The First Target Disc - $599.99

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by drbryant, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member Thread Starter

2. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

Ah, good old PJ :)

For Collectors I would think this is a nice disc albeit at a pretty darned high price.

Will watch just to see if it sells, thanks.

3. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

is it just me or does that obi not appear to be "mint" like he sais it is. :confused:

4. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

1stpress4less, indeed..

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I have that disc. Paid much, much less for it. That said, it is very rare. However, I would not necessarily say that it was first target pressed. There are several reasons why this may not be so. 38XD-1 is the first target in the first Japanese series to have the discs pressed in Japan. However, a few 38XD titles could been pressed and released concurrently, like the first 50 35DP titles from CBS/Sony. Also, there are 38XP targets, which are West German pressings repackaged for sale in Japan. The 38XP targets could have been issued before or concurrent with the 38XD discs. Furthermore, some early targets issued in other markets could have come before or been released concurrent with the 38XD series. I see no basis for calling 38XD-1 the first target pressed.

On a related subject, this seller listed 38XD-2 Sadao Watanabe Rendezvous at the same time as the 38XD-1 disc for $175. This was about a month ago. 38XD-2 disappeared quickly. I guess he sold it for $175.

Finally, although this seller's listings are similar to PJ's, I have no direct evidence that it is PJ or that there is a connection to PJ. When dealing with 1stpress4less, the contact person has always been Chris Winik. Maybe it's an off-shoot of PJ's business, but PJ does not get involved directly. All I can say is that I have bought several discs from 1stpress4less and have never had a problem. That's a refreshing change from my experience with PJ.

6. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

I have two copies of that one. One I paid $45 on here for, and the other I found in the bins a week later for $5. :laugh: Why does that always happen?

7. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Parkinson law :)

8. drbryant

I agree that it is not correct to call it the "first target" any more than it is to say that 52nd Street is the "first CD", but you can't control what people think, and there is clearly a premium being paid for 52nd Street 35DP-1.

I have both 38XD-1 and 38XD-2, but I have been trapped at the office for 2 days!, and have not been able to see my beloved CD collection. I remember that only one has an obi, and I am hoping it is the 38XD-1, so I can tell myself that I have a $600 disc!

9. KeithH

Sellers will do what they do. I simply wanted to dispel the myth that 38XD-1 was, with certainty, the first target pressed. It was definitely one of the early targets pressed, and we should leave it at that.

35DP 1 has a special place with collectors. In my early days of collecting, I bought into the idea that it was the first CD released commercially. I've learned since then. :)

Sorry to hear that you have been displaced from your CD collection. You deserve a vacation!

10. KeithH

I've had that happen before. Does either copy have the OBI strip? If not, I think it's only worth about $15. The OBI strip brings it up to $600. ;)

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

:biglaugh:

12. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

:laugh: !

Thankfully I have not become interested in collecting OBIs.

13. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I think I mentioned this elsewhere but I did talk to Tony Grymer of endangeredcds in London Ontario. I received 2 discs ordered from 1stpressheaven with Tony's name on the return address. I emailed him to find out what the deal was and found out that he helps out by mailing out a lot of PJ's discs that are here in Canada for 1stpressheaven. He mentioned that PJ keeps busy handling the mailings for 1stpress4less from Japan and at this time all discs ordered from 1stpress4less come from Japan. I believe Funkoff is his third store on EBay.
    Every disc I have purchased from 1stpress4less has been exactly as advertised and very quick with shipping. I will definitely deal again.

Hope this straightens things out. I know it is not direct evidence but I would not tell a lie.

14. PaulT

PaulT Spuzzum

I've also dealt with 1stpress4less and have had no problems. Their prices are all over the place though.

15. drbryant

I just checked and my 38XD-2 has the gold obi; the 38XD-1 is mint but without the obi. Oh well, there goes my $600. :(

16. As Keith said, this may be the first target pressed in Japan for Japan. There were many targets before this in other countries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.