‘The Facts Of Life’ reboot in the works with Leonardo DiCaprio, Jessica Biel in talks to produce

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

‘The Facts Of Life’ Reboot In the Works With Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way & Jessica Biel In Talks To Produce

‘The Facts Of Life’ Reboot In the Works With Leonardo DiCaprio’s Appian Way & Jessica Biel In Talks To Produce

by Nellie Andreeva
    August 3, 2018 11:53a

EXCLUSIVE: Another classic 1980s sitcom is eyeing a comeback. I hear a reboot of The Facts of Life is in early stages at Sony Pictures TV, with Appian Way, the company run by Leonardo DiCaprio and Jennifer Davisson, in negotiations to produce the project alongside Jessica Biel via her Iron Ocean Films. The potential series is currently looking for a writer. The studio declined comment.

The Facts of Life, a spinoff of Diff’rent Strokes, aired on NBC from 1979-88, making it one of the longest-running sitcoms of the decade. Charlotte Rae starred as Edna Garrett, a housemother at the fictional Eastland School, an all-female boarding school in Peekskill, New York. Garrett later is promoted to school dietician, and four of the girls move into new quarters above the cafeteria. She eventually leaves the school and opens her own business, with help from her girls. The series focused on issues that teenage girls face such as drug use, sex, eating disorders and peer pressure.

The Facts of Life, created by Dick Clair and Jenna McMahon, was nominated for three Emmys over the course of its nine-year run, including lead actress in a comedy for Rae. The series starred Lisa Welchel as Blair, Kim Fields as Tootie, Mindy Cohn as Natalie, and Nancy McKeon as Jo.

Sony TV recently successfully rebooted the Norman Lear classic One Day At A Time, which is heading into its third season on Netflix.

There have been two revivals of 1980s multi-camera comedies to return to broadcast TV, Roseanne on ABC last season, and Murphy Brown on CBS this coming season. (Roseanne was canceled in May over star Roseanne Barr’s racial tweet and will be replaced by a spinoff series, The Conners.)

Additionally, the 1980s ALF also is plotting a comeback at Warner Bros. TV and is currently looking for a writer.

Appian Way has produced a number of movies, including the Oscar-nominated The Wolf of Wall Street. Biel executive produces the USA Network anthology The Sinner, whose first installment earned her an acting Emmy nomination.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My god, what a horrible idea.

3. Why? There's enough out there to make me sick already.

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

I can't see this going well, at all. The original show wasn't very good, and how it lasted as long as it did, I've never understood. Can someone, anyone, please come up with something new and fresh for us to watch?

5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Next, there's gonna be a reboot of 'Silver Spoons', with a grown up Ricky Schroder.

mrdon and MikeInFla like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

'The Facts Of Life’ Reboot In the Works With Leonardo DiCaprio & Jessica Biel.

That's as far as I got. My brain saw that title. So horrible it's brilliant.

Erik Tracy, longdist01 and MikeInFla like this.
  7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

If they brought back Jason Bateman and Alfonso Ribeiro then I'm game!

Grunge Master likes this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Why is everything a reboot these days?

Darryl

longdist01 likes this.
  9. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

The first season wasn’t too bad, with the larger cast. I watched it because I was a fan of Different Strokes at the time.

It was all downhill from there once they changed focus to the core group of girls and even worse when they changed the setting to the candy store and lost Mrs. Garrett.

10. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

But they gave us George Clooney with a mullet. You have to be thankful for that.
    [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  11. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

If they got Jason Bateman to come back that would be a winner.

12. BeatlesObsessive

BeatlesObsessive The Earl of Sandwich Ness

I'm not proud of it.. but I was 14 so I did watch it a few times in the 83-84 season. Rough times. I'm thinking whoever stars in the reboot is going to be more Kendall Jenner, Demi Lovato than Mindy Cohn so it might have a decent chance of making it. Now get Mindy Cohn as Mrs. Garrett and set it at a fancy rich girls school on the Upper East Side and you could really do something.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I would watch that.

14. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Stuff like this makes me think The world is really coming to an end!

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ehh hey usually just grab the title for name recognition. the actual show probably wont resemble the old one.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Why won't they give us what we really want - a rebooted M*A*S*H starring Adam Sandler?

17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Oh, very much so-- especially Leonardo DiCaprio being on it (I didn't like him that much when he was in that 1997 Titanic film, and now this?!)!

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, he'll just develop and executive produce it. I think there's zero chance of him acting on TV ever again.

bmasters9 likes this.
  19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

Good! I'm glad about that at least, because Leo has (IMO) been one of the worst actors I have ever seen.

20. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Only if Mrs. Garrett comes back.

21. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Bad taste

22. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Nope. The show was no good without her. Since she can't be in the reboot, then I say let it be.

23. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

The bad taste is that she just died yesterday. Though maybe you didn't know. I thought it was a joke and a bit perplexing when you say "only if.." like it is an option.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You should be ashamed for that

dkmonroe likes this.
  25. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Hopefully the new show will have an episode in which Natalie gets laid for the second time.

BeatlesObsessive likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.