"The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" vs. "Once Upon A Time In The West"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Dec 22, 2017.

1. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member Thread Starter

In honor of the upcoming US and UK theatrical showings of "Once Upon A Time In The West" -

Which of Sergio Leone's near-3 hour magnum opus' is better?

2. The Good The Bad And The Ugly is my favorite western. I've never been able to watch Once Upon A Time In The West all the way through.

3. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I always loved Henry Fonda as the bad guy.

4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I could watch The Good, The Bad And The Ugly on a weekly basis. Whereas once was enough for Once Upon A Time In The West. I liked it, but one viewing was plenty for that one. Same with Once Upon A Time In America, now that I think about it...

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Good The Bad and The Ugly
    Better score.
    Better actors.
    Better film.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  6. alexpop

Film quality better.
    Better locations.
    I find it a tad boring.

YardByrd likes this.
  7. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Both are masterworks. I find it bizarre that people are calling OUTITW boring, once was enough etc. It’s absolutely incredible! An iconic film.

8. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Funny thing is I don't typically like Westerns at all but the Good, The Bad and For a Few Dollars more are two of my favorite movies.

9. alexpop

The problem I find with
    Once upon A Time In the West
    is Jason Robards, would have preferred more screen time with Charles Bronson.

Denim Chicken likes this.
  10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly might happen to be my favorite movie ever made - packed with action, humour, lots of shady characters and a broad variety of locations. It's like one big, epic road-movie opera with both actors and director absolutely on top of their respective games. Morricone has never been as good as with TGTBTU's score, not even with the Once Upon A Time... trilogy.

And the extreme nihilistic view at the world hidden within The Good, The Bad and the Ugly makes it the dark blueprint of revisionist westerns for me, alongside with The Great Silence... but that's another topic ;)

11. Better Score? yes
    Better actors? Hmmm, Robards vs. Wallach is a wash, Bronson vs. Clint -I'll give Clint a slight edge, Henry Fonda vs. Lee Van Cleef? Fonda for the win.
    Better movie? I vote for The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I like the story better and the pacing is stronger.

12. I wouldn't call it boring, but the pacing is a bit of a step down from Sergio's 3 previous westerns. I too think it's iconic.

Graham and Denim Chicken like this.
  13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Both are masterpieces to me but Once Upon A Time In The West just has a special place in my heart, (I think it's the score) so I picked that one.

14. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is my favorite movie of all time, whereas I could never get into Once Upon a Time in the West.

YardByrd and Ghostworld like this.
  15. alexpop

Once ....
    Starts of well,then the deep sleep.

16. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

But no Claudia Cardinale!

17. alexpop

Always thought she looked better inside a Bob Dylan gatefold.

18. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Once Upon a Time in the West has some great moments, and great performances by Fonda & Bronson. Seeing Fonda as a bad guy is really something. But Good bad and the Ugly is a classic that I never get tired of seeing. West I've probably only seem all of the way through once.

YardByrd likes this.
  19. To me, Eli Wallach as Tuco is what elevates TGTBATU to a classic. He stole the movie right out from under Clint Eastwood.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Once Upon a Time has the better start of the two by a wide margin. But the Robards character doesn't have enough to do. And I'm just not a fan of Claudia C's acting.
    It will always be GB&U for me.

21. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I find TGTBATU to be the greater film simply because I find it more organic and honest. By the time Leone made OUATITW (1968), I think his western style, as great as it was, was becoming a self-caricature.

YardByrd, unclefred and Ghostworld like this.
  22. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

^^^THIS^^^

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. Any love for Duck, You Sucker! ?

CDFanatic, conjotter, clhboa and 3 others like this.
  24. Jay_Z

Jay_Z Forum Resident

Once Upon is the most boring movie I've ever seen. No contest.

Ghostworld likes this.
  25. alexpop

A curio at best.