The first three cd's you ever bought

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floyd Crazy, Jul 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Same answer...........but also bought Beatles For Sale.

2. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

3. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

My first three, bought in January of 1986 from Musicland along with a Magnavox/Phillps CD player bought at a Magnavox discount store:

Wings - Venus and Mars (Columbia)
    Paul McCartney and Wings - Band on the Run (Columbia)
    Wings - Wings Over America (Columbia)

Grant and Floyd Crazy like this.
  4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

5. sbeck201

sbeck201 Forum Resident

Mid 1986 on a Saturday afternoon in a Virgin shop in Carlisle. I think these were my first three, certainly among the early purchases. Didn't actually have my CD player until the following week.

Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    Sting - Dream Of The Blue Turtles
    Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time

Also bought Van Halen - 5150 LP at the same time (my last ever vinyl purchase).

LRP99, mtvgeneration and Grant like this.
  6. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

There was an electronics store in the mall where I worked back in 1985 that had brought in a small selection of CDs to sell alongside their offering of CD players. After a while, they decided that the 2 record stores in the mall were probably better at selling CDs, so they marked down their discs to a clearance price (I think about $10 each or so). I was still a teenage and fascinated by this new technology. I assumed I would eventually get a CD player, so I bought two of their discs, and then went back and got a third, because I thought it was such a great deal at the time:

1. The Fixx - Phantoms
    2. Big Country - Steeltown
    3. Tears For Fears - The Hurting

I would take the discs to the department store in the mall (May Company) and test them out on the CD players they had on display. Then I would take the discs home and stare at them lovingly, trying to give my parents a hint of what I wanted for Xmas that year. It worked - a CD player ended up under the tree. The player was from Sears although I think Sony manufactured it.

wrappedinsky and Floyd Crazy like this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They never added "Into The Groove" here in the U.S.. Crazy because the song was so popular. However, I had a copy of it on a CD3.

8. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

Talk Talk - The Colour Of Spring
    The Cars - Candy O

Can't remember after that.

9. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

They added ITG to the LP and cassette too.

In fact I never saw the original CD (a yellow WG Target) until I bought one off eBay a few years ago..

10. Bobby Morrow

I nearly bought No Parlez myself, but noticed that they’d extended the mixes of a few songs...

In fact I don’t the the original LP version of No Parlez has ever been issued on CD..

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  11. Pier

Pier Well-Known Member

What I remember:
    • 1st CD: LEVEL 42 - Running in the Family - on March 26, 1987
    • 2nd CD: BOSTON - Third Stage - on May, 1987
    • 3rd CD: KANSAS - Power - again on May, 1987

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The original CD over here was silk-screened in baby blue and was pressed in Japan. I have it.

13. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Jimmy Smith - a nice way to start a musical life. Especially on nice warm speakers.
    Nothing sounds better than a Hammond B3

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  14. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Oh, I think I did too. Those 4 were the first 4 released and all released the same day, right? If so, I did that too.

I was home during spring break in my first year of college.

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Good point. I didn't mind most of mixes, but would readily agree they're not for everyone. I prefer the 7" single edit of 'Common People' to the one they used on the album.

16. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Feeling some deja-vu with this topic, but I'll play:

Bob Dylan – The Bootleg Series Volumes 1–3

Kenn Kweder – Flesh, Blood & Blue

A Little on the CD SideMusician magazine sampler featuring the Hindu Love Gods version of "Raspberry Beret," plus Edie Brickell, Eno & Cale, Maceo Parker, Turtle Island String Quartet, The Posies, The Rembrandts, Strunz & Farah, and Wendy & Lisa. I think I eventually got 10 or 15 volumes in this series.

17. Frobozky

Frobozky Forum Resident

I bought Donald Fagen's The Nightfly before I owned my first CD player. I had no way to play it, but reviews made it sound like the CD that would show you why CD's were better than albums. It was fully digital. It took a while longer to save up for my CD player, a Technics, that only worked for about 6 months. About 36 years and 5 CD players later, I still like it (The Nightfly) very much. I am sorry I can't tell you, my other two earliest purchases. They have faded from my memory.

18. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes great Kingsley Fats,next was Wes Montgomery then my first 7inch single I'm Free by Roger Daltrey and LSO then my sister wanted to play Crazy Horses,she was going through a Osmond faze at that time drove me mad,but dad took charge and put on some Frank Sinatra live at the Sands Double vinyl on,i have a very good memory of my childhood.

19. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

My first three were a HUGE disappointment:
    1. Lou Reed Transformer - What a sonic mess
    2. Dire Straights S/T - The CD version cut off the guitar solo that ends Sultans!!!
    3. Billy Joel 52nd Street - What a let down musically. I mean after The Stranger...pop crap!
    Such an early negative influence. Maybe that's why I still prefer vinyl?

20. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Prince - Around the World in a Daze (gift for younger sister who lived with parents still and they got a CD player before I got one at college)
    Bob Marley - Legend
    Peter Gabriel - Security - liked that it was DDD and lots of it sounds generated with a Fairlight so pure D.

Lucky you asked for only 3 as I could not tell you #4

21. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

The CD player is a Sony CDP-302 from 1985.

[​IMG]

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  22. Floyd Crazy

Floyd Crazy Senior Member Thread Starter

23. JerryC

JerryC Forum Resident

First 3 I bought were on the same day, I believe in the fall of 1984:
    Journey - Escape
    Scorpions - Love at First Sting
    Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith.
    (and Van Halen - 1984, I think)
    I didn't own a cd player at the time, but I immediately sold a Peavey 4 channel mixer I wasn't using, and purchased a $220 cd deck.

24. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Does it still work?

25. Bobby Morrow

I sold it in 1987.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.