The Expanse-Syfy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think It's the generational ship for Mormons that's...repurposed shall we say if I'm not jumping too far ahead of things. I've read all the novels and going from memory here.

2. Best science fiction show on TV right now. Period. I like Dark Matters but it's derivative by comparison. This show gives me hope that Syfy won't make a mess of Hyperion.

3. They kind of said the same thing about Battlestar Galatica and even Farscape. We all know how that turned out for the latter. Hopefully they will not screw this up.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I looked it up, and you're right that the Navuoo is the name of the space mormon's generation ship. I didn't want to read anymore to avoid spoilers.

5. Yeah you best not. There are major events forthcoming including the Navuoo but they probably won't tackle that until next season. The ship will play a part but all of this depends on how condensed the second book and third book will be in the season since the conclusion of the first novel was carried over to the beginning of the second season.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Syfy released a new trailer for season 2:

Looks like things are heating up with troubles brewing between Earth, Mars, and the Belt. Conflict is escalating to the point where we might get something that looks like the first war between all the human worlds.

I'm looking forward to it, but I'll have to binge the first season first to get back into it. It starts Feb 1, 2017. With Trek Disco being pushed back deeper into the year, this will provide my fix of scifi until then.

7. Well... It'll be a fun season either way. This is still based on the first book as the first season only covers 2/3 of the book. It will be a fun ride.

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Never even heard of this show before today, when it was featured on Science Friday on NPR. Not normally a big fan of the genre, but this sounded interesting. Just started watching the first episode today, and I'm liking it. Looks like I'm in for a fun ride.

9. I think that the show is paid for by SyFy and another network so it's split.

Shohreh Aghdashloo doesn't appear in the first book at all. They put her in the series early to help clarify plot issues and give us a character to connect with on Earth.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think that was a good call.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  11. I would agree. The only issue I have is that her character curses like crazy which they can't really do on SyFy. Surprisingly it adds to her character.

Old Mac likes this.
  12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I heard her say the F*** word in the last ep, that actually made me chuckle.

13. Yep, very colorful langauge!

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Season 3 starts April 11th. Can't wait! Here's the trailer:

15. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

16. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I just watched the first two seasons and am looking forward to S3. I hope it gets on Netflix here soon.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

No comments yet on the first S3 ep? It was a complete blast! There was absolutely no time wasted, with the episode picking right up from the S2 finale. I watched the last ep of S2 first as a refresher, and I'm glad I did because it helped with the narrative flow.

The pacing was pretty frantic, propelling the story along at a rate of knots, but still having time for significant character moments.

The set designs were impressive - I particularly liked the sky blue/cyan corridors with soft white spot-lighting.

Bobbie kicks ass! One of my favorite lines of dialog was between her and Crisjen:

Bobbie: Take off all that tinsel. (jewelry)
    Crisjen: Is this really the time for fashion advice?
    Bobbie: At 6g's that junk will tear your head off. You decide.

marmalade166 likes this.
  18. agentalbert

Unfortunately I'm gonna have to wait to see these, as I'm cable-less. When they get to a streaming service or blu-ray, I'll catch up. While I grew sick of cable and the constant adds and network logos plastered over the screen to the point I didn't think it was worth paying for anymore, this is one of the shows that I'll miss being able to watch right away.

I was looking back over this thread, and it was weird how it seems to skip S2 entirely. The I figured out all the S2 stuff is in a separate thread. If a kind gort wanted to merge those posts into this so they are all in one thread, it would be appreciated.

19. robertawillisjr

Enjoyable and welcomed. Glad to have bought the series again from Amazon each year. I just wished they would release all of this year’s episodes at once.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another excellent ep (2), where, at the end, I found myself saying - what, over already?

There were so many great space scenes, all very dynamic, kinetic. I love the sinusoidal strafing effect of ballistic rounds being fired as the ship moves in curved trajectories.

Excellent start to season 3.

21. robertawillisjr

I just finished the last two episodes and I am disappointed. I know you can't expect a movie or TV series to adhere to the books BUT for the first two seasons the program has largely adhered to the gestalt of the books. I am not sure that this is still true. I feel that they are taking a big and complicated story and trying to make it small and simple. We will see as things unfold.

22. robertawillisjr

23. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I bloody hope not!

24. agentalbert

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This is total BS! I can't believe that crap like The Magicians and Krypton is getting higher ratings that a proper scifi show like The Expanse with many more books of source material.

This leaves only one other scifi show of note as a going concern - Westworld. Sigh.

Old Mac, GodShifter and marmalade166 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.