The *Frank Sinatra* recordings thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sean Keane, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam Thread Starter

Get the four 2003 single CD remasters.

2. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Thanks. Do you know the titles? I am having a hard time searching by a specific release year.

3. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I would get the 4CD box set instead. I'm guessing that Sean is referring to the CD's that are reproductions of the 78 albums plus a number of bonus tracks. I would get those next, but there would still be quite a lot of duplication.

4. bluesbro

What is the box would you recommend?

5. Sean Keane

CD Universe has only the picture of The Essential Frank Sinatra and not the others (Sings Gershwin, Cole Porter and I forget the other title). I got them when they came out, then Rick Apt sent me sealed doubles at only $2.00 each, so I guess they didn't sell so well.

6. Sean Keane

I guess he means A Voice In Time.

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

For best sound, and a decent overview of the both the big band (Harry James and Tommy Dorsey) and the solo Columbia years, you can't do better than last year's 4-disc box set, A Voice In Time 1939-1952.

The earlier (1995) 4-CD box set, The Best Of The Columbia Years 1943-1952, is also quite nice to have.

The four 2003 single-disc collections that Sean mentioned can all be found in the list of Various Compact Disc Compilations (SONY) at the link in my signature. (The fourth title was The Voice Of Frank Sinatra.)

8. Sean Keane

Bob, what are the FS CDs that had Costco counterparts with bonus tracks? Thanks.

9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The only one I have is: Young Blue Eyes: Birth Of The Crooner. Costco had an exclusive version with 22 tracks (two extras).

I've seen it mentioned that Costco may have had a special version of The Rat Pack: Boys Night Out, but I never saw it.

10. Sean Keane

Thanks, Bob. Wasn't that Rat Pack disc the one that had A Marshmallow World TV duet with Dean?

11. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Nope. That was Christmas With The Rat Pack. It should still be on store shelves this season. (They keep changing the cover; I haven't bothered to see what it looks like this year.)

12. Sean Keane

Thanks, Bob. I have so much FS and forget which tracks are from which disc.

13. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Best Buy had the special version of "The Rat Pack: Boys Night Out".

14. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

for those interested in hearing all the columbia 78s and cant afford the box set or want more than the 4 cd sets you can download the 12 cd box set from amazon.com for only $40. files are 256k lame and sound pretty good even compared to the two 4 cd sets being discussed that I already owned. I just wanted the tracks I didnt have. so...

If you want to hear em all, or have em all on your ipod, for $40 you cant go wrong IMO

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Year...s_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1230827528&sr=8-1

15. bluesbro

I ordered the Voice in Time box. Found one for $20 shipped.

16. bluesbro

Question guys: where can I find "Maybe This Time" on CD? The version on the Vegas DVD is incredible, I just dont get tired of it.

Is there a version on audio that compares to that one?

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Sinatra never did a studio recording. Two live versions on official CDs:

18. Michael Crespo

Michael Crespo Forum Resident

Is the Complete Capitol Singles Collection 1953-1961 CD box set any good sonically?

19. bdvogel

bdvogel Forum Resident

I think it is excellent, Michael - it's pure Sinatra seduction. :wave: (Also, fantastic layout & booklet/annotations). You certainly won't regret picking up a copy! :righton:

Bernhard.

20. bluesbro

The sound is courtesy of Norberg so Its futzed with. I did not buy it for a long time because of the negative comments.

It is not THAT bad, IMHO. I do enjoy it.

21. I don't think (singles box) sounds that bad either, though I don't own many of the original 45's to be able to compare directly.

22. bluesbro

My box set arrived. Damn, this is good stuff. I got a longbox which is nice because Im running out of space at home. Big book with lots of picture and very nice sound. This is highly recommended. Its not my favorite period of Sinatra, but as an overview of this period it is very satisfying.

A classy release.

23. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Were Frank's pre-1962 mono Capitol recordings the only artist's to be dubbed and echo added, or did Nat's get the same treatment?

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Since I haven't read all 10 pages of this thread, I may have been beat to the punch, but, all the same, I thought that I'd share that many of Frank's "REPRISE" years back catalog, (currently out of print on CD), but now available to download on the web, for those that like the whole "downloading" idea, (I personally, do NOT!)

Chris C

25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

:confused: Other than a few recent collections, I can't find where the Reprise catalog is available for legal download. It's not on iTunes or Amazon. Capitol, Columbia, and RCA: yes; Reprise: not yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.