Dead & Company: The Grateful Dead Is Resurrected (Again), This Time With John Mayer *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by segue, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Phil regularly recreates exact GD setlists, so he is certainly doing so. He often has his son sing the Bobby tunes.

2. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Phil is on good terms with both Bob and John Mayer, so I don't think he minds.

budwhite likes this.
  3. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Unfortunately I never got to see the Grateful Dead live, but am seeing Dead & Co. Saturday at Citi Field. I really don't have high exceptions, just a nice night out with my wife at a cool outdoor venue (center upper deck seats).

Just got the below email and picked up two tickets for Sunday night too. $25 each tix for "field seats" (12th row by third base). Going to take the LIRR on Saturday and drive on Sunday with my friend. Tailgate scene should be fun!

Dead & Company is on the road with its 2016 tour! Grateful Dead membersMickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann and Bob Weir; singer/guitarist John Mayer; Allman Brothers' bassist Oteil Burbridge; and "Fare Thee Well" and RatDog keyboardist Jeff Chimenti will perform two sets of music on both Saturday and Sunday night drawing exclusively from the Grateful Dead's iconic catalog of songs - with no song repeated either night. As a Saturday ticket holder, we would like to invite you back for the encore performance on Sunday, June 26 with an exclusive $25 offer*.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
    budwhite likes this.
  4. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Careful! I got busted for drinking a beer getting off the LIRR for a Rolling Stones show at Shea many years ago.

5. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

nice deal that! I'll be there Saturday as well...hoping for a Morning Dew...

Erik B. likes this.
  6. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

Thanks for the heads up. When we drive and tailgate on Sunday, the 25 or so rules sent via email say no drinking, but most will I'm sure. Just going to hang out, BBQ and have fun.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Weir and John Mayer were interviewed by Andy Cohen for "What What Happens Live."

When asked which artist or group most influenced the Dead Weir said "Oh I'm going to go out on a limb and say John Coltrane."

Weir said that Dead and Co. will probably record an album. At first he said "but first we need to write new songs." Then he said that they were tossing around the idea of making an album with studio versions of songs Dead played that were NOT on studio albums before, and gave "almost all of the songs on Europe '72" as an example. Personally, I'd buy that.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I would as well

9. CraigC

CraigC Live It Up

I'd definitely buy a Dead and Co. studio release. I may buy CD's of both of the performances at Citi Field I attended. I thought Mayer crushed it on guitar and vocally. Bobby's voice sounded really good too. Again, I never saw the real deal, but Dead and Co. are stellar IMO. Check out this set list from 6/25, had a lot of my favorites.

Set I
    Shakedown Street bw jm * >
    Jack Straw bw jm
    Althea jm
    Loose Lucy bw *
    Ramble On Rose bw
    Sugaree jm *
    Passenger bw *
    Casey Jones jm

Set II
    Dark Star bw >
    Friend Of The Devil jm bw * >
    Scarlet Begonias bw * >
    Fire On The Mountain bw * >
    Drums/Space >
    The Other One bw>
    Wharf Rat bw >
    Throwing Stones bw

E: Ripple bw jm
    One More Saturday Night bw

*with Donna Jean

PacificOceanBlue, Wright and budwhite like this.
  10. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

How many shows have Donna guested this tour?

Bring on TC!

11. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Has Donna joined the tour? She's been there for 3-4 shows now I think?

12. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

And the important question: has she been featured on "Playin" yet?

pablorkcz likes this.
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Terrible idea-- the Europe 72 versions are definitive and are the de facto "studio" versions. Goi to be new songs or nothing,

15. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

3 so far.........Bonaroo and both CitiField

16. LandHorses

I pretty much enjoyed all 3 shows I saw.

Camden was really good with a great 2nd set.
    Saturday CitiField was my favorite of the 3.....especially the 1st set.
    Sunday CitiField was kind of "meh" in spots with some interesting innovative moments. The highlight was a 5 minutes Latin-Jazz spacey jam led by Jeff Chimenti between regular space and "Days Between."

I also got comped Sunday from upper deck to the field. They were doing this random in the upper deck both days but passed me over Saturday.

I'll go see Dead & Company again, but for me personally, they're only worth seeing local (NYC) or short trip (Philly area). My GD-related touring days are still over.

budwhite likes this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I haven't been following this reunion too closely, but that is a great set-list!

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

My opinion differs. I'd love to hear new studio versions.

19. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

I'm all for it as well. It's not like it's somehow gonna replace the versions many of us love. I'm down to hear how Dead & Co. would handle Mr. Charlie for example.

Lonson likes this.
  20. LandHorses

Dead & Co. should try to create what the last GD studio album would've been.

Bonddm, Matthew Tate and jeffsab like this.
  21. LUNACHUCK

LUNACHUCK Forum Resident

Nice little sit down with John and Bob after the citi field run. Lots of talk about this album you guys are mentioning and about why John isn't interested in playing Jerry's "Tiger" on stage.

John Mayer & Bob Weir »

ETA: show highlights broken into segments.

Bob & John on Jerry’s Presence »

Wright likes this.
  22. LandHorses

Getting ready to listen to the Boulder show on XM (not buying the webcast). It's supposed to be live instead of 1 hour delay like the Fare Thee Well shows were........we'll see.

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  23. LandHorses

Gans and Lambert on now pre-show.

Gans said new stuff was soundchecked..........(guessing he means GD songs that Dead & Co haven't played yet)

LUNACHUCK likes this.
  24. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

There's a Periscope clip from Boulder of "Even So", which I don't think they've done

#OneOccupation likes this.
  25. LandHorses

I'm guessing XM is running on delay............haven't heard "Even So" yet.