The good/bad of too much gain on MM or MC carts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by raferx, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

It certainly is :)
    In the end I'm not surprised I preferred 40dB gain either, as I prefer the "truthful" reproduction of music. But as I said, a good lesson on initial "sonic seduction" and it really showed me (more of) what I want from my system (and what it is able to reveal from recordings on certain a level – more punch, slam and dynamics than I thought it was capable of – albeit at a cost of other things in this case).
    I think the sound will open up a bit more (as in all things hi fi and electrical it seems), but I'm getting the new cartridge next month, so I'm starting to look forward to that already.

2. blakep

blakep Senior Member

Bear in mind that you still have a truckload of gain for your current cartridge with 40 dB-you could probably get away with around 35 dB and have even better sound quality running further out on the volume pot with your Sonneteer, which as you've pointed out is a bit unusual and is actually designed to be run heavy into the volume pot.

I also have an integrated that also has a very high sensitivity spec number on the input (a design feature that allows for much finer control of volume as well as the pot being run much more into its maximum range where it is more linear and actually sounds better) and typically run in the 75%-80% range with vinyl with an optimum gain setting at the phono stage. That equates to running at around 4 o'clock on the dial with some records to create high SPL's! With my previous integrated (which was actually less powerful) I rarely ventured beyond 50% or 12 o'clock on the volume pot.

At 60 dB of gain you'll have essentially an ideal gain interface between cartridge/phono stage with your new cartridge but you're very likely to be cranking the volume pot much more on the Sonneteer, perhaps into the type of range I've described in my setup. Don't be alarmed by that as it should work very well and provide you with the best sound quality.

Keep us posted when the Dynavector arrives!

jupiterboy and raferx like this.
  3. raferx

raferx Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I could use lower gain I would as the Exact-2 would be ideal at 35dB of gain (33dB to be exact), but the lowest the Ph3D does is 40dB. I'm agreed, the cart has gobs of gain already.

I'll definitely be posting more when the Dyna arrives :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.