The Fifth Avenue Band/ Peter Gallway--great 1969 Rockin' Soul with horns--& Peter solo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

The Fifth Avenue Band
    Note the producers too...pretty legendary stuff.

With legendary Peter Gallway on guitar and vocals...I'll explore some more Peter Gallway here too...Hat Check Girl included.

[​IMG]

Artist: Fifth Avenue Band
    Album: The Fifth Avenue Band
    Label: Reprise Records
    Catalog#: RS 6369
    Format: Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 1969
    Genre: Rock, Pop Rock

Side One:
    A1. Fast Freight - 03:39
    A2. One Way Or The Other - 02:26
    A3. Good Lady Of Toronto - 04:02
    A4. Eden Rock - 02:29
    A5. Country Time Rhymes - 03:44
    Side Two:
    B1. Nice Folks - 02:26
    B2. Cockeyed Shame - 02:46
    B3. Faithful Be Fair - 04:08
    B4. In Hollywood - 03:27
    B5. Angel - 03:35

Recorded at Sun West Recording Studios, Hollywood, and Mirasound, New York.
    Producer by Erik Jacobsen, Jerry Yester, Zal Yanovsky
    Art Direction – Ed Thrasher

Personel:
    Rhythm Guitar, Lead Vocals – Peter Gallway
    Bass, Flute – Jerry Burnham
    Drums – Peter Heywood
    Keyboards – Murray Weinstock
    Lead Guitar, Bass – Kenny Altman
    Lead Vocals – Jon Lind
    Duration: 00:35:34

Man great horns..jazz fusion...Angel

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    a slice of rainbow and jkauff like this.
  2. lemonade kid

3. lemonade kid

4. lemonade kid

The guitarist from his 1981 release is a good friend and this one is awesome (available at Peter's site). Mark Wainer, lead guitar, is second from left...a good friend here in Brunswick.

Pater Gallway & The Real Band, Portland Maine 1981

Out In The Parking Lot

a slice of rainbow likes this.
  5. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I’ll check them out for sure.

6. lemonade kid

Peter Gallway...

Born and raised in New York City, Peter Gallway cut his musical teeth at a time which fostered the talents of the Lovin’ Spoonful, James Taylor, Richie Havens and Laura Nyro. Recording just out of high school with his group The Strangers, he eventually made three albums for the Warner/Reprise label, the first of which was with the highly acclaimed Fifth Avenue Band. His following two solo outings written and recorded in Los Angeles, Ohio Knox and Peter Gallway, led to extensive touring across the United States and Japan.
    • After five years in Southern California Peter re-located to the state of Maine where he based his touring band, honed his recording skills, and continued to write and eventually produce projects for other artists. 1978 and 1979 saw the release of On the Bandstand for the Vividsound label of Tokyo and Tokyo to Kokomo, an Imagination/Rounder release in the United States.
    • The 1980’s brought the increased popularity of his band and tours of Japan. His song Sunday Basketball was featured in the film Hoopla for the Basketball Hall Of Fame and he was voted Best Songwriter at the Maine Music Awards. He further collaborated on three acclaimed works of musical theater through the Maine Festival of the Arts and through the Portland Stage Company by way of The National Endowment for the Arts. His sixth album Proof was released through Fishtraks in 1985. Meanwhile his list of production credits was growing to include multiple projects with Devonsquare, Aztec Two-Step, Cormac McCarthy, Tom Pirozzoli, and more.
    • In 1988 Peter moved back to New York City and produced Cliff Eberhardt, Christine Lavin, Japan’s Bread and Butter and Hawaii’s Kalapana. A second Fifth Avenue Band collection Really was recorded in 1990 and released on the Pony Canyon label of Tokyo and greater involvement with US recording companies led to an A&R consultancy with Shanachie Entertainment. Meanwhile he produced and recorded another collection of his own music Small Good Thing, released through the Gadfly label in 1994. Other projects of that period included Jim Infantino Live, Jabbering Trout, Devonsquare, and sessions with the legendary Laura Nyro. Shortly thereafter, he embarked on the critically acclaimed Astor Place Recordings project Time and Love: the Music of Laura Nyro featuring Rosanne Cash, Jane Siberry, Jill Sobule and Patty Larkin.1998 brought the release of his own live anthology A Night In Time followed by 1999’s autobiographical Redemption, both on the Gadfly label. These were accompanied by the second conceptual collection for Astor Place, the Grammy nominated Bleecker Street: Greenwich Village in the 60’s featuring Chrissie Hynde, Marshall Crenshaw and Suzanne Vega.

7. lemonade kid

The Fifth Avenue Band 1969

[​IMG]

One Way Or The Other

8. lemonade kid

9. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Peter Gallway is one cool guy. Saw him solo in a small club a few years after Ohio Knox, with an audience in the low tens. I called out a request for "Pound", and he nearly fell off his chair. Once the lyrics came back to him, he played it as if the room were packed. A truly underappreciated talent.

Thanks for the thread.

10. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I've owned a copy of 5th AB back in the day,thanks to those wonderful Warner/Reprise Loss Leaders. Our college station had a copy of October,10,1969,so if anyone wants to know when 5th AB was released,well,its 10/1069. Also a track on Schlagers,but by then I had the album. This album is a reason why labels on music styles fail. It just was a great collection of stuff that could have straddled AM & FM radio with ease. Went nowhere-just remember the albums & singles released from the era? Lots of left field one shots,including the biggest from that 10/10/69 release group-Norman Greenbaum's Spirit In The Sky. But the One Way Or the Other/Fast Freight 45 died(Discogs today has prices on the promo for twenty bucks on the low end). When the LP showed up in cutout bins,I should have scooped a few. I didn't know Ohio Knox was Peter Gallway till an FM radio interview clued me in. A much less produced album than 5th AB,the goofiness was part of the fun. Warner put this out as a gatefold,threw a track on another single LP Loss leader:Non-Dairy Creamer and waited for the cutouts. The chosen track-the above mentioned Pound- the complete title as Pound Or My Dog Dad for Robert Downey(A Prince). Downey was a popular indi film maker(before there were indi film makers).Most folks know about his kid,Robert Jr.,aka Ironman(and a tabloid history with drugs). There must be a book in there. I found Peter's 1972's self-titled album in another cutout bin-a great balance between 5th AB & Ohio Knox. How did I get rid of that one? Years later he shows up as the behind the scenes guy for a fine Laura Nyro tribute album and worked on her last album. After all these years,he's alive & well,still creating,and keeping Laura's flame alive. He is one of those guys if you see his name on credits,don't hesitate-there is a treasure awaiting.

11. lemonade kid

Thanks for your stories.

[​IMG]

That gig where my friend saw Peter: the merch table at a John Sebastian show a couple years ago (at Soho in Santa Barbara). A cool guy by all accounts and much great music over the decades for sure.

I'm getting that Ohio Knox album from a friend. Can't wait.

[​IMG]

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I just found the Ohio Knox LP the other day. Some cool songs, including "Pound" as mentioned above.

Just found this on YouTube - James Taylor plugs the Ohio Knox album.

13. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

Ohio Knox promo poster - I got this (with permission) from the wall in a high school English class, probably soon after the LP came out. The reddish 'blush' on Peter's face is intentional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. a slice of rainbow

a slice of rainbow Active Member

Hi jmcinnis, never seen this Ohio Knox poster! The names of the musicians played on this album can be seen… I have the same photo (8 x 10) for a press kit as the poster you have. What is the size of the poster?

jmcinnis likes this.
  15. a slice of rainbow

Hi jkauff, thank you for your great memory… Can you recall the name of the venue, place…? I examined the lyrics of “Pound”, but it’s very tuff for me to appreciate it… I’ve found a part of movie posted on YouTube titled “Robert Downey Jr 1st Movie Role as Puppy in the Movie POUND”. Any relation? Anyway, one of the coolest tune from the album!

16. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

A very close relation--his son. Robert Downey Sr. was the writer/director of several brilliantly wacky movies in the 60s and 70s (Putney Swope, Greaser's Palace, Pound, etc.), then turned to more mainstream work-for-hire in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. He lives in NYC, but is essentially retired.

How did PG come to write the theme song for Pound? No idea, but I'd love to know.

17. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

The poster measures 24" W x 33" H (60.96 cm W x 83.82 cm H). It is on fairly thin poster stock, as many record store promo posters would be.

18. a slice of rainbow

Oh, very large! Jealous! Thanks for your reply…

19. a slice of rainbow

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t know that was the theme song for Pound. Thanks for the info!

20. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

I have got the Fifth Avenue Band and like it very much , but find the label "jazz fusion" a little misleading

21. lemonade kid

True. A wiki thing I guess. More of rock and soul with horns. Pete is all soul, rock and folk over the years--if you wanna call that fusion, ok, but it's just what he loves. Motown soul is where his heart is.

Oh... when I heard him live on Saturday, Aug. 17...he performed a medley of his own and "Do You Believe In Magic" (of course by his lifelong friend John Sebastian). He ended the show with "Dancing In The Street"! Soulful and rocking. Really powerful rendition by Peter, with Andrea soaring on vocal backup and percussion, and Mark's searing lead guitar.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    thematinggame likes this.
  22. a slice of rainbow

Peter Gallway of the Strangers, James Tylor of the Flying Machine. They both played at the Night Owl Café, Greenwich Village in the 60’s…

lemonade kid likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

More on Peter is appreciated! it's hard to find stories and his history online--we need a bio of his amazing life in music.

24. a slice of rainbow

Peter Gallway talks about his early musical career before singing “Hello Stranger” for Joe Marra's 85th birthday party! Cool!!

lemonade kid likes this.
  25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.