The Expanse Season 2

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by slovell, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Yeah, I think that's right. I remember he ended his friendship with Avasarala after she used him to find out the Martians didn't know about the stealth ship and that resulted in him being expelled and banned from Mars. I wonder why she said to Errinwright "you had him killed". Maybe I misheard. I'll have to watch it again.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maybe I do, too. I might have missed something vital as well. I'll ask my friend tonight as he's a big fan and pays better attention than I do.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As GodShifter said, he suicided. The chain of events is something like this. Avasarala leaked to DeGraaf that stealth materials were being stolen, and then DeGraaf reported the information to a high-up martian.

Then UN intelligence detected increased signals chatter to martian bases (they knew the leak was about stolen stealth materials). DeGraaf had no connection to them, but the martian government probably thought he did that on purpose, so that UN intelligence could gather info on their stealth bases. DeGraaf was scapegoated and declared persona non-grata by the martian government and in the end he took his own life, or so it was reported.

Now maybe he did and maybe he didn't and his murder was covered up. Perhaps that's what Chrisjen is referring to (or even it it was suicide, maybe she's blaming the puppet-masters indirectly for setting up the chain of events that drove DeGraaf to his death, though she is hardly blameless within that chain).

agentalbert and GodShifter like this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another great episode with so much happening, it's hard to know where to begin.

...spoilers...

I guess the most satisfying was seeing Bobbie kick some martian ass and getting UN asylum. Then you had glimpses of what was going on on venus and the mysterious sighting made by Holden & co at the end. On the political front, a showdown between Avasarala and Jules-Pierre Mao is set in motion.

I particularly loved Alex's scene as he was plotting the intricate gravity assist path through the moons of Jupiter aboard the Rocinante, using only maneuvering thrusters for course corrections.

There was a lovely shot of a blue ice moon showing erupting cryovolcanoes - beautiful (it actually looked like Enceladus, which is a moon of Saturn - but still scientifically accurate thanks to the Cassini mission). Also liked the nice little touch when he flicked his ring through the holographic display and the way it disrupted the display's light beams as it sailed along.

And if that wasn't enough, we have Naomi leaving Holden's group and their continuing crusade. I didn't expect that!

Brilliant stuff.

amoergosum and Dubmart like this.
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Anyone know when the next episode airs? Promos stated next Wednesday (4/12), but syfy's schedule is showing something else...

6. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Naomi has her own story to tell. I am surprised they may be telling it this early.

7. agentalbert

I'm having a hard time buying Holden's recent turn to this dark. heartless single-minded obsessed guy. I don't think the actor quite pulls it off.

Errinwright isn't going down without a fight. Was his intent when he said to Jules-Pierre Mao "return to Earth alone" really that Avasarala die? Somehow I think she'll get the better of him and he will be taken off the board.

8. robertawillisjr

Well, this is where the writers may be jumping the shark. Holden's turn takes place later after he and crew worked for Fred. They spent a few years detecting pirates and others that were acting against Fred's and his branch of OPA. During this period, they destroyed a few ships posthaste.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet but was surprised to see Naomi questioning his ethics (much too soon) and then leaving. In the book series, she doesn't leave until later and the consequences were dire for her, earth, Mars, etc. I am not sure I like the way the story line is going because there may be a major conflict with the events (and their ultimate results) taking place on Venus. Yes, I know that the story lines of books and movies often diverge drastically but they were doing such a fine job of keeping to the spirit of the books...

We will see.

9. agentalbert

That would probably work better, if it was a slower change over time. As it is, he just seems to have changed too much too quick.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's a short season with plenty of plot to cram in, but we did see Holden in prior eps starting to lose his moral compass somewhat. I remember the scene where he and Naomi are talking and he mentions something to the effect that she will keep him on the straight and narrow. So, I think this wasn't totally out of the blue (back?). I don't have a problem with this development.

Question is, without Naomi now to act as a moderating force, how far is he prepared to go? Maybe Alex will step into that role as he was shown to have some qualms in executing Holden's orders, to the point of Holden asking him if he will carry out his orders.

Then again, events may get ahead of them and there won't be any turning back (no book knowledge on my part).

GodShifter likes this.
  11. agentalbert

I'm not suggesting the change all came this last episode. It's been over a few, but it still seems pretty drastic and not really justified by what they've done. While the situation in the book would seem to explain it better, I get that they can't take as long in the TV series. Maybe the actor just isn't portraying it well. It's not awful or taking me completely out of the show, though.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Alex has been interesting the last few episodes and I wonder if he'll turn against Holden at some point.

12. robertawillisjr

I think the entire crew will be together again since the refugee ship was saved. I enjoyed the episode but the writers seem to adding drama where extra drama isn't really needed for impetus. One case is the meeting with Mao and the power grab by the UN person!

I am sure the program will continue to be enjoyable and I'll watch it.

13. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark Thread Starter

Same time, same day, same channel. :p

14. agentalbert

So how to interpret that final scene of the research craft at the Eros crater being pulled apart like it went through a grater? There's a short "inside the episode" on my On Demand section with interviews with cast and crew, but they don't really address what happened there. The writer just said he thought it was a cool image. Is it just supposed to represent some molecular change when coming in contact with the proto-molecule? Are those people doomed, and the next time we see them they'll be breathing vacuum and chasing radiation?

GodShifter likes this.
  15. robertawillisjr

Don't know what to say. In the books Eros survives and makes a slow comeback. The last three episodes were good but started to diverge from the books somewhat. IMHO, this isn't a problem as long as the producers/writers have a plan and aren't "winging" it.

Concerning the casting decision for the Bobbie character, Frankie Adams isn't Bobbie. I think they made a mistake. She doesn't exude the power, confidence and persona required for the part.

Looking forward to next season and seeing what choices they make.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I thought that was a strange scene for sure. I think it showed that the ship was destroyed and everyone was being slowly torn apart by the proto molecule. Then again, the entire scene confused me entirely so what do I know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.