"The Good Fight" - - The Good Wife spin-off approved...on CBS All-Access*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

CBS is ramping up its streaming service CBS All-Access not only with the new Trek series but now also with a The Good Wife spinoff starring Christine Baranski and Cush Jumbo.

The series will debut in the spring of 2017, co-created by Robert & Michelle King, along with Phil Alden Robinson.

Expect to see more original content become available on All-Access as its main drawcard - Star Trek, draws nearer.

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Now that JM Is gone, I hope the producers have the good sense to bring back Archie Panjabi...

- Kevin

3. Deesky

I've never been a great fan of Kalinda. She pranced around in knee-high boots trying to be hot, but wasn't (at least I didn't think so) and really, her acting wasn't all that good either (perhaps she was concentrating too much on her accent).

I'm not sure what the new show will be about, other than standard law firm stuff that's been done before. They'll probably build on the all female partner (if not all staff) angle, but I don't see that as being a particularly significant premise/hook.

Of course, I check it out when it comes out.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

5. Deesky

6. Deesky

The spinoff now has a title - The Good Fight (hmmmm). It's to premiere Feb-2017 on CBS AllAccess. Well, it was to air in May, but since Star Trek Disco got pushed back to May, they decided to move this show forward as a direct swap.

I doubt that The Good Fight will have the same potential draw power as a new Trek series to kick start the streaming service though. As it is, I'm rather ambivalent about the spinoff, but will check it out if it gets good word of mouth.

‘The Good Wife’ Spinoff Gets Official Title, Begins Production »

7. shokhead

What is CBS All Access?

8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

A new streaming service through which CBS gets access to your wallet.

9. shokhead

Not my wallet!

Lightworker and Vinyl Addict like this.
  10. AKA

AKA Senior Member

11. Deesky

It looks like TGW2.0 will be more realistic in terms of language use (F-bombs, colloquialisms, etc) and plot situations. A quote from this source sounds interesting too:

"The Good Fight pilot opens with the inauguration of Donald Trump, whose election win caught writers by surprise. The results sent them into a re-write of the pilot, the only episode they had completed at the time, Robert King said. Much like The Good Wife was a satire of the 2008 election, he explained, the spinoff will explore the ways politics, the legal system, and journalism will change under the Trump administration."

My level of enthusiasm for this spinoff has been boosted...

Lightworker and AKA like this.
  12. colinu

colinu I'm not lazy, I'm energy saving!

The video is geoblocked by CBS - those of us outside the US can't see it. :-(

13. Deesky

Use a proxy.

14. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

consider yourself blessed

15. colinu

The Toronto Star had a brief article on the show today. I am hopeful that it will show up here on one of the over the air channels.

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

17. colinu

While at the gym, I saw an ad for "The Good Fight" - W Network (basic cable) has picked it up here in Canada. I went to program my DVR, and saw Global TV (over the air) also has it listed for the same time - Sunday February 19th at 8pm. Global is only running the premiere episode.

18. Deesky

I really enjoyed the new series start, moreso that I expected. It's essentially The Good Wife with a shift in focus - fighting for the underdog, with some not too subtle allusions to the current political climate. So far it's all about the cases with personal character overlays.

Rose Leslie has a good screen presence. It will be fun watching her develop her skills over time. Delroy Lindo is also a charismatic lead in the new firm.

Loved the running joke about Diane's old firm how it now has a dozen names in the title and how even the receptionists have trouble getting all the names out when answering the phone.

A very good start.

CBC likes this.
  19. shokhead

Too bad they don't bring back Panjabi!

20. Deesky

Meh.

21. shokhead

22. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The fact that they apparently retained Gary Cole's character is a good sign that it will not go off the rails immediately.

CBC likes this.
  24. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

25. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I can't see this show sustaining an audience on CBS All Access, many of the viewers are older and (I don't think) can be bothered figuring that out, let alone paying to see it. In the case of "Big Brother", they can get away with it, this show, I think not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.