The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

To be honest, I bet you can put together a VG/Like New set for much leass than $58.33 a pop incrementally. Even new, only a handful are going to cost that much.

warewolf95 likes this.
  2. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Considering I came in late and the much better packaging, the RT reissues are going to be like mana.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I know it's not '72 or '77, but Jerry tore the house down during Sugaree on March 25, 1985 in Springfield, MA. Sugaree starts at 5:48.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  4. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

!!!

warewolf95, ianuaditis and Archtop like this.
  5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Don't forget the Lake Placid '83 version either.

warewolf95, RockRoom, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  6. Archtop

Sugaree context, of course.
    Well, I wasn't in the house for that one.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

IWT! My Brother Esau was mindbending that night, and Birdsong was indescribably good.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The June 1976 recordings are a better mix than the July Orpheum shows. That 9 June show sounds stunning on a proper system.

9. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Not Wake Up On The Floor?

warewolf95, budwhite and Scopitone like this.
  10. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Wake up to find out that you are. . .on the floor.

11. :)10:05-10:45:)

12. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

If we are going back to the 80's in the DaP series, its gotta be 12-27-89. Everyone on their A game. The Bird Song is an all timer. JG fumbles some lyrics but who cares, the jam is one of the best of the 80's IMO. (3-9-81 is my other fav) The pre drums are just as gold. The quality of the recording is dynamic and warm. What a way to spend a work night....

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  13. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Obviously not an offer for everyone, but for a new Head with more money than time, this would be the end of the rainbow. I go on eBay and report some of the more notable offers from time to time.

SBegonias17 and warewolf95 like this.
  14. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Except no bonus discs:(

15. Tonight listening to 8/5/70 San Diego. Not the best sound, but not too bad either, with a bit of tweaking. Unusual song selection with a couple of New Riders on board. Check out the acoustic El Paso with a mandolin.

dgwint and warewolf95 like this.
  16. Archtop

Yes, mirthful indeed. I recall a cheshire cat grin in my past. And then the third solo break came around and the band began splintering slightly and the whole thing was just nuts.

warewolf95 and Blue Note like this.
  17. Archtop

Welcome, @Orange T-Rex! I rank that one highly, but not as highly as many from '72 and one or two from '74. For the record, here are my notes in Media Player for the 2/26/73 Playing in the Band:
    (hot like '72! then meanders into '73 and then back into '72 hotness).

So, you are indeed onto something. Try these on for size. Some are more lengthy (or of similar length), but most are more short. However, they pack a power punch:
    1. 3/27/72
    2. 4/8/72
    3. 4/16/72
    4. 4/24/72 (my personal favorite)
    5. 5/13/72
    6. 5/24/72
    7. 8/27/72
    8. 8/6/74
    I guess I posted this, or something close to this recently, but if you missed that...

RockRoom and warewolf95 like this.
  18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I hope you have that saved in a text file to cut and paste!

warewolf95, Scopitone and Archtop like this.
  19. Somehow missed your first post...welcome @Orange T-Rex !

warewolf95 and Orange T-Rex like this.
  20. Archtop

I've given up on that. My worthless opinions are now all public domain (and legally, have likely been so since the day I posted them). Cut and paste it onto your bedroom wall if you like. I do have an idea to write a book about the juxtaposition of a certain prog band and a certain jam band that many of us love, but I suspect I'm too lazy to do that.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I'm there with you on the RT 4.5. The sound is really good on that set and, even better that, it has great takes on a lot of tunes, I really dig the versions of old favorites (of mine), like High Time, St. Stephen, Scarlet Begonias, and Sugar Magnolia, and new favorites (again, of mine), like The Music Never Stopped, Crazy Fingers, and Cold Rain and Snow. I think I've made it through most of this set since I first got it, but have much more exploring to do.

adamos, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  22. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm listening to Dave's 21 for a second time. Bobby says they've let loose tarantulas and snakes on the stage, but that probably didn't happen. You see, he's just trying to get the front-crushers to take a step back, but that song hasn't been written yet.

"'Everywhere we've been, the audiences have been Grateful Dead audiences,' he said. 'We've had the German equivalent of the guy who gets up on stage and takes his clothes off. We've had the English freakout, the Danish freakout. But we haven't been playing enough. I'm a music junkie and I have to play every day. The gigs are too far apart. It's like we're not @#$%ing off enough to enjoy that or we're not playing enough to enjoy that.'"
    --Jerry in Rolling Stone, 6/22/72

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  23. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Enjoying Boston Gaaaaden '77 (5/7/77) again tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Holy ****, the final jamming on "The Music Never Stopped" is blowing my head right off!! I mean, that first set was great, but the ending? Totally, mind-boggingly redonkulous. In the best way.

nfmboss666, adamos, hyde park and 5 others like this.
  24. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

This is a fairly glorious Playing on DaP 22. The jam in it has a lot to do with Playing but also some that has little to do with Playing--it's a good mix. Anyway, in NASA terms, Playing is the primary stage rocket for this show.

adamos, Ezzie, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Looks like my doppelganger has arrived. :D

notesofachord likes this.