The Glove's "Blue Sunshine" deluxe edition coming soon

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesc, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not sure if there's any fans of The Glove here but they were a side project consisiting of Robert Smith of the Cure, Steve Severin of Siouxsie & the Banshees, and an unknown vocalist named Landray (who was not unlike Siouxsie in her vocal style). They had a really nice dark psychedelic pop sound that was pretty unique for it's time. Although a well thought out CD with bonus tracks came out in 1990, a really impressive deluxe edition is due in August with the following tracks:

CD 1

Like An Animal
    Looking Glass Girl
    Sex Eye Make Up
    Mr. Alphabet Says
    A Blues In Drag
    Punish Me With Kisses
    This Green City
    Orgy
    Perfect Murder
    Relax
    The Man From Nowhere (Original Instrumental Mix)
    Mouth To Mouth (Landray Vocal Mix)
    Punish Me With Kisses (Hedges 7" Mix)
    The Tightrope (Original Instrumental Mix)
    Like An Animal (12" Club?, What Club? Mix)

CD 2

Like An Animal (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Looking Glass Girl (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Sex Eye Make Up (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Mr. Alphabet Says (Alternative Robert Smith Vocal)
    A Blues In Drag (Alternative Robert Smith Vocal)
    Punish Me With Kisses (Robert Smith Vocal)
    This Green City (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Orgy (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Perfect Murder (Alternative Robert Smith Vocal)
    Relax (Alternative Robert Smith Vocal)
    The Man From Nowhere (Alternative Instrumental Mix)
    Mouth To Mouth (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Opened The Box (A Waltz) (Robert Smith Vocal)
    The Tightrope (Robert Smith Vocal)
    And All Around The Mermaids Sang (AKA Torment) (Robert Smith Vocal)
    Holiday 80 (AKA Mine Eye Offends Me (Instrumental)

What's interesting is the Robert Smith vocal versions of the songs which I never knew existed. Here's a bit on that from Billboard:

Severin also has been shepherding a reissue of 1983's "Blue Sunshine," his lone album with the Cure's Robert Smith as the Glove. The set is tentatively due in July to coincide with a new round of Cure reissues. The album's bonus material will comprise "rough mixes" of songs with Smith singing "all the guide vocals," according to Severin.

"(Fiction label head) Chris Parry strictly forbade Robert from singing on the final album, but we managed to sneak him onto two tracks under the proviso that neither was to be released as singles," Severin said.

Severin also said Smith was quite eager to work on the reissue. "In fact, in many ways he's driven it!" he added. "I think it's been a bit of a mission on his part. He desperately wanted to sing on the album at the time, so getting the chance to release this 'alternative version' has become his personal quest, I think."

And while Severin nixed any thoughts of a one-off concert to celebrate "Blue Sunshine," both he and Smith are in preliminary discussions about recording a new album together. "I'm thinking more prequel than sequel," Severin said. "You know, what led to the Glove being so disturbed."

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Cool! :righton: Looking forward to hearing those Robert Smith vocal versions.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Rock! Is Rhino putting this out?????

4. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

5. williwoods

williwoods Forum Resident

6. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

So which sounds better, the 1990 CD or the 2 CD remaster?

7. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

I like the 2 cd remaster just for the bonus disc. I am pretty sure it is less dynamic, but the bonus materials are essential

8. heepsterandrey

Well I have the 1990 CD but it's not that dynamic to begin with.

9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

If you like the music and want to hear Robert Smith sing the Glove songs, then I highly suggest you get it.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  10. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

I love The Glove Blue Sunshine. Really obscure. Odd.

11. heepsterandrey

I bought this album on CD on Friday. I absolutely love it. I went to my local record store today and the owner gave me the record store day blue vinyl for free. I love the sound of it, sounds much better than the 1990 CD. by the way I thought this record was solid blue but mine has a bit of white mixed into it, do any of yours look the same?

12. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I have the original UK vinyl of this and while I haven't listened to it in decades, I clearly remember it being a very good sounding LP. I will have to give it a spin this weekend...

13. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

Sorry to ask, but what does sound better than the 1990 cd? The blue vinyl or both that vinyl and the new cd?

14. heepsterandrey

The blue vinyl sounds much better than the 1990 CD, I haven't heard the deluxe edition cd. I ordered it though, I should have it in a few days. I should add that the 1990 CD does not sound bad at all, but the blue vinyl sounds much better.

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The RSD Blue vinyl used different shades of blue on the US and EU versions, dont forget the original US Rough Trade issue was also blue

DSCN8695.JPG DSCN8696.JPG

16. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

I'm very curious how the sonical qualities are of the new cd and the second disk - with Robert Smith as singer of most of those tracks. I know, the last ones are demo tracks, but sometimes they're close to the quality of the definitive tracks...

I'm very interested in purchasing the deluxe edition, so I hope you can give us a review of both disks! :)

17. heepsterandrey

Oh I didn't know the original US was Blue as well. Yeah I have the US Rhino Record Store Day version, looks just like the one on the left. Thank you :)

18. heepsterandrey

Yeah I'll do that.

19. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

There are rumours that the Robert Smith tracks were in fact NEW vocals over instrumental tracks and were not in fact the original demos http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-glove-1st-issue-or-remaster.312894/

20. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

21. Echo

Echo Forum Resident

New as from 2013? Oh, please, let that not be the case... I hate that kind of historical falsifications - something other artists as e.g. The Rolling Stones and U2 have done before with some of the tracks at their reissues,... Yuk!

22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

No 2006, when the Deluxe Edition came out. The RSD lp's are straight reissues of the original album, they do not contain any extra tracks from the 2CD edition.

23. heepsterandrey

The 2006 CD sounds much clearer and it's got nicer sounding bass than the 1990, but man it is really really bright. It sounds a bit harsh, but in many ways I like it better than the original CD. It seems to have just a little bit of compression in one or two songs, but it's pretty much as dynamic as the 1990 CD. I haven't heard the Robert Smith demos yet though. I still like the Record Store Day Rhino vinyl the best out of those 3.

24. JohnBR

JohnBR Forum Resident

The Discogs listing for the US 2006 single-disc version states that it includes the five bonus tracks also found on disc 1 of the two-disc version. The Amazon listing also states that it includes all 15 tracks. However, every seller that I've contacted tells me that the disc only lists 10 tracks on the back. So, are the five bonus tracks simply not listed on the cover? Or are these listings incorrect? Can anyone please clarify this for me? Thanks!

25. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member Thread Starter

I only have the Deluxe Edition and original Rough Trade CDs so I don't have a direct answer but I did notice the single disc UK remaster shows only ten tracks in Discogs and there's an image of the back tray liner confirming that. I would think the US release would mirror that since the Deluxe Edition did but that is just speculation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.