The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

7/29/66 on vinyl for RSD looks like tasty artwork

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, adamos, warewolf95 and 6 others like this.
  2. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

11/19/66 is my usual go to '66.

[​IMG]

adamos, warewolf95, NorCal and 3 others like this.
  3. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

James Cotton :cry: RIP

4. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I downloaded the show a while ago, based on your raves, but still haven't listened to it. I want to be in the right space and time to fully appreciate, when I give it that first spin!

warewolf95, budwhite and Archtop like this.
  5. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

I agree, that is one fine-looking album cover. :righton:

I 'spect it'll sound pretty good, too...

fishcane likes this.
  6. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Yes, probably better than the digital master from whcih it is made?

7. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Drake Salutes The Grateful Dead In New Song
    Posted by admin on Wednesday March 22nd, 2017

Late Saturday night, Drake unexpectedly dropped a 22-track “playlist” called More Life, with guest appearances from Kanye West, 2 Chainz, Young Thug, and so many more. In the More Life tune “Lose You,” the one-time Degrassi actor-turned-chart-topping-rapper includes a line that shouts out Grateful Dead members Jerry Garcia, Bob Weir, and Mickey Hart!

Give the track a spin, and listen closely for the “grateful” name drop:

I’m just takin’ what God will give me
    Grateful like Jerry, Bob and Mickey
    Better attitude, we’ll see where it gets me

Hearing Grateful Dead references in pop culture is generally exciting. Whether or not Drake chose that line (or even wrote it) for reasons beyond a perfect rhyme, we’re still happy to see that artists outside the jam band scene are turning on their love lights. From the Haight to the Six, the music never stops.

8. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I went to two Ratdog shows that had rap interludes. Not that I necessarily need to see that again, but it was different.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Rapdog - yikes! Of course, we all know that Mickey Hart invented rap on the original studio version of Fire on the Mountain.

10. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

I thought Al Gore invented rap???

11. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

actually it was marty balin on plastic fantastic lover.

12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

As long as no one attributes it to James Taylor's "Damn, this traffic jam" song, I'm cool with any of these theories.

warewolf95, BlueTrane and davmar77 like this.
  13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

The way this is heading, you'll probably roll your eyes and hate it. ;)

The first set is a bit up and down, but the Bertha, Jack Straw, Bird Song to open set the stage for a great night. Strong Deal closer, IIRC. The whole second set is inspired.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I listened to the second set a couple years ago after seeing you rave about it here, and certainly did not roll my eyes and hate it. Great show, and very unfortunate that a great soundboard of it doesn't seem to exist.

warewolf95, Billy_Sunday and Archtop like this.
  15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My iPod went briefly on the fritz while I was at work on Friday, so I wound up doing the "random show" thing and checking out a few shows. 5/13/81 Providence was up first, a well played show in general and a great sounding Charlie Miller sbd. Bearing in mind that all of these shows were listened to at low volume on my computer speakers at work while I was doing other stuff -- not my usual approach to listening to full shows - the biggest highlight for me of this one was the Bird Song, Let It Grow, Deal sequence to end the first set.

Next I was on to 9/23/87 Philadelphia, I'm pretty sure I got an audience cassette of this one, or at least the second set, shortly after that tour was over, but haven't listened to it in years. Another energetic, well played show despite some technical problems during the Feel Like a Stranger opener (I couldn't tell if this was a band equipment malfunction or a tape problem, but suspect the former). Good second set and one of the only La Bambas, for what that is worth (I was there for the MSG one). Finally, another one that I don't think I've heard before, Jacksonville 4/10/78 and easily the best of the 3 shows - although I only made it up through the Scarlet->Fire so far, will get back to the rest sometime soon.

Also re-watched Sunshine Daydream over the weekend, such a great show. I should relisten to the audio for the entire show sometime soon. But I am generally trying to listen to less GD and more other stuff for a while, as a bit of a break before the New Haven through Buffalo '77 set arrives.

16. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

This has possibly been answered but I went ahead a page and didn't see anything.

The 1411 kbps is the bit rate and is not the file size. A 16bit 44.1kHz wav file will be 1411 kbps bit-rate, regardless of file "size" or track length. Even if compressed (ALAC) I guess it still maintains original bit rate.

warewolf95 and wavethatflag like this.
  17. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

Got a "random" show for you, just made my drywall hall of fame last week...

6/27/84

Www.archive.org/details/gd84-06-27.sbd.unknown.12929.sbeok.shnf

I have a feeling you may already know this. Rooster even had me groovin

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Thanks. Back when I typed that I did have the brief thought that kbps wasn't a file size. Maybe I was looking at the wrong number in "info" in iTunes, or maybe ALAC files I don't create display differently than ones that I do.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Jacksonville was 8 April 1978. The second set of that show is substantial. Don't miss the Close Encounters during Space. :love:

20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

When I got home last night I unexpectedly decided to keep listening to the Dead and put on 8/14/91.

Absolutely perfect, because set 2 as a rain theme and here in town it was HAILING! :D

I made it to Drums and Space and am resuming now. Review incoming. :)

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  21. warewolf95

8/14/91 – Sacramento, CA

A picture-perfect Touch Of Grey opens the show on a perfect note. It sounds like Bob is having tech issues, but otherwise it's very powerful version that reaches a roaring climax at the finale. An oddly subdued Little Red Rooster is next. Bob's troubles persist and he sounds very hesitant to take his usual lead. Thankfully, the rest of the band more than pick up the slack. Just listen to Vince's keys and Bruce's piano! Sublime! A sizzling Loser is up next. It doesn't sound too out of the oridnary, but then Jerry says “Watch this!” and pulls a fantastic solo out his ass like it's nothing. Wow.

A relaxed-yet-powerful BT Wind is next. Always great to hear, Bobby sings it great and Jerry continues pulling great solos out of the air. After Row Jimmy, we get a pretty chill but very jammed Cassidy. It starts like BT Wind, relaxed and soft, but it eventually builds to a rocking crescendo. Awesome Cassidy. After 7 brief minutes of some of the best jamming this side of Brent's death, it's on to a very fun DEMI to close the set. Check out Bruce's paino. Great stuff!

A very rare 2nd set Cold Rain is our next stop. And it's pretty darn perfect. Bruce is on accordion, Jerry's vocals are great, everyone hits their notes. Simply put, this Cold Rain is the epitome of KILLER! The rain theme continues with an otherwise surprise placement of Box Of Rain. Again, perfection. Phil sounds particularly great and that can't always be said of his vocal outings. Funny coincidence that I'm actually listening to this during a thunderstorm (just by chance, I swear!) :D Of course, where could we go next but Looks Like Rain?

Jerry breaks out the midi trumpet and Bruce is delivering breathtaking piano runs that are just perfectly suited to the song. Eventually the jamming begins and it just goes and goes and goes. It's so powerful you can hear the proverbial clouds clearing in the sky and the rain running to the hills. The most perfectly placed Crazy Fingers is next. What a segue! After the crazy awesome Crazy Fingers, it's on into a surprisingly chill Estimated. It sounds like an '80s cop show, haha. As usual though, the cover of the book doesn't speak of it's contents. It's FANTASTIC!!! It rocks hard once it gets going and Jerry is hitting all the right notes in all the right places.

The drummers are goin' nuts and everything is just ON! Estimated is long – 13 minutes! - and leads into a very rare Supplication jam before UJB ends the pre-drums. It must be said though that the final minutes of Estimated are AWESOME!!! This is some of the freaking coolest Late Night Jazz Club jamming I've heard them do. Wow. Eventually Bob leads us into Supplication, but before long Jerry yanks the cord and segues us seamlessly into a note-perfect UJB. Wonderful rendition. Slowly, The Other One seeps out of Drums and Space and the guys do some great jamming for a bit.

Despite being enjoyable, it's a tad on the aimless side. The same goes for the following Wharf. The guys sound like they wish the show had ended with Drums and space, lol. A rocking Around and Around takes us out while my least favorite encore closes out the night. A highly enjoyable show for the most part. :)

22. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

DiP 18 - Feb. '78

Wow! I haven't heard this one in a looong time, and it is really lighting me up. What a spicy little Scarlet this is!

I did the first two discs last night booming on the speakers, since I had the house to myself. Tonight disc 3 with the cans. The "new" NOS tubes in my headphone amp are definitely Deadworthy.

23. warewolf95

8/16/91

Best segue of the '90s. It has to be. How the hell can you do a segue better than this Scarlet>Victim?!

That transition was insanely wicked! How did we go from sunshine and flowers to death and darkness?!

Crispy Rob and SteveFff like this.
  24. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Don't know if it's the best, but it sure is a favorite. I remember when Gans first played that one on the Dead Hour around the time of the show, I couldn't play it enough. That Scarlet>Victim>Fire and the whole second set are all pretty great, but that sequence is exceptionally unique and really well played. Thanks for the reminder. One to dig out for tonight. Especially as I've been playing a lot of 1991 Jerry Band these days.

25. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

"Dicks Picks Vol. 31 was mastered from the original 2 track analog source tapes, running at 7.5 IPS, recorded during the last American tour using the famed Wall Of Sound. Some sonic anomalies remain, particularly some over-exuberant piano-related sounds, but we have done as much as possible to bring the Wall Of Sound into your living room. Enjoy."

[​IMG]

Now playing CD4 (August 6)

Eyes of the World
    Playing in the Band >
    Scarlet Begonias >
    Playing in the Band
    Uncle John's Band​

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017