The Gold Diggers Of Broadway

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

I am fascinated with lost films, especially sound ones, and I am fascinated with the 1929 lost early Technicolor sound musical " The Gold Diggers Of Broadway ".
    Beyond Wikipedia and IMDB's basics, is there much on-line about it?
    Some questions:
    I gave read that one particular DVD of a comparable Warners' musical had the surviving footage from TGDOB on it as an extra,,,but, some footage on it was mis-labeled as another film, or, vice versa, another DVD had TGDOB labeled as something else:eek:! Then. later, some more footage was found, as is a bonus on another DVD.
    The complete soundtrack still exists! How can it be heard?:rolleyes:

2. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Yes, if I remember correctly, THE JAZZ SINGER DVD set identified the finale from TGDOB as "Tip Toe thru the Tulips", and then provided a Ballet scene from THE ROGUE SONG in place of the Finale, not including "Tip Toe" at all. Then Warner released THE BUSBY BERKELEY COLLECTION II, which finally had "Tip Toe" as well as the finale, on the GOLD DIGGERS OF 1937 disc.

Simon A likes this.
  3. WLL

...I saw earlier this day a YT post that was, IIRC, what looked like someone's incredibly wobbly home camera pointed at TV. (from a special??) a few more seconds of film, from a scene involving one of the Gold Diggers trying to get her BF to buy her a car.a Nd lots more aufio-only of that scene.Or was that from another post? Apparently some fan/aficionado group had the whole soundtrack available to you for a $50 donation or suchlike:eek::confused:.

4. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

The complete soundtrack is available on this page, item #65

archive.org/details/VitaphoneSoundtrackCollection

5. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

WLL likes this.
  6. WLL

...Thank you! The link doesn't work now...
    I have WEIRD idea for how one could make use of the soundtrack...I wonder how under copyright it still is? TGDOB was itself a remake, a silent version of the story ~ itself lost ~ was made in the 20s. I think about all these old stageplays, that old movies were based on ~ These relics of an areas when stage playys were a rawther more Mainstream Form Of Entertainment than the theatah has tended to develop into in the last fifty years.

7. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

For the archive dot org link, copy and paste it into a new tab. It won't direct link easily in this forum software. Then go to item #65 on that page, or the discs for each single reel.
    It's not public domain, but since it doesn't fully exist I think WB lets archives and amateurs look for it and share their findings. If someone found a complete print, I think WB would restore it and assert its copyright.

WLL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.