The First Song That You Remember

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by iDigital, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Theme from a Summer Place. I was down the street on the Binders' porch with awnings. It was summer.
    I guess I was around 2.5-3.

hugh . g. likes this.
  2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Peter and the Wolf around age 2.

3. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

More of a ditty- "Jesus Loves Me"

4. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Growing up, my dad would watch The Glenn Miller Story and The Benny Goodman Story when they aired every year on TCM or AMC or whatever the old movie channel was at that time. The Glenn Miller Story became my favorite movie of all time. The song I always equate with those memories is Moonlight Serenade (my favorite song of all time):

5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

First song I ever heard was probably "Rock-a-bye Baby." Also, "16 Tons" is a song I honestly don't remember NOT knowing.

6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I'll go with the theme to Sesame Street, "Won't You Be My Neighbor", "Spiderman" on Electric Company, Scoobie Doo, The Flintstones/Jetsons, The Brady Bunch, The Batman Theme, Wonder Woman, The Dukes of Hazzard....
    TV generation of the seventies.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  7. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

I am convinced it was one of these 3 for me....

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

whole lotta shakin' by jerry lee lewis is the first I can think of.

hugh . g. likes this.
  9. usrlocal

usrlocal Nice and Smooth

I remember my aunt playing me "Yellow Submarine" on her portable record player when I was about four (~ 1969).

The first single I purchased with allowance money was "Band on the Run"/"Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five", around 1976 or so.

The first albums I purchased were the Beatles' "Red" and "Blue" compilations around the same time.

The rest is history.

10. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

It might have been "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" by Charlie Rich when I was two.

hugh . g. and anth67 like this.
  11. rynopinn

rynopinn Forum Resident

Baby Love by The Supremes

hugh . g. likes this.
  12. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Great thread!
    I distinctly remember my mom singing this one to me & my brother while giving us a bath.
    Released by Kay Kyser and His Orchestra in 1939.

13. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

The first record I remember had to be this one, when I was 2 or 3 years old.
    Loved watching that Ace label spin!

14. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Ballad Of Davy Crockett

forthlin likes this.
  15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Probably something by The Carpenters. I used to sing 'Top of the World' at the top of my lungs while sitting in the grocery cart at the store.

hugh . g. likes this.
  16. Mr. D

Mr. D Forum Resident

Raindrops Keep Fallin On My Head - B.J. Thomas, when I was 5 years old.

In Grade One, I remember the instrumental Popcorn, It's So Nice to Be With You - Gallery, Joy to the World - Three Dog Night and Riders on the Storm - Doors.

In 2nd grade, Paul Simon became my favourite, which I detailed in a class assignment, because he had two hits at the time: Kodachrome and Loves Me Like a Rock.

hugh . g., Road Ratt and anth67 like this.
  17. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Nah, nana, na-na-na-na by the Beatles when I must have been about 3. My dad said, “No, that’s Hey Jude.” I insisted he was wrong. I knew my favorite song.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Road Ratt likes this.
  18. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

I remember when I was around nine, all the kids in the neighborhood started singing this really weird song I'd never heard before. It was about a guy whose friend was a bullfrog that needed help drinking wine. I pictured the bullfrog wearing dark glasses like Charlie the Tuna from the StarKist commercials. And there was a part about wishing joy to the fishes in the deep blue sea. Why were the fishes unhappy? I didn't get it at all. I wasn't big on Charlie the Tuna, and I wasn't sure about this bullfrog either.

Then there was one about God not making little green apples. Of course He made the little green apples. Where do you think little green apples come from?! And why would anyone sing about the horrible green ones when the red ones are a hundred times better anyway?

19. mickey g

mickey g Forum Resident

20. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

Love is Blue
    Penny Lane (instrumental)
    Walkin' in the Sunshine (Sing a little sunshine song)
    A Taste of Honey

it's probably one of those

hugh . g. and apesfan like this.
  21. kevinsponge

kevinsponge Senior Member

I remember Peter Buck talking about this!

Suncola likes this.
  22. obcbobd

obcbobd Forum Resident

discounting something I heard at church or school, I would say something by Johnny Cash. Probably Folsum Prison Blues

23. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Little bit of mix of kids & rock n roll. I had a much older sister who was out the house & married before I was born, she left behind a little record player & some records that I was crazy for. Among the records, "Down By The Station (that pufferbellies song), "Stood Up" by Ricky Nelson, "Witch Doctor" by David Seville and the Chipmunks, and Sheb Wooley "Purple People Eater." I also remember watching the Mickey Mouse Club in the 50s, so that theme song is very likely one of the earliest things I heard.

24. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

The first song that really caught my ear was "Runaway" by Del Shannon. I loved the Musitron solo; it sounded like something
    from outer space. Also, it had a picture of a circus tent on the label (Bigtop) which I thought was pretty cool. I was 3 or 4.

"Monkey" by Harry Belafonte...my dad used to play this for me and I'd 'conga' around the house.

25. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Joy To The World" - Three Dog Night

I was 4 in 1970 and Jeremiah was a bullfrog was a very memorable line.

I was hooked to top 40 radio afterwards. Other early memories were Hot Butter "Popcorn" (recent Steve Hoffman thread), The Spinners "I'll Be Around", The Staple Singers "I'll Take You There," Cornelious Brothers "Treat Her Like A Lady".......I can go on and on.

Top 40 radio 1970-1973 was full of great songs.

ronm, kevinsponge and Kristofa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.