The Good Place - new fantasy sitcom

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Sep 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

That’s a bit of a bummer. Does the DVD come with any extras? Watched the latest episode and enjoyed it immensely, so very funny. Really wish there were more shows like this about. Oh and good news, Minnie Driver tweeted that Speechless will be shown on Channel 5 in the UK. Yay!!

Colin M likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm happy for you because this really is an exceptional show. Mini Driver is fantastic in her role and a real force of nature. But really, the whole cast is amazing.

3. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I thought of one solution tonight that hadn't occurred to me before: derail the trolley. This only works if you, the driver, are the only person on the trolley, of course.

4. Deesky

Yes, but how would you actually effect a derailment given the few seconds you typically have to make a decision?

5. Solaris

I don't know anything about driving a trolley, but my first thought is to throw something onto the tracks ahead of me.

6. Deesky

I doubt it would be effective, but since this is a philosophical thought experiment designed to explore the intracacies of moral reasoning and motivations, one is only presented with binary (or limited) choices - there is no room for freestylin'. :) Of course, as realized on the show by a super-entity, anything's possible!

DeeThomaz likes this.
  7. Solaris

Oh I get that, but I like to improvise. My solution, I think, turns the whole problem inside out, and I think in the context of the show it would be an interesting ploy. Potentially sacrificing, or at the very least injuring, oneself in order to avoid killing other people, would be a morally sound decision, and would demonstrate the kind of thought process that Chidi is trying to encourage.

Deesky likes this.
  8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Had that solution ruined when it was posited with traveling with your best friend and derailment would kill all on board.

Did you ever get the blood transfusion to save your Jehovah’s Witness daughter, who's currently in a coma?

9. mcre01

mcre01 Forum Resident

So you basically see yourself as Captain Kirk facing the Kobayashi Maru?! I'm sure he saw it as improvising and came up with an original solution. haha

10. Solaris

Hey it's a thought experiment, I used my thinker. There's nothing to say you can't color outside the lines on this one. ;-)

mcre01 likes this.
  11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

A few: Couple of extended episode commentary tracks (no Bell or Danson, though). Gag reel. Table read though of one of the episodes.

12. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

The gag reel has shown up online. One of the few I've seen with profanity (which just makes it funnier).

13. Deesky

s
    Yeah, I was going to post it, but since NSFW, decided against it. Some funny moments there, especially when you forget to say 'fork'. :D

14. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Fork it!

15. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Thought it was kind of odd that Michael explicitly states that the reason he can't turn Janet into an edible marble is because they're "friends" without making a specific reference to the show 'Friends.' He was pretty obsessed about it back in season one. (Possibly he was lying, but I tend to doubt it. How cool would it be if the moral of all this is that network TV shows are the answer to the philosophical question of how to be good?)

16. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Lately Janet seems like the star of the show. She's my favorite of late, anyway. I like all the characters, though the one thing I just feel doesn't work is this idea that Eleanor and Chidi are so perfect for each other and that she keeps falling in love with him no matter how many times Michael has rebooted them. They don't seem to have a lick of romantic chemistry, so the idea seems very forced. Jason Mantzoukas as Derek was fun the last few episodes, but a little of him goes a long way so it was good to have his stay on the show be a brief one.

17. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

It’s not about their “chemistry”. It’s the “romantic” notion that they “need” or “complete” each other, I think.

18. Deesky

I agree there is little chemistry between Eleanor and Chidi and it feels a little forced to get then together. But also remember that in this reboot Eleanor doesn't feel that way towards Chidi as was actually acknowledged in the show, which leads to a philosophical question of why any two people click? Is it down to circumstances under which they met or would they always click no matter how many times reality plays over? I think the show leans towards the former (as do I, actually).

But I also don't see Jason & Tahani having much chemistry either. I think Tahani would be a better match for Eleanor, given that Eleanor passively hits on Tahani in every reboot! :)

The less of Jason Mantzoukas, the better (I was already tired of his shtick on Brooklyn Nine-Nine).

19. agentalbert

I guess. Without the romantic spark, that seems more like the basis for a friendship than an intimate relationship. Then again, pickings are slim. Other than Chidi and Jian-Yu, every male is a demon whose purpose is torture.

20. agentalbert

Bud didn't Michael make a point of saying that he's tried splitting them up in all different ways, and yet somehow her and Chidi kept finding each other and becoming a couple?

I didn't read Eleanor watching the video of her and Chidi together (which she watches a lot) and the way she feigned relief when he said he didn't have feelings for her to mean that she doesn't have them for him. It seemed like they were trying to show she did have some feelings for Chidi was was pretending not to as a defense mechanism.

No, Jian-Yu and Tahani don't have much chemistry either, but they don't keep gravitating to each other. They were set up as a couple in the first iteration we saw, but he went for Janet. Their scenes together are at least amusing, just as Jian-Yu's and Janet's were. Eleanor-Tahani as a couple might make the most sense and would be fun to see. That would leave Jian-Yu free for Janet. And Chidi free to think about ethics.

21. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I’d rather see Chidi & Janet together. And Tahani is way too uptight for Eleanor. Eleanor will end up with Michael.

22. shokhead

Boy this show has left me fast. Too bad.

23. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

You've stopped eating?

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  24. shokhead

Yes, when I try and watch the show. I lose my appetite.:laugh:

25. Deesky

Why? It's a great show - one of the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.