The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Really? I love Keith's honky-tonkin' piano on Dave's 3. Plus, there's a full-length That's it for The Other One, which is rare at this late date, and it's a scorching hot rendition to boot.

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, to be clear, I only have so many hours in a day. I prefer '72-'75 and the occasional other one. I'll give DaP 3 another listen this weekend.

notesofachord and ianuaditis like this.
  3. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Forum Resident

Good question. I was thinking the obvious answer would be the collaboration on "Wooden Ships", but I did find this:

At approximately 8:40 there's a dropout, immediately afterwords, you can hear Stills guitar and catch a glimpse of him sitting on the lip of the stage.

At some point I'll have to view the entire show. Joni Mitchell performs as well.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    ruben lopez, fangedesire and US Blues like this.
  4. Sredni Vashtar

Sredni Vashtar Forum Resident

Here's the chit-chat track.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Great stuff! Note the date of this show, it was right on the heels of Woodstock.

budwhite likes this.
  6. US Blues

The first version of this show I had started with He's Gone, so it would fit on a 90 minutes cassette. The great copies of this show came from a reel-to-reel master. Enterprising heads brought the machine to the Stanley Theater, and Healy gave them a patch out of the board for the second set. And then the band responded with one of their most exploratory jams of the year- funny how that works.

The reel master does not circulate in the digital realm in a direct transfer, the version that circulates has a cassette generation. One day we'll hopefully get the direct transfer in circulation. There also circulates a transfer from the Vault master cassette, nice quality but it lacks the dynamic range and bass clarity of the reel source.

7. US Blues

I got Ned Lagin's new CD Cat Dreams yesterday. It's a much more musical and approachable listen than Seastones, with a variety of styles used throughout. A very enjoyable musical journey. Ned even does some scat singing on one track!

8. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

That was finally released on the dick cavett rock icons dvd along with lots of other great music.

9. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

"Enterprising heads" only in the broadest sense of the word. Healy's coke dealer was invited to bring his Technics 1506 in and get a patch.

10. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I've always thought the song had a soothing or comforting feel, at least in the way it is sung. Like finding solace or the will to carry on in difficult times. Or if walking alone by the black muddy river is related to passing on, that would also lead to a release from earthbound suffering.

Wright and budwhite like this.
  11. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

Not sure if you guys are considering this Dead or not....Just the Eyes of The World qualifies it as some of the best playing of that song. yeah, it's no 1974 or 1990 with branford, but it has all the magic to put it in the "something special" category. yes, I know about oteil and his fun that night :)

As Jerry once said..."Yeah, I like to check into that hotel every now and again" :edthumbs:

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Yeah, Oteil passed the acid test that night

13. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Back in Starbucks for the evening.

The setlist for 10/18/74 isn't exactly too thrilling for my taste, so I'm gonna jump back over to 1991 and 8/17, Mountainview. Now THIS is a killer setlist!

Also, I have my review for 10/17/74 for y'all to try to digest :D

wavethatflag and US Blues like this.
  14. warewolf95

Everyone knows I love a good Eyes, so I'm hitting this up before beginning 8/17/91

So what's the deal with all these proshot streams of the Dead and Co. shows? Do they broadcast the shows on their website or something?

wavethatflag and Bingo like this.
  15. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Off topic. Allman Bros at Concord several years back. Oteil bass solo with Persid Meteor show going on overhead.

Oteil is a bad @ss.

16. budwhite

Nugs.net. Phil Lesh's uses it also. Pay per view I think

wavethatflag and warewolf95 like this.
  17. budwhite

[​IMG]

Mount Rainier 2015

18. warewolf95

7/23/16

Wow, ok that was one of the best Eyes ever. For no Jerry or Phil, it doesn't get much better than this!

It starts really mellow (almost TOO mellow!) and eventually builds one massive head of steam. Mayer is really feeling it and the piano is just bonkers on it.

I haven't delved into Dead spin-offs, but I just might have to look some more of these Dead and Co. shows now!

Also, Weir sounds much better singing it than I expected

wavethatflag, Claxton, JRM and 2 others like this.
  19. warewolf95

10/17/74 - Winterland - The GD Movie Soundtrack ******* (The word for the night is perfect)

Static/speaker issues persist through the first few songs. Promised Land is the rocking opener for tonight and the energy is UP! A wonderful Half-Step is up next. Everyone is playing great and Jerry's vocals are just terrific tonight. Actually, it's possibly one of the best of the year – nearly perfect in every regard!!! After that outstanding Half-Step, it's on to an equally wonderful BT Wind. It sounds like a Euro '72 version – it's that good! After that insane BT Wind, it's on to an equally just as insane FOTD. It's the uptemp-but-chill version tonight. I just can't ever get enough of this version. It's terrific! Guys, excuse me for repeating myself, but everything said about the previous three songs also applies to Jack Straw. How they could be so ON some nights is just crazy.

The following Loser is very, very cool. It's exceptionally chill tonight and Jerry's delicate (yes, I said delicate for “Loser”!) solo is just awesome. I guess the theme of the first set is “perfect”, because that's how everything has been so far and El Paso is no exception. China Cat is very stately sounding tonight. Reserved and rather “presidential” sounding to me. It remains this way throughout Rider as well, but the whole thing is, of course, excellent. Reserved and powerful-yet-dynamic rocking from start to finish. The guys take a country break for a great MAMU and Roses before the finale of set 1, WRS.

Urghf this Weather Report Suite is just album-perfect in every way. Not a bum note in sight, all vocals and soloing delivered with passion and perfection. Just remarkably good. And with that 18 minutes of awesome, set one comes to a close. Greatest first set ever?! Of course, how else can you open set 2 now but with an awesome Scarlet! It's very, very nice. Donna begins the jamming proper with the tuneful wails of a dying whale. :) In all seriousness, she sounds great and is vocalizing to the hilt. Even the crowd cheers for her! The jamming gets very chill afterwards, mainly being propelled by Billy's drumming and Phil's bass. Jerry lays back and delivers a plethora of carefully selected leads which are great. Rather than blowing it all at once he's slow-burning it and the jamming is just awesome.

Scarlet seems to end all to quickly but Big River picks us back up immediately. After Ramble On Rose and Mexicali keeping the pace, it's on to He's Gone. It's great. Chill in all the right ways as a good He's Gone should be. And somehow, out of all songs, He's Gone is the one that leads us into The Other One. Didn't see/hear that coming! The transition is extremely cool and reminsicent of that 1991 Scar>Victim>Fire I regaled you all about recently. A perfect example of them just sliiiddddiiinnngggg on over into TOO. Another winner of the annual Best Segue Awards. :)

Can anyone tell me what the theme of the jam around 4:00 is? This TOO is really cool and we get loads of perfect abstract jamming. It's 1974 and it's TOO – what do you expect? :) It's 30 minutes long, full of intense and varied jamming which includes hints of Spanish and Heaven Help The Fool. INSANE TOO! Probably the most intense part is the Tiger Vortex Of Doom. It's short-lived, but just ridiculous. So then it's out of the Vortex and into some more uptempo jazz jamming.

Lots of great Keith in this section. Eventually this then evolves into a quasi-Spanish Jam that is extremely chill and REALLY cool!!! Jerry breaks out the slide and Keith is still shining through. This is definitely one of the standout moments of the entire show. Incredible. This further evolves back into some more blues-based jamming before returning to the TOO theme. And of course, we somehow then transmorph all of this into Stella Blue.

The transition is so fantastical that the crowd goes nuts! Jerry rushes the intro a little bit, but that doesn't matter. This is primo drift-off-to-dreamland material right here. Wow.... So tender and quiet and passionate. I want this played at my funeral! After that incredible Stella, it's on to a perfect Sugar Mag and Casey Jones to end the show.

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I was surprised to find that the Space jam before Morning Dew in the GD Movie wasn't played before Dew live on 10/18, but was edited in from 10/17.

21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

But on the soundtrack CD's, it as correct for 10/18, just incomplete

22. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

Yes, they are on nugs.net I believe. Some kind of pay per view. I think it's $20. I can't remember. Maybe someone else can give a more definitive answer.

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  23. Bingo

Bingo Forum Resident

I agree. They just take it to that special space of smiles. I've seen them 7 times. IMO, the best groove since 1991. I have a fantastic time each time I see them and have a feeling it's only going to get better. Also, you gotta love Shakedown in the middle of the 2nd set.

warewolf95 and Erik B. like this.
  24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

This is gonna peg me as a rookie, but I just listened to Dick's Picks 2 for the first time.

[​IMG]

Got it used in very good condition for $11, including shipping. What can I say? The "Tighten Up" jam is obviously the main attraction, but this is probably also one of the very best "Sugar Magnolia". Of course, this isn't the full show, so it may not be possible to draw general conclusions from it, but it feels quite un-'71-like, in the sense that there's none of that workmanlike "saloon band" quality that characterizes the rest of the year. But it's not like '72 either - it's too... fierce. It's like this pick doesn't belong to any year. Out of time and out of space.

25. warewolf95

YES I was actually gonna post about that Shakedown as well! Really cool slowed down like that - heavy as hell. And dare I say, Mayer was straight up channeling Jerry when he turned on the octaver/phaser or whatever and did some killer soloing!

wavethatflag and Bingo like this.