The Go Betweens Before Hollywood

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ryanward84, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanward84

ryanward84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have loved this record since I first heard it. I got into the band when they reunited in the early 2000's. Before Hollywood has never been released on vinyl in the U.S. besides in the recent box set, but that is a bit out of my spending budget. So, I just purchased a copy of a German pressing from ebay and I can't wait for it to arrive. I have a handful of German LP's and they sound good, so I'm hoping for the same with this one.

I'll report on SQ and details when it arrives and I get a chance to spin it!

Andrew J, Marzz, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  2. ryanward84

ryanward84 Forum Resident Thread Starter

My LP arrived today. First off, as with the few other times the ebay seller was generous in their grading; this being M- when in reality it had some light scratches and an edge warp, that luckily didn't effect play much. So it's really a VG+

Good news is that it sounds really good! Deadwax shows it was mastered at Townhouse in England (though this is a German Rough Trade press). Bass is solid and the instruments are fairly separated. A little bit bright but the vocals sound nice and clear. It doesn't sound as good as some LP's in my collection but it is basically an indie record from the 80's.

Overall, I'm glad to be able to hear one of my favorite albums of the 80's turned up a bit loud on my system at home!

Who else owns this record or loves the Go-Between's? How does the copy from the recent box set sound?

Next, to find is a nice copy of Liberty Belle Black Diamond Express.

[Played on a Denon DP 1200 w/ a Ortofon OM10 cart.]

3. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

I bought the box, but I haven't cracked it yet... work is super busy, and I have 2 kids under 3. Maybe this weekend!

Al Smith likes this.
  4. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

Love these guys & gal/s. I come from Brisbane so had the good fortune to take in their sound but also the influence and asthetic they contributed to once they'd headed for London etc.

I too have the box but haven't cracked it yet! I was lucky enough to procure the vintage catalogue back in the day (not the Able Label '45s tho', I was too little).

I'm actually hoping for a decent sounding reissue of Here Comes A City, believe it or not - a great collection marred by the worst brickin' I've personally encountered.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Some early German Rough Trade albums simply contain UK vinyl/ mastering with a German sticker.

ryanward84 likes this.
  6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I've not picked up this, which is strange because it's been on my "want to get" list for longer than I can recall. Have got other albums by the band, and heard this one plenty of times when it came out. "Cattle and Cane" has got to be one of the best songs to come out of alt. Australia.

[​IMG]

keyse1 likes this.
  7. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I absolutely love The Go-Betweens and discovered them with Before Hollywood. I got to see the band in many incarnations through the years and miss them terribly.

8. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

What is with you guys?!? :laugh:

The albums may be familiar, but the book and photos are great and there's a LOT of unreleased stuff in there. The DL's for the vinyl-only albums are essential. The mastering is improved all around... the box set version of Send Me A Lullaby is the first that I've ever enjoyed listening to.

9. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

This photograph by Laura Levine was published in the box set book. It was taken in the luxurious dressing room suite in the basement of Maxwell's before their performance there on New Years Eve 1984 (Dec. 12, 1983).
    [​IMG]
    What a great pic of the band.

I captured a pretty decent-sounding cassette recording of the show. I can't believe we're coming-up on the 33rd anniversary of that night... my memories remain visceral.

Lightworker, keyse1, defmoot and 10 others like this.
  10. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

coincidence...I had ordered a copy of 'The Indie Scene 1983' and it came Monday, mainly for the Prefab Sprout track and a few others, but it includes Cattle and Cane, which on this CD sounds really really good.

Anyway, I love the Go-Betweens. Before Hollywood isn't my favourite album but is very good. The Rough Trade albums were unavailable in the UK for a long time and if I remember correctly some were reissued by Rough Trade Germany in the early 90's, which is probably where your copy comes from.

11. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

Big fan here. I've got on CD:
    Send Me a Lullaby
    Spring Hill Fair
    Tallulah
    16 Lovers Lane
    The Friends of Rachel Worth
    Oceans Apart

So, there's a few I still can get. I never look at what release I'm buying, or research which release has the best sound. I'm just happy when I find them in my local stores, and they all sound fine to me. I think they recorded some great music when McLennan and Forster reunited in 2000, on par with the early stuff.

RIP, Grant.

defmoot, Laibach, Marzz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Re-igniting the thread - or trying to.
    Just on Before Hollywood, I have an original Rough Trade pressing and it's still near mint, not from want of underplaying, but I was able to clean it last year and it sounds great. There was a later re-press, not Rough Trade, which I also own, not as good.
    I've always loved The Go-Betweens and Before Hollywood is probably my favourite record. I used to love Spring Hill Fair too but I don't own a copy anymore. I find this irritating!
    Anyway - has anyone read Robert Forster's memoir? I only found out about it yesterday and just curious if any fellow Go-Betweeners have seen it.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have an original UK pressing which I know sounds excellent (considering it's a mid 80s indie album). I must confess, I've had it about 10 years and haven't played it anywhere near enough. I must rectify that. I bought it because I absolutely love Cattle & Cane. I also have the Postcard 45 'I Need Two Heads' because I collect Postcard and post punk / early indie 45s.

14. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

I've got the vinyl version that is part of the Vol. 1 box set.
    I really like the sound quality of this one, but have no other vinyl version to compare.
    Great album from a great band.

15. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

One of the great albums of the 80s, and it also does the neat trick of sidestepping the sonic cliches of the period.

defmoot and melstapler like this.
  16. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Has anyone heard any news about a Volume 2 box set?

DrJ and granata like this.
  17. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I adore Before Hollywood! It's my second favorite album by one of my very favorite bands.

I have an original UK Rough Trade LP and it sounds fantastic. I love both the front and back of the cover art too.

I also have the Rough Trade CD, which sounds better than the remastered version from 2002.

keyse1 likes this.
  18. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

one of my favourite bands. I had the pleasure of meeting Grant and Robert in 1999 when they played Ted's Wrecking Yard in Toronto. I hung around after the show and got to spend about 20-30 minutes with them chatting while they happily signed the CD sleeves I'd brought with me just in case I had the chance. That acoustic tour led to their reunion and absolutely stunning late career run. Grant's death gutted me. What a loss that was. Oh, the box set is well worth the money. I hope volume two and three make it to market at some point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gavinyl, keyse1, defmoot and 11 others like this.
  19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

From 2005, I highly recommend the self-released "Live In London" 2CD set, even if you already own "That Striped Sunlight Sound." It was professionally recorded at the Barbican in 2004 and was available at the merch table at their shows. An impressive setlist containing most of the hits and fan favorites from each period of the band's career.
    [​IMG]
    1-1 The Sound Of Rain 1-2 It Could Be Anyone 1-3 Your Turn, My Turn 1-4 Hammer The Hammer 1-5 People Say 1-6 This Girl, Black Girl 1-7 Make Her Day 1-8 Karen 1-9 Magic In Here 1-10 Poison In The Walls 1-11 Surfing Magazines 1-12 Baby Stones 1-13 Cattle And Cane 1-14 The Clock 2-1 Too Much Of One Thing 2-2 He Lives My Life 2-3 The Wrong Road 2-4 Right Here 2-5 Spring Rain 2-6 Here Comes A City 2-7 Love Goes On! 2-8 The House That Jack Kerouac Built 2-9 Spirit 2-10 German Farmhouse 2-11 Bye Bye Pride 2-12 When People Are Dead 2-13 Streets Of Your Town 2-14 In The Core Of The Flame

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  20. Thanks for those posts, but no-one's read the memoir? I was reading about it online this weekend, as well as listening to an interview with Robert Forster about it which was revealing. I will have to track the memoir down.
    I never got, I've never even seen, the G Stands For Go-Betweens box, but alongside most of the early records I do have the 1978-1990 compilation, which is pretty rare. Lots of good stuff on there :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    melstapler likes this.
  21. Pavol Stromcek

You're talking about Grant and I? It's on my list, but I've been procrastinating because it hasn't been available in the US and so far my only option has been eBay, where you can "buy it now" for $26 from an Australian seller. I've heard lots of positive things about it, though. Robert is an outstanding writer, so I'm certain it will be a gripping read.

Williamson likes this.
  22. Mr. Odd

Mr. Odd Forum Resident

I've got all the 2CD editions from the early 00s though I've heard these are mastered hot. The bonus material makes them worth it for me.

I must correct an earlier poster: "Cattle & Cane" is one of the greatest songs ever released anywhere. An incredible melody and even more striking lyrics.

"Red Eppalets" is my favorite unreleased track from the box.

The 2CD version of "1978-1990" is possibly the greatest Greatest Hits compilation. The Jams "Snap" is the only competition for the title.

Any thread with fellow post-punk fans Jim B and manicpopthrill will draw me in.

Echo, manicpopthrill and Jim B. like this.
  23. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I was unaware of this book until I saw it mentioned here yesterday. Book Depository appeared to be the cheapest option I could find online with "free delivery worldwide"
    Grant and I : Robert Forster : 9780670078226 »

24. Pavol Stromcek

Thanks for the link, that is cheaper. I've never ordered from Book Depository before.

25. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Buy with confidence. I bought mine from Book Depository just after its release. The book arrived in my mailbox in the USA about a week after I placed my order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.