KLCS-TV to Air Frank Sinatra Shows

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bob F, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

(This came up in one of the music threads, but I thought it deserved one of it's own.)

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013KLCS/05FrankSinatra/prweb10707751.htm?PID=6146857
    http://www.klcs.org/special/2013/sinatra_043013.asp

SoCalWJS likes this.
  2. Bob F

This material has long been available (in less than stellar quality) from "unofficial" sources, but this is the first authorized release of complete programs restored by the Sinatra family. Individual DVDs of six shows are being offered (to PBS donors) with these guest stars:
    1. Elvis Presley, Sammy Davis Jr., Nancy Sinatra, Peter Lawford, Joey Bishop
    2. Ella Fitzgerald, Peter Lawford
    3. Lena Horne, Eleamor Roosevelt
    4. Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Mitzi Gaynor
    5. Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong
    6. Dagmar, June Hutton
    More info for donors: KLCS Sinatra Fundraising Levels

apileocole likes this.
  3. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Well, KLCS has gotten a nice $500 donation from me.... Too bad it couldn't have gone to my local PBS station (although they pretty much suck since they don't have any unique programming on their digital sub-channels).

4. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. Will set my DVR accordingly.

5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have only one question. Does he duet with Dagmar on Mama Will Bark?
    By the way I think Dagmar was hotter than a two dollar pistol!

billdcat likes this.
  6. Bob F

No, if it's one of the programs I think it is, from April 7 or May 5, 1951. Those predated the Columbia recording of "Mama Will Bark" on May 10. I think that Mitch Miller got the idea for the song from the TV shows. There were no singing duets, just comedy sketches, with Frank and Dagmar. One of the programs may be viewed online here; not sure if it's the one offered by KLCS:

(Dagmar does perform a solo of "Ballin' the Jack." Intro patter with Sinatra starts at 33:33.)

The number two certainly comes to my mind...

Dagmar-LIFE-cover.jpg

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's great! I really would have loved to see some Dino!

8. Bob F

Tomorrow (Mother's Day) is the best day to DVR these. All six hourly episodes will be airing beginning at 9 A.M., followed by the hour-and-a-half "Sinatra Sings" special hosted by Tina Sinatra at 3 P.M.

9. Thanks. DVR set.

10. Lethrus

Lethrus Forum Resident

Excellent. Thanks again. :righton:

11. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

FWIW I just noticed it's on here in SoCal on 58 KLCS

12. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

I posted elsewhere but shall also do it here...the quality of these old shows is very poor. Thye did nothing to restore them. In fact, I think some of the copies I have (especially the Palm Springs one) are of better quality! Even on the "Sinatra Sings" special which appears to be mostly cuts from the "Man & His Music" specials are of lesser visual quality than the recents DVD re-releases.

13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

For Steve, Matt, Martin, Bob et al...

Just watched the CBS taping of "Very Good Year" at United Studios as part of the "Sinatra Sings" special and have a question. Mr. S is recording "out in the open" right next to Gordon Jenkins on the conductor's stand. He is not in his "shell" at the back of the studio as he normally is seen in photos of sessions there. Was this done just for show because of the filming? Obviously it did not compromise the sound isolation of his mike as the recording is a beauty.

Any ideas guys????

14. Bob F

That's a disappointment. I was expecting/hoping for better quality in an "official" release, such as what was shown on some of the bonus disc clips in the recent Frank Sinatra: Concert Collection DVD box set.

It's been reported that the master videotapes for the Timex specials (e.g. "Welcome Home Elvis") were destroyed by ABC-TV in the mid-1970s to free up storage space, and what survives are inferior broadcast copies. Nevertheless, I've seen some decent restorations of small portions of these. It's a shame if these PBS versions have not received the best treatment that today's technology can provide.

15. Bob F

Dunno, Paul. I haven't seem the new "Sinatra Sings" special, but I went back to my VHS tape of SINATRA: OFF THE RECORD with the same studio footage, and he's definitely singing "out in the open" as you say. Perhaps they did a take just for the CBS cameras? (This was originally a Walter Cronkite TV special in 1965; rebroadcast in edited form in 1998, a week after Sinatra's passing, with an intro by Dan Rather.) Here's a photo which shows the CBS cameraman filming producer Sonny Burke, conductor Gordon Jenkins, and FS in United Studio A:

SOMY-Session.jpg

BTW, that VHS program from CBS News is one which screams out for a DVD release. Recommended, if you have a working VCR and can find a copy.

16. Bob F

Paul, could you confirm some of the musical numbers from the show with Dagmar, so that I can pin down the date? That would have to be a kinescope from the first Frank Sinatra Show series of 1950-52 (not from the 1957-60 time period). I would expect poorest quality on that one.

17. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Sure will Bob. When I get home this evening.

18. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Do we know for sure that he used the shell on the Jenkins stuff? Since it's more-or-less all strings and no Basie et al, maybe they could live without it? Sounds like the "proper" take to me, FWIW.

19. Bob F

There are tons of photos from that session, and none of them show the shell. I think it's safe to say Frank's vocal was not isolated that way. I especially like these "hat-on-the-mic-stand" shots:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

As for my comment about the take, I must be getting old. ("How Old Am I"? :) ) The video is the same as the final (released) take 7. I remember doing an A/B comparison once to confirm that. It's been discussed at length before:

MLutthans likes this.
  20. wave

wave Forum Resident

Is it possible the shell was removed to accommodate Sinatra's live audience ("cheering section") sitting directly behind him?

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

5-5-51

Songs:
    When You're Smiling
    My Romance
    Hello Young Lovers
    If
    Medley: What Do You Think I Am/Oh Look at Me Now

Still not as poor a copy as the Palm Springs one.

22. Bob F

Thanks, Paul. So it's the same program I linked above in post #6:
    That's a very fuzzy kinescope. I wonder if the one you DVR'd is any better quality or more complete? The website states that 15 minutes are missing.

BTW, as I mentioned above, that was broadcast just five days before "Mama Will Bark" was recorded. Mitch Miller was probably "inspired" by that very show. Woof!

23. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

It's amazing how utterly ephemeral TV was in 1950, and we're very lucky to have that show preserved at all. I wonder if RTV could be arm-twisted into running these shows? They are currently running kinescopes of Martin & Lewis hosting "The Colgate Comedy Hour," after all.

24. Bob F

Paul, another question, about this particular program: Is it The Bing Crosby Edsel Show from 1957 (with Rosemary Clooney and Bob Hope), or The Bing Crosby Oldsmobile Show from 1959 (with Peggy Lee)?

I'm mystified about the provenance of these programs. Many years ago, Nancy Sinatra posted at the SFF:
    And in response to questions such as, "Do you think they will be released on DVD for the fans?" :
    So when these programs were announced on the same bill with a Tina Sinatra-hosted program for PBS, I made the assumption that these were newly-restored copies from the Sinatra family vault. Guess not, based on what's been reported here. :(

25. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

It's indeed the Edsel Show, Bob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.