The Expanse-Syfy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The narrative has improved,with each episode. I'm impressed so far much more than I was with Childhhod's End. I still hate the affect of Miller wearing a hat.

2. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

It's in the books and is clearly an affectation. I'm liking the series. It doesn't look cheap, and so far, so good. There is such a shortage of good sci-fi, and the buzz these days-- according to media about the medium-- is that space opera is hot.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Except why then were all the pyrotechnics and sparks falling down! (I assume you mean the scene on that catwalk where no one can shoot straight?) As I said before, points for trying but not full marks for lapses in attention to detail.

4. Oh I wouldn't doubt it. I didn't think Thomas Jane suggested it. It just doesn't work for me in tHe show.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Actually, I was talking about where the guy lost his head, and the blood starts flowing out the hole into the vacuum. Then when gravity was restored, the blood drops down with an audible splat.

I'm not worried about the direction sparks fly.

jriems likes this.
  6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Oh okay, that scene did look pretty good from memory.

7. The visual effects and much of the look of the series borrows quite a bit from Battlestar Galatica including the pop zoom where the ship gos out of focus and then comes back into focus again.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes and the season order has been increased from 10 eps to 13. This, along with the fact that this is syfy's most expensive series to date, bodes well for a fully realized and long lived saga. I'm onboard.

agentalbert and Tree of Life like this.
  9. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I'm enjoying it. Watched the first two already but I've been sidetracked with the college bowl games on tv.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Ep 5 was pretty good, if only an incremental advancement of the plotline. Wish the whole season was out at once!

11. agentalbert

I do too. It would be great to be able to binge watch this over a few days.

I just re-watched eps 3 & 4 and am hoping one of the book readers can provide some clarification. When the Martian Navy officer is interrogating the survivors of the Canterbury, he takes those pills before questioning them, then seems to have information about them that they aren't telling him. In the book, is this explained as him actually having some sort of telepathy or mind-reading ability? Or is it just turning his brain into a super fast networked computer that can access databases and get information about them, like Holden's family history? If he could actually read their mind, he would know none of them went to Phoebe Station and would know who was or wasn't a member of O.P.A.

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As a non book reader, I took those scenes to mean that the drug being taken allows the person to have a heightened sense of perception - enhanced focus on micro-expressions, breathing, heart rate, perspiration, vocal inflections, fidgeting, etc, as opposed to some ESP/mind reading thing. That's why I liked it. I'd be disappointed if it turns out to be some supernatural explanation in the books (but would be okay if it wasn't explained in the series, which I suspect won't be).

robertawillisjr and Tree of Life like this.
  13. agentalbert

I really don't want it to be supernatural either.

14. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I'm enjoying the season so far. My only gripe is Miller's mumbling of his lines. Is it to much to ask to speak coherently?

amoergosum and Deesky like this.
  15. agentalbert

In the last episode (#5) there was a brief mention of a group/organization called "Golden Bough". Is this the space Mormons or someone else?

16. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

There's been a problem with audio all along with this show. Not only the mumbling, but also the low dialog sound levels relative to the score. It's like the dialog's been captured from a long way away in many scenes.

17. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Heightened senses, ability to better observe the actions and reactions of the person being questioned.

18. robertawillisjr

An organized gang.

19. robertawillisjr

I finally watched the latest three episodes yesterday and I still all in. I am really looking forward to this season's final three episodes.

There are many departures from the book but they are often used as short cuts to provide important background information.
    1. The scene in Montana served to show earth's decline, the fact that Holden had eight parents, was dishonorably discharged (this was mentioned once before) and that he has an altruistic streak a mile wide. However, the UN person never made that trip but it shows many of her traits and depicted in the book.
    2. The "churn" discussion and the bar scenes serve to fill in some of Amos' background.
    3. The scene in which Nagata suggests that Fred Johnson owes her a favor serves as a hint for future seasons.
    4. The various scenes that show the Belter's desperation and poverty.
    Other departures from the text are plain flaws and purposeless:
    1. Miller's partner was never injured.
    2. Miller always kept his hat.
    3. The "Butcher of Anderson Station" scenes do the Fred Johnson character an egregious injustice. In the short story, the marines boarded the station and met with resistance. Johnson became the "Butcher" because his tactics were brutal. But he did save some of the rebels.
      1. I wonder why the production team decided to go this route.

Old Mac likes this.
  20. agentalbert

Thanks for the notes on the differences. I really liked the visual of the UN secretary in her bright red coat walking across the white snow.

Not having read, I didn't know Miller kept his hat, but him leaving it behind seems to underscore him deciding that part (Helix Detective) of his life is over, so it doesn't bother me. He wore it partly to help disguise his belter origins, right?

21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I thought ep 7 was excellent, up a notch or two from ep 6. Looking forward to the remainder of the season. And once the season is over, I plan to do a binge re-watch of all the episodes, because it's frustrating having to watch such a densely interwoven saga one ep every 7 days! Too many details and nuances are forgotten in the interim.

agentalbert and robertawillisjr like this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another excellent episode. Things are really starting to move now. Pity the season's end is nigh.

23. robertawillisjr

It looks like they may cover the first book. "Leviathan Awakes" is the title of the season finale.

24. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

I agree...loved the asteroid scenes >>>

[​IMG]

25. robertawillisjr

I watched the latest episode last night and it was superb. Great suspense and pacing especially the last scene showing the infected Julie in the shower.

I can't wait to see the remaining episodes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.