The first 2 Acoustic Sounds 45's arrived! / Recording techniques, then and now.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by cunningham, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cunningham

cunningham Forum Resident Thread Starter

The first 2 Acoustic Sounds 45's arrived!

Relaxin' with Miles and Waltz for Debbie. Good looking!
    It's going to be tough to open them.....
    Steve, are those actual signatures or printed labels?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

What 'cha mean? I still have a hand cramp. :(

Up at the top, correct? I'm on the left, Kevin on the right.

3. cunningham

The only sigs I can find are on the 1.5"x 2.5" stick-on label at the lower right hand corner. The sticker is on the plastic cover and not the album. Is that right?

4. Steve Hoffman

Gary, buddy, you're freaking me out.

Open the records up. There should be a giant printed insert in there. That's where they are.

Report back.

5. cunningham

Ok, they were there! On the printed insert with the lp's.
    I did not realize that they were inside the sleeve, as I had not opened then yet.

Very nice deal, and i can see why your hand must be worn out.
    I noticed that you have tried to maintain your full signature, while Kevin's signature has evolved into a squiggle. Lets see, 100 x 50 + 250 x 2 = 5500 signatures.... Yep, that's gotta hurt.

Now that i have opened them, I guess I will play them!

Warm up the tubes.

6. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Waltz and Relax

Well, I have opened AND listened to them.

BRAVO!!!!!!!!

Ultra clean, quiet, and flawless vinyl with the most YOU ARE THERE sound you could ever imagine possible!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new standard has now been established.

Thanks Steve, Kevin, Chad, Don, Rick and everyone at RTI and Analogue Productions.

Where do I sign for the next 25?????

Ben Canas

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Drats, mine hasn't arrived yet. Ben, did they get you're number correct?

Todd

8. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Sure did.
    You'll also find inside the box a signed thanks note from Chad.
    I hope when the next series comes about we get first crack at keeping the same number.

BC

9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Am I the only one that has opened AND listened to these babies?
    Any one else wishes to opine?
    BC

10. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I was stunned on the lack of comment too (hypocritical since I've only been lurking lately myself). I suppose we're all too busy listening?? Seriously people, I feel sorry for those of you who just won't embrace the LP no matter what. You're truly missing out here. There is no finer sounding software on the planet (aside from open reel I suppose).. I could only imagine what a sonic masterpiece like the Contemporary LPs will sound like. Holy moly! And I've only just heard disc 1 of Waltz For Debby. I'm absolutely stunned at the "you are there" sound of these records!

Great work Steve, Kevin, AP, etc (as always! :D ). Hopefully you'll do another series of 25 (keep Booker Ervin/Jaki Byard in mind!!).

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Same here.

I've been in heaven for the last 3 days.

Can you imagine some Little Richard and other Specialty (also owned by Fantasy) with the Steve/Kevin treatment at 45 RPM????

Imagine the possibilities.

BC

12. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Wow! Now you're thinking... I've never spent more than $30 for a new record, but $50 in this case seems reasonable. It's an all around winner - packaging, quality of mastering/manufacture, and of course performance! These are truly heirloom pressings (is there such a thing?). It will not ever get any better than this (on vinyl anyway, IMO).

Some Specialty sides would be most welcome! Great idea. I wonder if Chad lurks around here looking for fun reissue suggestions :)

13. Mike V

Mike V New Member

BTW, I've given RTI pressings a hard time sometimes, but I take it all back. These are far & away the quietest surfaces I have heard from them ever. AP must be sneaking Quiex vinyl from Classic when they're not looking :laugh:

14. Todd Fredericks

I listened to my 45's last night and I was in heaven too. My God, I could've almost walked into the venue on the Bill Evan's album! I was satisfied with everything (music, pressings, packaging, autographs, Chad's letter, etc.). I look forward to the next batch!!

Todd

P.S. They also got the number correct (#20)!

15. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

I got mine on Tuesday (I'm number 19). Played both. Amazing! Wonderful! etc etc. These really are special. Good thing I've only started to listen to jazz in the last few years so most of these titles are new to me. The only ones I've already got are Mile Davis Cookin' (SACD) and Wes Montgomery Full House (DCC gold cd).

16. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

Re: #19

Number 23 here.
    I already had multiple LP and CDs of 17 titles. I can't wait to hear the 8 I've never heard before. And yet, I can think of another 25 just as worthy Monk, Miles, Rollins, etc for the next batch. Believe me THERE WILL BE A NEXT BATCH once people start opening AND listening to these.

FOLKS...do not hoard these sealed with the hope of making a killing (money wise).
    Life is too short.
    LISTEN TO THEM.

BC

17. Todd Fredericks

Invest in Real Estate, play records!!!

Todd

18. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I listened to them last night, for the first time. I brought them over to a friends house to listen to them on his $800 grado cartridge. I suspect they will sound just fine on my stereo too.

Now, to start with, these are already classics albums by great musicians. And, it's great that they are being re-released and celebrated instead of being forgotten.

I think that only people who are really fans of music could create something this nice. This is a music fan's dream. Every aspect of the records, down to the packaging, is perfect in every way. The album covers are recreations of the original cover, no extra logo's or nothing. The labels are recreations of the original labels. The records are big heavy slabs, which reminds me of the old records we love, and the sound is as perfect and life-like as you can get, it's a time machine to the fifties.

You can really tell the care that went into these pressings; they are perfect, I ain't kidding. The only pops and tics you're gonna hear, will be coming from Scott LaFaro's fingers rattling on the bridge of his bass.

We'll have a lot more to say about them after we play them a bunch more times.

19. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Mine arrived yesterday. I played both LP's last night, WOW, absolutely brilliant sounding records. The note from Chad caught me by surprise too, a nice touch to the wonderful package. Now I can't wait for next month's serving!!!:goodie: (#48 on the list)

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

What happened after you played them??

BC

21. cunningham

Well, I did play them, and they are quite beautiful. I have a first, or very early pressing of Relaxin', which is in great condition. The AS 45, by comparison, has a considerably grander soundstage with more presence. As someone else in this post mentioned, "You are there". One does tend to get rather excited and grabby about the next batches. You want them NOW!

22. Steve Hoffman

Gary, I'm sure you mean a greater sense of depth, correct?

The actual soundstage is a total illusion since this is a mono recording. The instrument "leakage" makes for a nice natural recording, full of depth.

Too bad most engineers started isolating instruments in the recording environment; took away that natural "live" sound.

23. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Steve Hits the Nail on the Head

Just listen to some of those Sony Music SACD's from 3 track masters of Miles, etc., then listen to some new acoustic multi-channel SACD's from Sony Music direct on DSD to SACD disk. The magic in the old stuff is just not there. Don't these producers and artists have ears?

Richard.:confused:

24. Todd Fredericks

I found the tonality and realism of Miles' horn incredible. Yes, I also perceived a greater sense of depth (and height).

Todd

25. Steve Hoffman

Re: Steve Hits the Nail on the Head

With recording engineers it is all about CONTROL. The ability to mix instruments without any bleed through is paramount. Even one of my favorite engineer/producers Norman Petty of Buddy Holly fame abandoned "natural" recording the minute he set up his 16 track system. One instrument, one channel, total isolation. The mixer's dream!

Unfortunately, our ears don't hear things in isolation like that. It's like running up and putting your ears next to the snare drum, and then running over to the bass amp, and then sticking your ear next to the violin player's bow. Trying to do all of that at the same time (when listening to close-miked music) just sends a signal to the brain that "this is not real".

If the music is good, it transcends this process, but still, I miss the "old" sound. (What a surprise!) ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.