The Feuding Zappas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I am a tiny bit disappointed that they're not doing Black Napkins, but Sofa #2 is a good replacement.

Here's one of my favorite Oak Park kids, Carter Scofield playing Black Napkins last year.

Veni Vidi Vici, boboquisp and Cassiel like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Here's Inca Roads from Sunday's Chicago School of Rock Zappa tribute:

(OK, it's not specifically about feuding Zappas. They seem to have settled their beef, or are at least on the way to settling it. But playing Frank's music is the only way to truly keep it alive - by teaching it to young musicians.)

3. Chris DeVoe

Very cool thing - UMRK engineer Mark Pinske posted on the comments for the video:

As Frank Zappa's Chief Recording Engineer for over 8 years I can honestly say Frank would have LOVED this version of Inca Roads and what you guys played. He was always moved and delighted when students and other musicians played one of his songs. You can see proof of that when we landed at an airport in and there was a band playing one of his compositions. He Lit up and started directing them. It is all on YouTube.

4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Why are you posting school of rock videos and comments in a Zappas Feuding thread? Seems you could post in a Zappa musical thread if you wanted to show off the kids and your videos. Seems off topic and odd when there are so many good Zappa musical threads you could piggyback on

ArpMoog and Doggiedogma like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

As I mentioned earlier, the feud is settled, or at least is well on it's way to being settled. This is the most visited Zappa thread on here, and I have to admit - I'm proud of these kids. I've been shooting video of a few of them since they were nine years old. I'm no relation to any of them, but it's like I have dozens of nieces and nephews...and if your nephew could play "Inca Roads", wouldn't you be proud? It's not as if I'm posting non-Zappa music to a Zappa thread.

7. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Why the hell not? This thread isn't a court case where the parties have to stay on topic. And since the topic of the thread is ABSOLUTELY the handling of FZ's legacy, showcasing amazing kids who are doing as much in their own way to keep this music alive as either Dweezil or Ahmet, Project/Object, etc., is utterly relevant.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Of course there is the pride of their performance and your video work if you are inclined. The feud thread is not about the music. No, not at all.

It's wonderful that they can tackle Inca Roads, and I like all of any FZ covers that they have done of might do.

But especially if they do more than just FZ, then yes, I am correct that they deserve their own thread, either one that is all about you and your work with them, or all about them (or both) including others video and photo work. Whatever it is these kids can rise up to be is where it is at. I think that they already rise above being trapped in a Zappa family Feud thread - even if you state the feud is all over now.

They deserve more than this presentation. Give them that.

Boswell and Doggiedogma like this.
  9. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

That's fantastic footage...FZ seems genuinely impressed and touched by that musical greeting. Anyone know the story behind this clip?

10. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Those videos of the kids are great. And a perfect way to bookend the discussion and feud. It's all about keeping the music alive. So those videos are perfect. Rock on, Viva Zappa....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Not sure of the whole story behind how/why it happened, but I do know it was The U.S. Navy Band, San Francisco Airport, 1980.

Greenalishi and Echoes71 like this.
  12. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

I think those kids should take a leaf out of this guy's book and get to grips with the 'statistical density' of the song before going public with their performance. This guy is obviously a Derek Bailey fan! I'll leave the conceptual continuity for you all to figure out!

:winkgrin:

showtaper, quicksrt and Greenalishi like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Thank you. I'll try not to do it too much, but I'll probably post one or two other videos, like RDNZL or Peaches, which was awesome.

I have one. I think it's on page 47 now. I was trying to get Chicago Forum members to show up for these shows and failed.

It's not as if I am posting these things every week - even the most advanced locations take four or five years before they are able to produce a crop of students who can attempt Zappa. In my whole School of Rock career since 2009, there have been exactly three Zappa shows, one of which I wasn't able to film.

Steve Litos likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Peaches en Regalia:

15. Chris DeVoe

Zomby Woof:

...OK, that's the last of them. No need to mute me.

Greenalishi and Veni Vidi Vici like this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

This warms my heart.

(As would a reconciliation of the Zappa siblings, and Dweezil being allowed to bill himself as Zappa Plays Zappa again.)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I've already tried to take Chris to task for hijacking threads about the actual Zappa participants in the actual Zappa family drama so he can pimp his school. He doesn't seem to have a problem with it, and shows totally no shame in his constant obsession. Since we obviously cannot stop him, I suggest we just refer to him as "Bradley"...and his school as "Amy" in all further references. I myself would have prefer referring to him as, "Zoogz", and the school as "his mantis", but most of the board would not get the references unless they spent any time in alt.fan.frank-zappa.

ArpMoog, Boswell, quicksrt and 2 others like this.
  18. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Zoogz Rift? Man, that takes me back.

19. Chris DeVoe

Again, it's young musicians actually playing Zappa music, which as thread drift barely qualifies compared to some of the posts I've seen (without even mentioning your own topical excursions.) I'm proud of them, I'm proud of my work, and I think my pride is justified. Or would you feel I'd contribute more with yet another "What's your favorite..." poll?

Just to clarify: I have no business relationship with the School of Rock. My wife and I show up, I shoot the videos on spec, I sell DVDs to the parents. As a business, it makes no sense, and the sad truth is that the more skilled the kids, the worst the DVD sales - a bunch of nine year olds bashing their way through some Black Sabbath songs will always outsell the Zappa show. But I'll shoot the latter because I enjoy it.

Edit to add: I checked my posts to this epic length thread. Out of my 209 posts to it in all the years since it started, 57 of them mentioned the School of Rock. You're welcome. I have to go sleep.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Pete Puma likes this.
  20. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well, I'll be DARNED!
    It appears as if the Zappa site is now PROMOTING Dweezil's "Choice Cuts" tour on the web-site!!!!!
    Dweezil Zappa - Choice Cuts North America Tour 2018

It's dated the 6th of June...so, sorry if this is old news to some of you....
    STILL..... a good sign, if ever there was one!

Cheevyjames, Runicen, Boswell and 6 others like this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

What next, peace in the Middle East?

Runicen and edenofflowers like this.
  22. It’s so cool to listen to these kids playing Frank’s music. Thanks for posting.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Kinda the barnacle under Papa's bilge in the ol' newsgroup, eh?

24. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Haha! I was friends with Zoogz for years. I totally get how a lot of folks did not like him. Papa, oh yeah, I remember him, email bombing members.

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

The article is fascinating until it says "Frank is someone that a large part of the population absolutely adores" whence it totally strays into fantasy, since 99% of the population could give a rat's patoot...
    ...meanwhile, I'm hitting up some Nigerian friends to see if I can troll together $9M to buy the house. Then I'll give it to Dweezil and call it "Zappa Living Zappa" and see if we get sued by his own brother. (I believe Frank must be rolling over in his grave).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.