"The Good, The Bad And The Ugly" vs. "Once Upon A Time In The West"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by yesstiles, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Yeah, it's a big drop off in quality, but the scene where they rob the coach is memorable and well done.

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Better cast may have helped.

3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Too close to call for me so I didn't vote.

Leonthepro and Denim Chicken like this.
  4. alexpop

The Good seems the popular poll choice. Good, way more entertaining.
    ONce Upon A Time ..is more like a European Arthaus film. Brilliant, but too ..long.

5. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Once Upon A Time In The West is one of my top 5 films of all time, and definitely my
    favorite Western. A truly epic western.
    I'm not real clear why some are calling it slow, or boring, or whatever. We must have
    been watching different films. When I first saw it on the big screen in 1968, and now on
    my Blu-Ray, I've found it riveting every time I see it. Every scene is meticulously crafted,
    every star in the film is excellent (yes, that includes Jason Robards), and the ending is
    a true pay off. And Fonda's villainous performance is among the greatest of his career.
    But the main thing that pushes this into greatness is Morricone's music. Writing individual
    themes for each character, and then having those separate themes intertwine during crucial
    scenes (ie Bronson's harmonica theme combined with Fonda's fuzz guitar theme during
    the final shoot out) may have never been done this well before or after.
    And Morricone's main theme, through out the film in different incarnations, is perhaps
    his greatest achievement in film. Whether sweeping in epic orchestral form, or in intimate
    small group style, it is truly a stunning achievement.
    "Jill's America" is my favorite version of the theme, and a recording I play many times over
    the course of a year. One of my all time favorite recordings. Also, it fits Claudia's stunning
    beauty in the film perfectly.
    GTBATU is a good film, but no "Once Upon A Time In The West"........

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

For once so I’m surprised to see everybody admitting they don’t like “once upon a Time in the West.” And every reason for people not liking it, “boring”, worse acting, caricature of himself… All these things are wrong with once upon a Time in the West which I also dislike at the same time as most here “loving the good the bad and the ugly.” Somewhere along the line “once upon in the time in the west” — Probably after having undergone a restoration — It became the “overlooked” Leone a masterpiece. There’s a reason it was overlooked the first time: its lou Leone masterpiece. There’s a reason it was overlooked the first time: it’s lousy.

7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Finally watched it for the first time earlier this year and don't know why it took me so long. I loved every moment

8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Beautifully stated. You wrote exactly how feel about it.

GillyT and sixtiesstereo like this.
  9. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I’m a big fan of both Leone and spaghetti/revisionist westerns in general, but I did find OUTITW boring and not worth repeating. That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to argue that it's a bad movie, I just didn't enjoy it. I admit, part of it is because I had been expecting something more along the lines of the Dollars trilogy and was caught off guard by the more traditional style of OUTITW, but my main complaint was the characters. Most of the characters just did nothing to make me care about them, but I found Charles Bronson's character, 'Harmonica,' really annoying. I guess he was supposed to be dark and mysterious, but I thought he was just gimmicky and kind of cringe-worthy. The big twist at the end explaining his motives and his harmonica motif made me roll my eyes. Again, I'm not saying it's a bad movie, I just didn't like it as much as its reputation suggested I might.

10. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

And here's the final gunfight scene I referenced above. Besides being perhaps the greatest
    gunfight/flashback/revenge scene ever filmed, with only one line of dialog ("Who...are...you?")
    Morricone's combining of the two themes (Bronson's and Fonda's) heightens the tension
    and lifts it to a whole different level. (BTW, read the comments for this scene and the film
    on the youtube page...pretty much agree with what I was saying in my above post.

alexpop and jwoverho like this.
  11. Boo Rad

Boo Rad His horse was fast as polished steel

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, for sure. Although, I still love Once Upon a Time in the West.

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

for me this is a definite tie...

Leonthepro likes this.
  13. alexpop

Once upon a ....

I think the Leone film was more effective 50 years ago on the big screen.

People had more leisurely time.

14. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

GBU.

Can't get thru Once....

15. alexpop

I'll take Eli Wallach over tbe entire cast of West.

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. alexpop

Clint Eastwood turned it down( Bronson part). I'm sure Clint would have made the film a bigger success at the time. I would have cut Jason Robards ( bandit ) part out, Kirk Douglas wanted to play the bandit. I would have had the film intro, the films climax, made better use of Elam&Strode. Got rid of tbe railway scenes ( Robards). Made better use of the USA scenery, not just a stagecoach tracking shot.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I went with C'era una volta il West because it's amazing and because it's available in a version that's roughly 95% of what Sergio approved.

18. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Sounds terrible. The whole point of the film is the expansion westwards of the railroad, so-called “progress”. To axe those scenes is to misunderstand the film.

GillyT likes this.
  19. alexpop

The railway story could have been included. I don't think it was very well executed in the film.

20. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly...better leads. Some scenes of Once Upon A Time are breathtaking too...
    I would have loved it if Leone’s original idea was executed; kill the three key players of TGTBATU in the first scenes (the train station; a few bored man waiting).

21. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It has even less focus than other Leone movies! :D

22. alexpop

A Fistful of Dynamite :)

23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

'West' for me though I love both films - always think of it as a sort of meta-Western.

Graham likes this.
  24. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I went with The Good, The Bad...but both are excellent.

25. Left Field

Left Field #1 Shinboner

They are my two favourite westerns so I have always found it hard to choose one over the other.
    The Good The Bad And The Ugly has my favourite actor Clint Eastwood.
    Once Upon A Time In The West has my favourite actress Claudia Cardinale.

The poll needs a third option for those losers (probably just me) who can't seperate the two.:)

Yovra likes this.