The Good Place - new fantasy sitcom

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLD

DLD Senior Member

We look forward to it ever week. Can't think of a less than good episode.

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Great plot pivot in this week's double episode season finale. My faith that the showrunners know what they are doing actually paid off. :)

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, an excellent twist (with lots of future potential) to a satisfying and original new series. This has to be picked up for season 2. I've enjoyed this almost as much as Speechless.

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  4. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

Agreed. A very surprising and interesting twist.

5. Deesky

The Good Place has been resurrected for another season. Forking great news! :)

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Cool!. Not sure why but I enjoy it. Kristen Bell doesn't hurt.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  7. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That was a great twist at the end that I didn't see coming at all. I got a kick out of "bad Janet". And Jian-Yu (when he's himself) is a riot.

8. shokhead

Whatever happened to this show?

9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Whaddya mean? Nothing happened. Season one ended and now we're all waiting for them to start writing season two. Then they'll probably have to start filming it. Then we'll watch it. Probably later this year, possibly early next.

Deesky and KAJ1971 like this.
  10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

It completed its 13 episode run and then was renewed for a second season. The producers requested that NBC keep it at 13 episodes per season and that is what they will be doing.

If you missed anything, I think the whole season is available on demand from NBC.

11. shokhead

Didn't miss, guess it just went by fast.

12. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

DVD out on Shout! Factory October 17

no BluRay :realmad::sigh::cussing::wtf::mudscrying::disgust::rant:

13. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

This has just become available on NetFlix in the UK. Watched the entire 1st season in a few days. The 13 episodes flew by. I've gotta say I've really enjoyed it. I found it very engaging and funny and love the fact it doesn't have a laughter track. Kristen Bell and Ted Danson are fantastic in it.

Deesky likes this.
  14. Deesky

Absolutely true. And now season 2 has kicked off with a double episode. I thought the double ep was very good, if not the best its been, with a clever narrative structure. Great to see it back. Also great to see Speechless back too.

15. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

It was good to see Maribeth Monroe return as Mindy, the sole occupant of the "medium" place. She is hilarious! But I gotta say that I also love me some Janet!

agentalbert likes this.
  16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good return for this show. I love the way their torturing Chidi, Tahani and Jian-Yu. Everytime Jian-Yu starts talking about Blake Bortles, it cracks me up.

And yeah, I love me some Janet too. And Mindy.

sloaches likes this.
  17. Deesky

Excellent 3rd ep. I love me some Eleanor and Tahani. :) In fact, I love the little throwaway comments the show has made, throughout, by Eleanor about how she tots could get it on with Tahani:

"...a hot rich fraud with legs for days - side note, I might legit be into Tahani".
    "I'll miss you too, you sexy skyscraper".
    "...there's no way I'm falling in love with that proud giraffe again".

The show's progressed way faster than I expected at the end of last season. Which I think is for the better because it gets the obvious memory-wipe aftermath narrative out of the way and keeps us guessing as to where it's going.

18. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I just binged the first season of this over the past few days. Very smart little show, and all the actors are all so good. The reveal at the end of season 1 really has me interested in where they're going to take it in season 2.

I also don't think this is a comedy, but more of a lighthearted drama. The show explores serious philosophical ideas, after all, so it's walking a line and doing so very effectively.

19. Deesky

You'll be happy to hear that it's still a very smart little show in S2 - it never gets into a rut and keeps surprising you.
    I'm not sure I totally agree. I think first and foremost it is a comedy, clever yes, but much more a comedy than a philosophical exploration.

mcre01 likes this.
  20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

You're right, I may have overstated my point. It's certainly funny, but not always laugh out loud hilariously funny.

21. shokhead

Cute funny

22. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Really appreciate how it appeared on the UK Netflix but have no announcement. Not sure how they can call it a Netflix Original series.

Loving the extra freedom Danson has with Michael. Last night's episode "The Trolley Problem" was the best yet of season 2.

23. Deesky

Yes, good episode. The old trolley problem is a staple of philosophical ponderings to which there are no correct answers, as pointed out in the show. Which begs the question - why bother thinking about it? You'll do whatever feels right in the moment. That's it. But, as a student of philosophy, I appreciated the effort and the execution of the subject matter, including the Tahani/Jason dynamic.

24. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

Netflix can claim what the fork they like as far as I'm concerned, at least this fantastic show is getting a UK airing. I'm looking forward to watching the new episode tonight. Now if only someone would do the same with Speechless in the UK, I'd be a happy boy.

25. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

True but if they'd made some sort of announcement I would not be expecting the series 1 DVD set to be arriving soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.