The Four....Lads....Aces...Preps...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Khorn, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

....and similar groups like the Crew Cuts. Once so pouplar a style, now almost just a memory. Pity!

2. Stax Fan

Stax Fan Forum Resident

I like that group vocal style, too. Still, most things fade eventually. Vaudeville used to be all the rage. Now, I doubt anything could be more dead.

Same with most other aspects of society. As society moves on (note I didn't say evolves), things get left behind. That's just how it goes. At least the bigger groups you mentioned are still available on CD.

Of course, one can still find 78s, early 10" and 12" LPs, as well as early 45s and EPs. Actually, to be honest, I've considered getting a 78RPM upgrade on my VPI and another arm assembly for mounting a quality 78 cartridge. With the right equipment, unworn 78s can sound quite good.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Not a memory here! I love all those harmony groups! Let's also not forget The fabulous 40's...The Modernaires, Pied Pipers, Merry Macs, Starlighters, The Four Freshmen and the rest! What wonderful vocal talent!

4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Re: Re: The Four....Lads....Aces...Preps...

If we're stepping back a bit we can't possibly overlook The Mills Brothers!

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Oh yea...another one of my favorites!
    I've been searching for years for one of my favorite Mills Brothers songs...CHINESE HONEYMOON...ever hear of it on Cee Dee?

and lets not forget the Ink Spots!

6. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Don't forget the Hilltoppers either. Unfortunately, Varese Sarabande's disc is now out of print.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Ames Brothers had great harmonies.

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

You know,m I love that Harmony sound.

The Lettermen were INCREDIBLY popular all thru the 60s and early 70s. They had a whopping 32 Lps on the charts, and yet today, only their first two Lps is on Cd, and you almost never hear their name anymore.

I have about 27 Lps of the group and they are all good. The original lineup of Jim Pike, Tony Butala, and Bob Engleman had MAGIC when they sang. The later lineups were good, but not as great as the first.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

10. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

11. jligon

jligon Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.