The Feuding Zappas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Well, if we're gonna thread-drift...

[​IMG]

Farmer Mike likes this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

3. gd0

Rowrrr... pretty wife. I wouldn't swap her out.

Dweez also participated in some lame cooking show with then-GF Lisa Loeb.

Also Rowrrr...

4. Chris DeVoe

I'm pretty sure that earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that Dweezil and his family only have health insurance because of Megan's job as a flight attendant. Being a working musician is not a path to riches, especially when one isn't primarily a songwriter. You have to get attention any way you can these days.

5. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Speaking of attention....
    Someone on the Kickstarter 'comments' ponders whether this could ALL be a 'Kaufman-esque' attempt at keeping the 'Zappa' name in the papers!
    ...while that WOULD be hilarious, I don't think that's the case...

6. Chris DeVoe

Do you think all this is ultimately going to be settled in the wrestling ring? OK, as long as Dweezil gets Jim Cornette as manager.

Where is Celebrity Deathmatch now that we really need it? Dweezil and Moon, versus Ahmet and Diva (with her signature "mile-long scarf" move.)

heepsterandrey, Gumboo and vince like this.
  7. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Frank didn't want me to buy bootlegs, I disagreed with the morals of them too but I still bought them 'cos I love Frank's music.
    I disagree with the politics of ZFT but, just like the bootlegs, I'm still going to buy the CDs 'cos I love Frank's music.
    I support DZ in his crusade to keep playing his father stuff because, guess what, I love Frank's music.
    At the end of the day it's about my relationship to Frank and his music that's central to how I look at this situation , this other stuff just gets in the way of the music.

8. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I'll allow it!!!

PDK, Runicen and Chris DeVoe like this.
  9. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

10. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

11. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

Ahmet and Joe, talking about the Vault, the UMe deal, the house, Dweezil (briefly), and the future:
    Securing Frank Zappa’s Vault

Optimistically, he looks to the opportunities ahead. In May, Ahmet plans to open Utility Muffin research Kitchen’s new location, and a home for a new vault. “When you’re in the control room, behind you will be windows into the room, and you’ll be able to see just how much content Frank made,” Ahmet says. “It will be the crown jewel of this space.”

marblesmike and vince like this.
  12. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I was just reading about Picasso and his family's never-ending feud over his estate and it made me think of Zappa... For your reference:

Runicen likes this.
  13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Is it uncharitable that I read this and think, "Wow... the talentless leeches and ambulance chasers can even come from within a deceased artist's family...?"

Maybe I'm just feeling particularly stung reading this after reading the updates on Prince's estate. :realmad:

Terrapin Station and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

From ganma's reference:

Since selling off most of Picasso's personal art collection and other physical items of value, the Picasso heirs today are each extremely wealthy. Most of their fortunes have come from selling his name to everything from perfume to restaurants.
    Thankfully, few want to eat at at a Zappa's restaurant. The Burnt Weenie Sandwich will never become haute cuisine. Even fewer would want to wear a Franktm perfume.

ganma, Gumboo, Fullbug and 1 other person like this.
  15. gd0

Oh, I don't know... a bowl of Horribly Foreshortened Cornfkakes sounds pretty good right about now.

PDK, ParloFax, Runicen and 1 other person like this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Hmm... I don't know. A "Broken Hearts Are for ***holes" line of greeting cards would probably go over very well! Someone get Hallmark on the horn! :D

Tristero, Gumboo, Farmer Mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

I don't think anyone would forgive receiving a "Suicide Chump" card though.

edenofflowers and Runicen like this.
  18. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

That is. A. Great. Idea.

Runicen likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

I've worked for Hallmark. Let's just say, that is more of an American Greetings type of card.

Fullbug and Runicen like this.
  20. hutchenstance

hutchenstance Well-Known Member

I think Zappa's music has aged very poorly...I just dont' think any young kids are getting into it... about the last relevance Zappa had to younger people was when Phish would cover Peaches and that was about 20 years ago! Whatever the trust is doing they are failing badly...

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

"Making available" stuff that was already available is not the most exciting news flash.

Fullbug and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  22. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Aged poorly? Some maybe.
    Family Trust failing to attempt marketing? Probably.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

New article in the LA Weekly:

Despite Family Legal Battles, Dweezil Zappa Keeps Playing His Father's Music

From the article:

“There’s a trademark issue that’s happening where [Ahmet and Diva] have filed to establish themselves as exclusive rights holders of the surname Zappa,” Dweezil says. “Anything that is ticketed entertainment — live music, personal appearance, music production, music festivals — all these things, they want to have the exclusive rights to the name Zappa. If they were to be granted the exclusive rights to the name Zappa, they could have the ability to block me from being able to use the name my father gave me to identify myself. So much of this is completely unnecessary and a huge waste of money. But they’re spending the money of the trust to do it.”

From The Real Frank Zappa Book:

“People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly ‘strange names’. But the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Runicen and richard a like this.
  24. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

The bread things are all dry 'n' scratchy
    The meat thing where the cats ate trough the paper
    And the stuff in the strainer
    The bananaes are black
    The got flies in the back
    And also the chicken
    In the dish with the foil
    Where the cream is all clabbered
    And the salad is frightful

gd0 likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

I know some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.