The First Song That You Remember

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't remember the first song I remember remembering. It was a long time ago.

perplexed likes this.
  2. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Tom Dooley.

It must have been either the Kingston Trio or Lonnie Donegan, probably the latter. Aged about 5, I found the concept of combining of love and murder rather difficult to grasp.

Joy-of-radio likes this.
  3. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

in 1963 I was four years old. I was with my mother when Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman" was announced and played on the car radio. I remember my mom commenting that she liked the song.

While I'm at it, a couple others I have early pleasant childhood memories of are "Crooked Little Man" by The Serendipity Singers and "Michael" by The Highwayman. It's this song that I likely have the earliest memories of. I also have very early musical memories of "Little Boxes" by Pete Seeger even though I didn't understand its meaning at the time. I love its melody and the "Little houses made of ticky tacky" part.

I also have early childhood memories of songs by The Beatles, all of which I found far too raucous and unnerving save for "Do You Wanf To Know A Secret", which I enjoy very much.

Road Ratt likes this.
  4. "Silly Love Songs," when it must have been new on the radio. I was 3 and immediately took notice.

I was laying in the back seat of my mother's car (before laws regulated such things for kids), looking up through the rear windshield at the freeway lights zipping past.

Suddenly, the song comes on and I feel lighter, happier, less sleepy.

I couldn't tell you what songs came before or after it, only that this one song stuck with me.

My parents were going through a divorce.

5. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Teriffic song, and another I enjoyed for its melody and musicality even though I didn't realize its meaning at the time. I'll bet many younger folk on this forum hardly get just how popular folk music was throughout the 60s.

6. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

She Loves You. My parents bought me the 45 and I seem to remember that both sides had the same label and one of them had to be marked to distinguish A from B. Don't know what happened to it. Not quite the compulsive collector back then ...

grapenut likes this.
  7. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I remember Bridge Over Troubled Waters on the radio constantly.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Delta Dawn or Top of the World in the early '70s.

9. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Probably "It Was Ours" by Jimmie Helms on the East West label. It popped up in a box of ten cutout 45s that came along with the phonograph my parents got me for my fourth birthday. Also in that box was a copy of "Chicken Scratch/The World Is Round" by Rufus Thomas, which would be a close second.

Still have both floating around somewhere in my collection.

10. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Boney M. "Sunny" :uhhuh:

11. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Rockin’ Robin
    Bobby Day

Road Ratt likes this.
  12. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

If we're discounting nursery rhymes, I'm assured that I would sing Petula Clark's 'Sailor' with extreme gusto to my Aunt Alice & Uncle Judd. I was 3 and have no recollection of this at all. Fortunately all the rellies whom witnessed this have nearly all died off so I will soon be spared being ribbed about it by crones at family get-togethers.

My first real musical recollection was my mom coming home with the 'A Hard Day's Night' LP. The title track and 'If I Fell' being the ones I remember being played the most.

13. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

It was 1974 and me being 5 or 6. I remember vividly being in the kitchen with my mom. She turned up the radio and sang with Julio Iglesias - Un canto a Galicia (in German: Wenn ein Schiff vorüber fährt). :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  14. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

Elvis Presley singing "Hound Dog" to a hound dog puppet on TV. I was 5 years old in 1956.

Road Ratt likes this.
  15. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Here Comes The Sun - The Beatles.

Frozensoda, Road Ratt and snorker like this.
  16. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

The first song that I remember hearing on the radio that caught my attention was King Harvest's "Dancing In The Moonlight." I must have been around four and my parents bought me the 45. It was absolutely mesmerized by it at the time and few things make me happier than hearing it pop up on the Sirius '70s channel now and then.

Mr. D likes this.
  17. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Either "The Warmth of the Sun" (Brian's voice) or "Within You Without You" ( indian instruments reminded me of buzzing summer insects). From the cradle.

18. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The trio of Beatles songs:
    I Want To Hold Your Hand
    She Loves You
    All My Loving

I was surprised to find later on that All My Loving was not also a big #1 hit like the other two. To me as a 5 year old it was just as good!

I also remember Downtown being a big one I really liked.

Road Ratt and grapenut like this.
  19. Fire Brigade by The Move. I remember dancing around the kitchen when it came on the radio. I would have been between 4 and 5 at the time.

neilpatto likes this.
  20. F.Natural

F.Natural Well-Known Member

Mr. Custer , played the hell out of that 45. I wuz 5 or 6.
    Loved Hit The road Jack too, I guess my folks were pretty hip to be into Ray Charles!

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

beep beep - the playmates - wow, i haven't thought about that for a long long time.

i was about 4 or 5 and my mom bought me the 45, played it over and over (she probably hated herself for buying it :)

Road Ratt likes this.
  22. Suncola

Suncola Possibilities

Probably "On Broadway", as it was used in a TV ad campaign for Radio Free Europe that aired frequently in the 60s......here's a later version from 1971:

23. dalem5467

dalem5467 Forum Resident

Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson

24. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

"Bits and Pieces" Dave Clark Five, 1964. I was six years old. Vividly remember my parents playing that on the radiogram along with other singles by the Beatles, Freddie and the Dreamers, Frank Sinatra etc.

ParloFax likes this.
  25. I was born in 1957. The Doggy in the Window is probably the first song I can remember having heard; Mom would sing it when she was minding me.

Road Ratt and Spruce like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.