The Golden Age Of Underground Radio, Vol. 2, B. Mitchel Reed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by csblue, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

True this. I have never heard the Byrds sound more powerful than on this cut on this album. Even on the other Byrds stuff Steve has done. It sounds like McGuinn/Clark fronting the Who.

2. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

Wow I forgot about this site! Thanks for the reminder...listening to KDIA RIGHT NOW.

3. csblue

csblue Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great! You will enjoy it. Vol 1 is awesome as well.

Also, both volumes can be found at Amazon.com.

Vol 1: http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Un...&keywords=the+golden+age+of+underground+radio

Vol 2: http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Un...&keywords=the+golden+age+of+underground+radio

4. csblue

Yes, I do that as well. I want to keep the original copies as nice as possible.

5. Javed Jafri

Javed Jafri Forum Resident

FM Underground radio was my favorite format from the time I first became a convert from top 40 sometime in 1970. Here in Toronto CHUM FM from 1970 to 1975 was absolutely the most wonderful commercial radio I have heard. Starting around 1974 the whole format at CHUM FM and everywhere in North America started to go downhill. I have recently been able to digitalize some tapes that I made during the waning days of the format and have uploaded some of these air checks online. Stations include CHUM FM and some from Western NY ( WBUF, WUWU, WZIR etc). Sound quality is not great and most of my uploads so far have been in mono so please forgive that. There was a wonderful show called Oil of Dog on WZIR and WUWU and I have lots of tape on that some uploaded and some to go. Audiophiles will not be impressed but you will get a taste of what was going on in the Toronto/Buffalo area then and wonder why the offerings available now are so dull and barren.

This is just a fan project for me as I want to share and inform and spread the word with the faint hope of actually bringing back the format in some form though I doubt that in this day and age. I also have a weekly contest in emulation of the format.

Take a moment to check out my site when you can:
    http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

zphage likes this.
  6. csblue

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I worked with BMR at KMET, great guy.

8. csblue

I would give almost anything for some more air checks of the Beamer!!

9. Steve Hoffman

There were many hours of him (and TD as well) but (as I'm sure you understand) we had to eliminate anything regarding songs that couldn't be licensed for reuse. That was the hard part, finding air checks with songs that the record companies would license to us!

10. csblue

Yes, I totally understand. That is why airchecks are so hard to find. The licensing prohibits it.

11. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

I find it fascinating listening to BMR on WABC airchecks from the mid-60s (he has some of the fastest patter I've ever heard!) And comparing it with the much more mellow BMR on this disc. I cherish both volumes AND the Wolfman disc. Thanks again, Steve, for always doing your best.

12. Steve Hoffman

I have some of BMR's 1964 stuff. Amazing. Guy talked faster than the speed of light.

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The Wofman disc??? How cool is that?? :cool:

I have Wolfman Jack's "Lets Cruise" volume 2. I presume you're talking about volume 1?

Every time I pull this out, I think "Oh, yea, got to find volume 1" and it's just too expensive! One day....

14. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I grew up on a different place through a different time but the memories you have posted here are simply beatiful.

15. Steve Hoffman

No No. HOWLIN' ON THE AIR

http://www.rayscarculture.com/files/3716306/uploaded/WolfmanBack.jpg

Gary likes this.
  16. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

B. Mitchell Reed and Tom Donahue were in my opinion the true underground DJ's of their time. When I was in San Francisco it was KSAN and Los Angeles KMET. Hearing Reed on his show was like going to church for me and he was the minister. He would comprise play lists that were completely unrelated but for some reason it all came together. I remember him being really pissed off at the whole Altimont Rolling Stones debacle. He made the point that maybe the Rolling Stones Let it Bleed. should be retitled "Let Them Bleed". I can remember that to this day. I am truly sorry he's gone because he could have shed a lot of light on that whole late sixties era through his eyes. I consider BMR and TD as important to American FM radio as John Peel was to the British FM radio.

I was in San Francisco the day KSAN changed from a rock to country format. They signed off with Blue Cheer's Summertime Blues. I never listened to that station ever again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    zphage likes this.
  17. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Steve's not in charge of these decisions. AF and the rights holders are.

18. Evan

Evan Senior Member

19. Steve Hoffman

The last song is one of the greatest records ever made, IMO. Just amazing, had to buy the 45 just so I could hear it un "Wolfmanned"..

g.z. likes this.
  20. Evan

Evan Senior Member

g.z. likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Sounds like it was recorded in my clothes closet but what a great one. Never heard it in my life until I heard it on the Wolfman aircheck.

g.z. likes this.
  22. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: One of my all-times.^^^

23. csblue

Yes, I have some of that too. Awesome stuff. I would love to have some of his KPPC or KMET stuff though, for sure.

24. csblue

Yes, and the truth is that TD and BMR were the fathers of FM underground rock, creating (together) the two very first free form/underground/rock stations in 1967: TD at KMPX in San Francisco, and BMR at KPPC in Pasadena (my home town) in the basement of a church on Colorado Blvd.

25. csblue

Did you ever mix any stuff there? :edthumbs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.