Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

No Toronto concert for either.......must be that Canadian dollar!

2. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

No New Orleans?
    I saw the first "tentative" schedule and they had NO scheduled on June 30.
    Wonder what happened.
    Would be cool if they played Jazzfest.

3. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

4. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I got a Camden ticket.

5. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

I would also expect Dead & Co. to be announced (with Phish) as a headliner at LOCKN this year.

6. trd

trd Forum Resident

I'm glad they'll be properly warmed up for the Dicks run this year :)

7. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Hey, I just noticed that Dylan is playing Boston the day before Dead & Company's two-night stand at Fenway:

Bob Dylan, Blue Hills Bank Pavilion - July 14 (Thursday)

Dead & Company, Fenway Park - July 15 (Friday)
    Dead & Company, Fenway Park - July 16 (Saturday)

Dylan's next concert is July 16 in Portland, ME... so, a sit-in on the 15th is theoretically possible, but perhaps not likely.

Anyhow, a nice three days in Boston for those who go! I'm sure there'll be some overlaps between the concerts.

8. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

Boulder tickets here (both nights) :cheers:

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

New west coast dates.................

Jul. 22 Moda Center Portland, OR
    Jul. 23 The Gorge Amphitheatre George, WA
    Jul. 26 Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre Irvine, CA,
    Jul. 27 Sleep Train Amphitheatre Chula Vista, CA
    Jul. 29 Toyota Amphitheatre Wheatland, CA,
    Jul. 30 Shoreline Amphitheatre Mountain View, CA

budwhite likes this.
  10. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Are they planning CD releases for any of the shows featuring Mayer? (or have any been released already?)

11. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I haven't seen or heard anything, but last week they said recording new music is a possibility...
    -

They also discussed the possibility of this incarnation of the group recording new music. Mayer said, “I’m open to anything that – how do I put this – that could really take strong root on a musical level, that can really validate itself on a musical level. If it can state its case for the reason it needs to exist, then I would absolutely jump to doing it. I would actually be very interested to see what the band could do as composers and as improvisers. I’m open to anything that this band could or wanted to do, as long as it answered the constant question, ‘Why?’ And if it has a strong answer, I would love to do it.”

Weir added, “Using John’s imagery, I’ll just say that I think it’s fertile ground.We have a lot of ground to cover before we get to that place, but I think we’re getting there. We don’t have any immediate plans, but I know it’s in the back of everybody’s heads.”

12. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

It's sweet old rockers need to rock, it's what they do.

13. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Anybody manage to score a ticket for the Fillmore show on Monday? (anybody have an extra ticket... :help: ?)

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I tried to get tickets the moment they went on sale and whiffed. Maybe I should have gone for only one? Maybe I should have worn my lucky boxers? Not that I have any. Lucky ones, that is.:D I will get by, I will survive. I'm fairly certain Jerry will not be playing that show.

pablorkcz likes this.
  15. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just listening to the Fillmore Gig that's streaming on nugs. Sugaree is fantastic.

Just in case anyone didn't know the whole tour is being released on livedownloads.com on CD and Hi Res downloads!

16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Watched the Bonnaroo stream and was thoroughly impressed - immediately bought tix for CT. I haven't heard Jerry living in the notes like that since he was here. I was skeptical of Mayer, but he's showing a lot of dedication and grace. I love Trey and thought he'd be a ringer, but Mayer is owning it. I'm guessing even Trey would agree it's a better fit. I haven't been too interested in Dead land since the Lesh Quartet. Dead & Company Welcomes Donna Jean Godchaux At Bonnaroo »

17. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I don't know why, but it was really cool to see Donna Jean up with the band at Bonnaroo. I wouldn't be adverse to her joining in on a few more shows this tour.

DJ WILBUR and jeffsab like this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

As long as one does't have an objection to the slower tempos (or can get over them), the Bonnaroo sets were quite good, IMO. Well worth the 3 hours I devoted to them last night.

budwhite likes this.
  19. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

They were OK, but I noticed on "Bertha" there was some pushing and pulling with the tempo. It sounded like Billy was trying to speed it up a bit (and Mayer was trying to go with it), but it just didn't take off. As good as that Bertha was (with DJG added in), it would have been killer if just a touch faster.

RayS likes this.
  20. RayS

Yes, it seems like Bob is forever trying to slow things down the last few years, and sometimes (as you observe) he meets some resistance.

Some songs respond to the slower tempo just fine ("The Other One") and some, not so much.

budwhite likes this.
  21. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

O
    O, the irony of Bobby trying to slow things down. For years, Weir's cowboy songs were the only thing standing between us and Jerry's attempts to turn everything into an 18-minute "Sugaree" snoozer.

DJ WILBUR likes this.
  22. RayS

Even the cowboys take it slower these days.

23. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I wish I understood his fascination/obsession with slower tempos. I think Trey made a comment about trying to pick up the pace when rehearsing for Fare The Well and being told to stop it.
    I'm not pining for the cocaine frenzied pace of early 80s Eyes, but an extra 5-10% can really improve the feel in my opinion without getting rushed.

24. They certainly sped up the tempo towards the end of Casey Jones at Bonnaroo!

RayS likes this.
  25. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Keep us posted about a CD release date.... I'd be interested in picking up some of the shows!