The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Complier

Complier Senior Member

DP 19 disc 3

My favorite Dead show

frightwigwam, Stone Turntable and JRM like this.
  2. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I listened to the aud of this today. It held up very well to my memory of it. In fact, I think I appreciate it more now. I had been mostly staying in the years 70 to 77 but listening to this makes me want to hear more good shows from this era. My memory is foggy but I think this is the last show I ever attended.

3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There were a lot of good summer '91 shows, including the Giants show with the first set Eyes and multiple Dark Star teases, RFK (View from the Vault II), and the 8/16/91 Shoreline show with the Scarlet-Victim-Fire and first set Dark Star. (The first set Dark Star confused me so much that I thought the show was over, and had to be convinced to stick around for the second set. My friend and I somehow wound up having pavilion tickets about 20th row center, right in between a mother and young teenage daughter from the extended GD family, who were arguing about the daughter wearing lipstick. Very surreal night in general, but a great show.) Other than a couple obvious ones, I don't know the Fall '91 shows as well because I was out of the country for a semester.

4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Yessir, it is.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. DrLunchbox

The Pine Knob 91 shows (Download Series Vol. 11) aren't too bad. A nice Scarlet/Fire on there amongst other things.

6. 905

905 Senior Member

Europe '72 remaster

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

just wanted to know are any of the tracks on WITHOUT A NET on any other live album? i mean were the exact same live songs released as part of any concerts released from the 89-90 tour

edit: nevermind i see a few tracks were reused on 3 things released since then but i don't own any of the releases

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. DrLunchbox

Yeah, the big one is the Spring 90 releases. I have cross referenced WAN with the 2 disc compilation of the bigger box because I have the bigger box and not the compilation. A couple were on Terrapin Limited too.

9. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

The Grateful Dead Download Series #1 on Amazon, April 30 1977. Favorites were Sugaree and the Scarlet Begonias => Fire on the Mountain sequence.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  10. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Terrapin Station.

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Although you wrote "nevermind" I'll answer anyway in case anyone else is interested.

Feel Like A Stranger - also on Formerly The Warlocks
    Walkin' Blues/Althea - also on Terrapin Limited
    Help/Slipknot/Franklin's - also on Spring 90 (Without A Net has vocal overdubs on "Help On The Way")

I think that's all.

12. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Wow, I just listened to the TLEO jam for the first time. That was stupendous - damn those bonus discs - something as good as this should be available to all. At least the music is out there on the internet, I s'pose. Thanks for sharing that JRM.

ianuaditis, dajokr and JRM like this.
  13. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

Charlotte, 1973, Download Series, Vol. 8. The only legit release of a Dead concert in which I was in attendance.

My favorite Dead period, 1972-1973. I'll listen to darn near anything from this era.

DrLunchbox, dajokr and JRM like this.
  14. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly?

15. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's the Visions of Johanna - pretty stunning (11/9/76, Keith on piano, BTW)
    http://grooveshark.com/#!/now_playing/Visions Of Johanna/5noCJK

Olompali likes this.
  16. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member

I don't have this in my collection. Do I really, really need it? Or just want it. Can you elaborate on what makes it special? Thanks, in advance.

17. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hadn't heard this before, Jerry and Mickey helping out on this one...

ianuaditis, rstamberg and Olompali like this.
  18. notesofachord

Thanks for that. Jerry had a unique tone - I think maybe it's the Travis Bean guitar that he was using live at the time? Keith played just fine, but he's no Nicky Hopkins (then again when it comes to 30-minute live GD explorations N.H. is no Keith Godchaux :winkgrin:). I enjoyed the performance just fine, but really, for me, nothing beats Bobby D. singing this w/ just a guitar during the spring '66 tour (Bootleg Series Vol. 4).

JRM likes this.
  19. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Bob on B.O.B. Definitive forever

notesofachord and JRM like this.
  20. notesofachord

I dug the Croz "de-de-duh-de" vocal rhythm thing on it. The song was certainly better than the somewhat clunky, IMO, Kantner/Slick tunes on the last two official Airplane LPs.

21. Zack

Zack Senior Member

I'd like to put this question here rather than start a whole new thread. Can anyone point me to recorded evidence of why Weir and Pigpen were nearly sacked in 68? I imagine that Pigpen was never expected to be good in a technical sense, but with regard to Bobby I've never heard playing from him that didn't seem to me up to his usual standard. Any ideas where his not having more "ch" and less "unk" is audibly evident?

ianuaditis likes this.
  22. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Funny, I pulled up in a Mercedes 450sel driven by a friend and picked up 16th row in front of Phil for this one! Krazy show. Boston fall tour all the shows were great. Hornsby era was perhaps the last hurrah.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  23. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've been playing the new RSD double album from 1979. Nice!

notesofachord and #OneOccupation like this.
  24. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

1979 is not too common, looked like way cool release.

25. Tridachnid

Tridachnid Forum Resident

Had no luck finding the RSD release in east suburbs of Cleveland. Couldn't drive all over the city since my son had an AAU basketball tourney. Bummer.