The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

The seller was super reasonable when I messaged him with an offer, did a great job packing the item and was even nice enough to hand write me a message thanking me for the purchase! Wish all transactions were that good! @SBegonias17 I hope you get 139!

SBegonias17 likes this.
  2. nfmboss666

I'm hoping to check out some of 7/1 tonight. Still finishing up 5/7/77, which is honestly IMO as hot as 5/8/77.

Crispy Rob, bmoregnr and Archtop like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'm currently doing Peggy-O, Music Never Stopped from 7/7/78.

Crispy Rob, bmoregnr and nfmboss666 like this.
  4. nfmboss666

That Peggy-o is brilliant! My favorite I've heard thus far.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  5. Archtop

Then I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you haven't heard this one yet:

6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ok, time to try to sneak in a good listen to the 2/24/74 Dark Star>Morning Dew from Dave's 13.

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  7. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

This comment from the uploader:

Otherwise, listen to the entire song, or most particularly at :
    4:14 ... new refrain ..., then ...
    4:48 Jerry center's the group, the tiger in a trance ... !
    4:53 ... one of the most utter sweetest guitar lines I have ever heard ... imo...
    5:02 that amazed Jerry look, he's surprised, blissed, lifted, and so are we ...
    :shh:

8. Their studio work is under appreciated, imho, on the whole. I'm always pleasantly surprised how compelling it is when I go back to it after a long period of live-only listening.

9. nfmboss666

WOW!!!

Ezzie, Scopitone and Archtop like this.
  10. nfmboss666

Is this whole show this good?

Ezzie, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Of course, April of '78 is IT. :tiphat:

Ezzie, SBegonias17, bmoregnr and 4 others like this.
  12. Archtop

I have no idea; it hasn't been released and I've only listened to the Peggy-O from this night. This is something you need to get acclimated to. Sometimes the best moments are buried in a lousy show; sometimes the worst moments are buried in a great show. Sometimes all things clicked and there are great moments in a great show. And choose any incarnation in between. The GD was a very strange animal. They did things that people never thought to do. I mean, they are really odd. Then again, they were just ordinary folks like the rest of us. Well, not so ordinary. See the conundrum? Who were they? Does it really matter? It sounds good.

unravelled, Ezzie, Crispy Rob and 6 others like this.
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

those 2, anthem for the sun, wake of the flood.

Scopitone likes this.
  14. Archtop

Let me just say: Welcome to the bus. There are no seat limitations on this bus. We have no idea what might happen, but odds are it's going to be unusual. It still happens over 20 years after they ceased to be.

Oh, and to be clear, I would take @US Blues recommendations to heart. He's been up and down the GD block more than a few times.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  15. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Make sure you watch the US Blues and Truckin' from this show--Jerry windmills and catches a bit of air. It's pretty amazing. Great show, and the film (at least the restored/color adjusted version) is a revelation.

If I'm remembering the story correctly, I think this was the film that was just hanging out on a tape in the closet of the college television station office, was found years later, and "liberated" into the world for our enjoyment. No one realized it existed.

16. Duke 4/12/78 is an awesome overall show. It takes a few songs to get the sound right, but then it really takes off. Highly recommended. Should be an official release some day. The Row Jimmy stands out in my mind, just to name one. Fast-forward to the US Blues encore and check it out: Garcia doing Townsend-style windmills. :righton:

Edit: @Champagne Boot said it!

Ezzie, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  17. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

A tremendous run. Wolf!

There's a lot of good chatter re: spring 1978 on this thread from last year, in case any of you who weren't with us then are curious. In-depth reviews and comments. 5 shows from April well scrutinized.

Grateful Dead 1978 College Campus Show Tournament

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

4-16-78 is even better, though not on film. Whereas the Duke version drops off and he does that last sweet quiet line, this one is more about building up to a climax.
    The solo starts normally about 3 minutes in, with a couple of standard runs through. At 4:17 it sounds like maybe a hint of a missed note, but he comes back with a vengeance, lighting it up in the next go-around and building to a big finish.

Who was supposed to be in charge of that peggy-0 showdown?

Ezzie, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 4 others like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good show and great venue. IWT!

Wright likes this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The thing is, their flaws are the smile on the Mona Lisa, at least up until 1972/1974/1977/1978/1979/1983/1986/1989/1990/1991/1993 (take yer pick).

Ezzie and Archtop like this.
  21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Racer 5 made it into my confounded hands this weekend although other IPAs graced my confounded fridge. I have no interest in wrestling, but am interested in Glow because of Alison Brie, who was great on both Community and Mad Men. I've liked what I've heard of Marc Maron's podcasts although I don't do podcasts much.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I went back and listened to that Brown Eyed Women again. Overall there may be at least a couple of better versions that month, but the back end of Jerry's solo on that one is probably the hottest 30 or so seconds of Brown Eyed Women in May '77. Thanks for drawing my attention to this one.

budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  23. US Blues

Here's a great example: 23 April 1984, New Haven. A show not nearly as well known, or well regarded, at 5 May 1977 (Cinco de Mayo). Why? Frankly, it sucked. During the first set people were yelling at Healy to turn up the volume, I have never heard the band play so quietly. The second set started OK with Iko Iko, then devolved into an anemic due of Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance. And yet, miracles happen every day. Jerry woke up out of his opium induced nod to perform an utterly stunning version of Uncle John's Band. Long, lengthy lead sequences that had found Bobby trying to move back to his microphone for the next verse, but Jerry had dug in and was playing the song. And then the wind went out of the sails and the remainder of the show was once again meh.

The next night they tore the roof off the coliseum, took a can opener to it and peeled it back like a lid from tuna fish. '84 was like that.

Cassius, Ezzie, notesofachord and 6 others like this.
  24. US Blues

You're very kind. It's an obsession, but it's pleasing. :tiphat:

Ezzie, budwhite, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I just happened to be listening to a particularly screechy one while reading the posts about Donna, which was a funny coincidence.