The First Song That You Remember

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iDigital

iDigital Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All, I thought that it would be cool to start a thread to discuss and/or to state the very first song that you heard, regardless of your age at the time of first hearing it or it's genre, the first song that is still with you today perhaps in some strange way, did it influence you ? and how ? I will start the ball rolling, my first song that I remember that really captivated me and still does is "Those were the days " sung by Mary Hopkin, and produced by Paul McCartney, I was 7 years old, I sang that song to death as a kid and it still travels with me, don't have a copy of it though, funny that, prior to that, about a year earlier, I remember a couple of my siblings and a couple of friends plus myself were playing together in the sun room with the radio on in the background and it was playing The Beatles " I am the Walrus " and I remember that we all stopped playing towards the end of the song, listened to the rest of it and we began rolling around the floor in fits of laughter, had no idea of The Beatles at such an age, but still, very witty and funny all the same, both of those situations were experienced at the time of original release per the songs, how about you ? what is your first song that got you ? let's hear it !

2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Yellow Submarine :) heard it as a baby in 2000 or something because my mom got herself the then-new "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" (she even had the movie on VHS, IIRC). The CD is still with us, the tape sadly not.

Road Ratt and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  3. T.Rex - Hot Love (for me, June-ish 1971)

My uncle bought me a radio/headlight/indicator 'thing' that attached to the handlebars of my first bicycle and I remember Hot Love being on air nearly every day as I cycled around the block of maisonettes we lived in at the time. The other song I distinctly remember was Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep but I won't go into that...

4. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

Various songs off of these two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That my dad had recorded onto cassette to play in the car. Must have been 3 or 4 years old. Another McCartney one was the CHOBA album.

But I was video-taped at 10 months old leaning on a table and moving in rhythm to Queen's Another One Bites the Dust... Though I don't recall that moment. Couldn't walk at the time but could boogie down.

warewolf95 and SixOClockBoos like this.
  5. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls. Hearing it throughout my childhood, I thought it was awesome. Hearing it now, it is the most blatant rip-off (of "Asking Me Lies") that I have ever heard in my life. Never mind "Fight Test"/"Father And Son" or "Hello I Love You"/"All Day And All Of The Night" or even Vanilla Ice's abortion. You may as well copy the Bible word-for-word and claim that you wrote it and that every idea and event that occurs sprung from your imagination. If the Goo Goo Mucks can make money off of "Slide" I can probably just steal an old lady's walker and claim that it was mine to begin with and get away with it.

A few others I remember: "O-Bla-Di, O-Bla-Da", "Yellow Submarine", "The Globe" by Big Audio Dynamite, and a non-country cover of Merle Haggard's "I'm A Lonesome Fugitive" which I have never been able to find again. I only remember this because I was five years old and in the middle of a long car ride and my mother asked if I wanted to hear "the Rolling Stones". "Yeah, I like that song". I don't remember what song came on, I think "Brown Sugar", but five-year-old me didn't dig it and demanded that the disc be ejected! I never did hear the cover in question again and my mother doesn't recognize the lyrics or melody from Merle's version. I guess I was always insane. (And that might explain why I've never cared for "Brown Sugar"!)

Road Ratt, warewolf95 and Shaddam IV like this.
  6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hmm, maybe The Girl With The Golden Braids by Perry Como. I think I was 4.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  7. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I was younger than five (since I moved to a different town from her at that age), but I remember sitting with my (much older) cousin as she played some Elvis [I can't remember the specific song(s)].

Road Ratt likes this.
  8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Either "Happy Birthday to You" or "Jingle Bells."

More vividly, I remember that my kindergarten teacher (fall of 1966) started every morning by playing an instrumental version of "The Star-Spangled Banner" off a record. Only when I became a first-grader the next year did I learn that the record skipped, because it was then that I learned the words, and they didn't fit the melody I heard 180 school days in a row.

As far as pop songs go, I still distinctly remember "Sugar Town" by Nancy Sinatra playing on my mom's car radio, and all of us kids singing along. It was no later than 1967. To this day, that song brings back that pleasant memory.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Joy-of-radio likes this.
  9. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Beatles- I Feel Fine, 1964

10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Eric Burdon & War - Spill The Wine. Heard on the radio circa 1971

Suncola and lightbulb like this.
  11. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

"Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" on the car radio. I was 6 or 7. lol

12. neilpatto

neilpatto Forum Resident

'Taxman' by The Beatles. As a kid in the mid 60s that count-in and intro had a big impact on me.

13. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

Let’ Stick Together - Bryan Ferry

I was about 4 years old when it released, it was a highly successful song in Australia, so it was on the radio everyday, and whenever it came on I would race to the radio, turn it up and just sit in front waiting for the female part.
    I still love the song and hear it regularly, but I’ve never done any research to find out who performed that part.

14. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Dionne Warwick's version of What the World Needs Now is Love.

I remember as a toddler this song played repeatedly between programs on TV accompanied by some kind of video or montage.

Grant likes this.
  15. keyXVII

keyXVII Forum Resident

Little Star by the Elegants...my mom was an Arthur Murray dance instructor, and she had tons of records. I had my own record player when I was 3 years old.

16. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

My parents gave me a bunch of their old 45's when I got my first record player - I was 5/6 years old maybe. One of those plastic toy record players with built in speaker. In amongst the bunch I recall hearing Rolling Stones version of Chuck Berry's Around and Around.....captivated. Everything else got pushed aside.

Road Ratt, warewolf95 and lightbulb like this.
  17. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I don't know which was the very first, but among them are:

Sherry and Big Girls Don't Cry by The Four Seasons

Fireball (the theme to Fireball XL-5)

and Runaway by Del Shannon, which I heard like at 2am on storming night on a jukebox in a diner in southern California coastal town in my pajamas eating a bowl of onion soup. I was 4. Long story.

warewolf95 and EVOLVIST like this.
  18. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

The first one I can remember that I can pinpoint to a specific time is Pleasant Valley Sunday, Christmas 1967. We were trimming the tree and my sister was playing the song. I was a few months shy of 4 years old. I also remember hearing Eleanor Rigby and Turn, Turn, Turn at a very young age.

19. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

When I was very young, my parents had the Decca Hundred Best Tunes LPs, and the most played record was The Top Ten.
    Sibelius' Finlandia was on it, and, having been made familiar with it and being told what it was, my two year-old self would say, "Play Si-bay-lee-us..."
    The Decca Favourite Composers series was also in the house, and so Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf (narrated by Ralph Richardson) would have been very early too.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Stand & Deliver by Adam & The Ants, I would've been 3 I think.

mtvgeneration, warewolf95 and watty like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

First song I remember hearing is "Miss You" by The Rolling Stones, playing in the car radio when I was about two. It was a brand new song then...

Fullbug, warewolf95 and Shaddam IV like this.
  22. ClevelandProg

ClevelandProg Forum Resident

“Frere Jacques” from my wind-up Smoopy doll

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. ClevelandProg

ClevelandProg Forum Resident

24. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"...my dad played it on the jukebox at a Pizza Hut. I'm guessing this was the summer it was a hit, which means I was 3. What I do recall for sure is that I was terrified of boats for quite some time afterward.

25. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Le Tic-Toc Choc ou Les Maillotins (François Couperin) - harpsichord piece on a 78 rpm gramophone record at my granddad's in 1955 or thereabouts.

bhazen, ParloFax and Joy-of-radio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.