it was strong and a little gruesome.

13. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

Well I stuck it out. It got pretty ridiculous by the end. I think they painted themselves into a corner and didn't have anywhere to go with it other than where they took it. I doubt it gets renewed and I'm not sure I'll bother with it, if it does.

14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

ouch! :)
    anything is better than those brain dead comedies networks seem to love. I guess they are cheap and make money in reruns?????????????

15. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

Fox Renews The Exorcist for Season 2
    In one of the most surprising renewals of the season, Fox has ordered a second season of The Exorcist.

The series is a sequel of the classic horror film of the same name, meaning there are definitely creepy kids possessed by demonic entities. But unlike the film, the centerpieces of the show are the two very different priests -- one is compassionate and progressive while the other is aggressive and traditional -- who try to exorcise a possessed girl.

Season 1 of The Exorcist starred Alfonso Herrerra, Ben Daniels, Alan Ruck and Geena Davis.

The Exorcist was a longshot at renewal considering it was outside of Fox's top 20 shows in terms of overall viewers, and 20th when it came to ratings. But the small fan base was passionate about the show, and the fact that it aired on Friday nights likely gave it some leniency when it came to numbers. Also, it likely got a pass because it was made at 20th Century Fox rather than an outside studio.

:cool: :cool:

16. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Interesting. Didn't think it would be back, wasn't all that good...

17. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I liked the first season so I'll be happy to watch season 2.

Larry Mc likes this.
  18. Halloween Jack

Nice. I'll be watching but I hope they improve the writing (specially for the final act).

19. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Interesting. The first season was uneven, but the actors were top notch. Maybe FOX is taking a chance.
    Grimm is over on Fridays, so maybe they think there is an unaddressed audience to capture.

20. Your Mother knits socks in hell!

21. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

The Exorcist Season 2 First Look: Evil Has a New Home

So, some of the cast from last season won't be back. Only 3 regulars from season 1 are returning for season 2.

Looks like it will be Marcus and Father Ortega leaving Chicago and traveling around to find new cases.

New season starts next Friday on Sept. 20th.

(Just give them a muscle car with a stereo to play some classic rock while traveling around in it. ;) )

22. I loved the first season. One of the best acted and directed shows in tv and it looked amazing. Happy to see it back.

Smart well thought out television but it does take its time. Something I love.

Best network show since Hannibal.

Halloween Jack likes this.
  23. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Actually, it was Father Karras (played by the late Jason Miller) who performed the ultimate sacrifice to save Regan; Father Merrin (Max Von Sydow) was already dead by that point... sorry, I'm just a HUGE fan...

24. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I didn't realize that Season 2 has been back for 4 weeks already. Perhaps I've not been paying attention, but it doesn't seem like Fox has promoted this much at all.

25. Halloween Jack

It has been great (underrated). I actually think it's good original horror (better than the 1st season?). The type that Hollywood cannot make anymore (!). There's a big twist in the middle and the episodes have been atmospheric and psychological.

Last episode was spiritual and dark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.