The first three cd's you ever bought

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd Crazy, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teufelzkerl

Teufelzkerl Forum Resident

Until the MoFi version showed up I thought so, too. But I find it sounding warmer and overall better. The original is a bit digital limited and harsh in some places. Don't know how MoFi did it with only a digital source.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  2. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member Thread Starter

I really started something here,great to hear what you guys in the USA bought back then and what machines you played them on mine was Sony cdp 101 which I borrowed £3oo cash off my granddad and £150 I had saved up from my 18th birthday the year before I was that keen on being the first teen at college to own a cd player but got upstaged by a boy who's dad worked for Bang and Olson ! So he said my sony was not as good,but I bought giant Wharfdale speakers and ran it through a secondhand big sony amp and it blow his little system away,put on WYWH my 5th cd I ever bought and deafened him,ha,ha,keep it coming you members.

3. Floyd Crazy

Also more from European members please,like hearing what your first cd players and systems were back then,better say the whole world as members are global. Sorry must include everyone.

4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

We have done this thread many, many times on this forum.

The first five CDs I bought are in this order:

1) Madonna - Like A Virgin
    Purchased in December 1984

2) Prince & The Revolution - Around The World In A Day
    Purchased in March 1985

3) Atlantic Soul Classics - Various Artists
    Purchased June, 1985

4) Jackson 5 - Motown Compact Command Performances
    Purchased June, 1985

5) Al Green - Motown Compact Command Performances
    Purchased June, 1985

I purchased a Realistic (OEM Sanyo) second generation CD player
    Purchased June 1985 from Radio Shack

Also that summer, I purchased:
    6) Diana Ross & The Supremes - Motown Compact Command Performances
    7) Superstars In Digital - WEA Various Artists
    8) Steely Dan - A Decade Of
    9) Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles
    10) Memphis Soul Classics - Various Artists
    11) Motown Elite 9000 Series - Various Artists

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    LRP99 and Floyd Crazy like this.
  5. Floyd Crazy

Let's say first three cds and first player,and amp and speakers,my speaker were £100 Wharfdales can't remember what models they were,second pair I can remember still use them now big Wharfdale delta 9's bought them in 1987 and still going strong.

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky
    Creedence - Greatest Hits
    Hard Days Night - Beatles

7. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Being 29 years old, my list is likely to differ a lot from some of the other posters here. I bought my first CDs in late 1999. They were:

1. There Is Nothing Left To Lose by Foo Fighters

2. Californication by Red Hot Chili Peppers

3. Dookie by Green Day

2 and 3 might have been in reversed chronology. I'm not totally sure.

8. thepigdog

thepigdog Music and beer

Dave Alvin - "Blue Blvd".
    Ry Cooder - "Chicken Skin Music".
    The Best of Taj Mahal.

clhboa likes this.
  9. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

My first player was a Sony cdp 101.
    At that stage I was playing it through an Accuphase 202 amp but I started having problems with the capacitors etc which started to break down & leak so I changed amps.
    This was all played through a pair of Bose 601 speakers that I have now owned for over 40 years. I had the speaker cones replaced a while back. Beautiful soft sounding speakers that do not require a lot of power to drive them.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  10. Floyd Crazy

Nice to here you had the good old Sony 101 mine lasted well then sold it to a mate for £100 and he had it for 1o yrs and then gave it to his son but we lost touch so I only know it was well over 20 yrs old when his boy had it at college vintage cd player by then,as for my speakers still on original cones and still prefect,trick is keep them out of direct sun light and they seem to go on and on, well done you.

11. Chance

Chance Forum Resident

In 1987, before I even had a CD player, I bought the first three Velvet Underground albums because I expected them to go out of print almost immediately and be gone forever.

12. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Like A Virgin was one of the discs I intended to get the day I bought my first titles. Unfortunately it was temporarily out of print and wouldn’t be reissued until much later in the year when they added the recent #1 Into The Groove to the tracklisting.

At that time I wouldn’t have had the first clue how to get an import copy..

wrappedinsky likes this.
  13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

This was my second CD player. Bought second-hand from a lad at work when I got tired of not being able to programme my Ferguson machine.:D

[​IMG]

The Philips 104 was a very popular early model. Unfortunately, this one had terrible tracking problems that I could never quite fix. Solidly built, but that didn’t mean much when the laser skipped about all over the place.:D

Floyd Crazy and Kingsley Fats like this.
  14. Kingsley Fats

The laser in my Sony 101 gave up. It started to cut in & out. It also got choosy on which cd's it would play. I also had a portable player that eventually had the same issue.

I had to get the speaker cones fixed as the rubber type outer ring started to break up. If I removed the top grill whilst playing the speakers I could see what looked like dust being shot into the air.
    I had a pair of shelf Boston Acoustics A40's with the same problem. When I took those in to get fixed I asked the woman who did the repairs if it was worth the money to get the Bose 601's fixed.
    She told me that to buy comparable new speakers would cost thousands of $'s & probably wouldn't be as good anyhow & it was a no brainer to get them restored. This was a number of years back I wonder if current day speakers are better than them.
    I bought them second hand @ 1977 for $600 (which was a bit of money in those days) . My dad told me I was wasting my money. 40+ years later I know he was wrong.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Can't recall 3 but the very first one was around 1989/90 just before i bought a cd player.

Jeff Beck: Blow By Blow!

16. Kingsley Fats

I think I should make note that the price of CD's in Australia was/has been/& still are stupidly expensive.

17. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Chronicle-CCR
    Doors-debut
    Born to Run-Springsteen

Grant likes this.
  18. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Are You Experienced - Jimi Hendrix
    Coda - Led Zeppelin
    Toys In The Attic - Aerosmith

Grant likes this.
  19. Floyd Crazy

Great here that,my mum still uses my dad's old Sony ulm speakers from 1972 still sound warm a bass to die for the made things to last back and still on original cones model number 7200,he paid £210 for them then with his staff discount from his company,i remember that day 7 yrs old being sat in front off his new Sony hi fi system and the first vinyl I heard on it The Cat jimmy Smith still have that record and it still sounds good today!

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  20. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Scorpions "Fly To The Rainbow"
    Living Colour "Vivid"
    Chicago "Group Portrait". Box set, I know, but I bought it at the same time as the other two.

21. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I want to say Spike by Elvis Costello, Moondance by Van Morrison, and Blue Sky Mining by Midnight Oil. Late 1989 early 1990.

I had just been stationed in Okinawa and had portable boom box. A Marine in my barracks traded me a fatboy White Album...just can't remember what I gave him for it! They were unberexpensive in Oki about $30 USD for a cd a luxury back then.

22. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Bought my first cd's in early 1984 those first five cd's IIRC would be the Moody Blues cd's Days Of Future Passed through Every Good Boy Deserves Favour.

23. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

My first CD was Carpenters SINGLES 1969-1973. It's pictured here with the CD player bought that day. It's built like a tank and still works. It has the fastest seek-time of any digital disc player I've used. Unfortunately the drawer sticks and when it encounters resistance, it closes. You have to catch it with your fingers and "help it" out.

[​IMG]

The second disc purchased that same day was the soundtrack to SOMEWHERE IN TIME.
    The third disc was probably Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass CHRISTMAS ALBUM. It might have been the soundtrack for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. I'm not sure about the exacts sequence, but one was third and one was fourth.

aravel, wrappedinsky and Floyd Crazy like this.
  24. Tony Glass

Tony Glass Forum Resident

I've made better decisions since, but I got 3 cd's with my first cd player and they were:

The Simpson's Sing the Blues
    Vanilla Ice - To The Extreme
    Soundtrack to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze

I've got a lot of much better stuff now, but I do still have those three discs, never got rid of anything I bought, but they are in a box in the closet and not on the shelf with the stuff I still listen to. :)

wrappedinsky likes this.
  25. Floyd Crazy

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.