The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

The only question is whether they have it at the right speed. This is a classic show and since we already know you like 1978, I can't conceive of a scenario where you won't want it.

dzhason likes this.
  2. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

There are good technical reasons for this, musical reasons aside (although there are plenty of good musical reasons to stick in the '70's). For better or worse, the sound quality of most of the vault recordings from the '60's and '80's is sub-par, and official releases would be lucky to match the sound quality of unofficial recordings already freely available (the 30 Trips box is an excellent example of this).

Matthew Tate, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I think "Promised Land" is my favorite of their Chuck Berry covers. But there's nothing great about it. It's just a fun tune to sing along to, I guess - nice energy.

budwhite, trd, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Fixed that for you. :tiphat:

budwhite, Instant Dharma and dzhason like this.
  5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was checking out some more GD clips on YouTube earlier and was watching this one where Bob and Jerry appear on Letterman in the early 80s. I found their personalities very endearing even from the little bit of talking they got in and it got me in the mood to read a book about them. Is(are) there anything(s) that's considered like a definitive read on the GD?

Here's the clip for anyone's viewing convenience (I came prepared this time @bzfgt ):

wlove2372, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  6. trd

trd Forum Resident

Agree with all of this

I got in to a promised land kick the last few months as my move to CA approached. "Tell the folks back home this is the Promised Land calling and the poor boys on the line!"

Plus, it's Chuck Berry - who doesn't like to hear some Chuck Berry licks on occasion

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  7. trd

trd Forum Resident

Re the new Daves Picks

[​IMG]

It's a fine show, the close encounters is neat but a novelty. The setlists from this era are just so damn repetitive. With the 77 and 78 boxes out there I'm just a little burnt on this material.

If they offered a download option I might be more inclined but at this point I'm not buying physical CDs unless it's really exciting and only available in that format.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

For me Dennis McNally's Long Strange Trip & Blair Jackson's Garcia were my starting points.

9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The Promised Land from 9/3/77 (Dick's Picks 15) has a shredder of a solo from Jerry after the last verse. That may bring you around a little bit.

4 mighty fine years. I expect this pattern to continue with the return of the Betty Boards. There are a lot of shows on that list that would get released sooner rather than later. I am expecting a Brent or Vince show for #24. Perhaps 6/20/1991 will actually be the next release. I think they're aware of the interest in later years, but they want to get the 60s and 70s stuff out before the older fans fade away into their tapioca.

This one is really exciting. Probably the only previously unreleased show from 77 or 78 that I would say that about.

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

Boy howdy did the 30 Trips Box prove that! I think us audio nerds had been telling our friends (and other message boards) this for some time. The box really made it clear.

I'm still hoping they come up with an avenue to release 80s shows. Maybe something less premium and/or limited? Imagine a box of Greek shows? A summer tour 85 box? Summer 82?

So many great shows in the 80s, I'd love to hear them polish up those shows (acknowledging their sonic limitations) and release them

Time to revive the download series!

budwhite, Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

If the download isn't at a discount, I'd rather buy the cd. Can always ditch it later.
    Also, I'd put this specific show as "really exciting and only available in that format."
    I agree, many shows from the same era do start to run together. And, my interest in 1978 isn't as high as some others around these parts.
    However, 1/22/78 really is a legendary show from back in the cassette trading days. When your supply of blanks was running low and you had to make choices, "Close Encounters Space" was a mandatory dub.

12. trd

trd Forum Resident

Well that's a solid endorsement

And yes totally agree, with the return of the Betty boards we should not be surprised with Dave hanging out in this era. I think I just need a break, maybe worth buying and putting on the shelf hmmmm

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Actually, 2/26/77 would also qualify. I expect we'll see that one in the next 2-3 years. But this one is a monster, as he said on the video.

bmoregnr, Archtop, nitsuj and 2 others like this.
  14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It would be a great show to release. What would be major news is if they found a SBD of 6/4/77 (mentioned by Crispy Rob recently).

15. trd

trd Forum Resident

Absolutely yes - that's a must buy when they release it

nitsuj and budwhite like this.
  16. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

As someone who attended shows in the first half of the '80s, I'd like to see a few shows from that era, but there are two things to consider:
    1. They are still tapping the slightly older crowd for the most part; and
    2. The majority of shows from the '80s (at least up to the coma) are on cassette masters and they just don't meet Dave's QA/QC standards.

dgwint, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I have read that in late 1982 they began recording to digital. However, they recorded the PA mix rather than a separate mix like those Betty set up in the 70's.

bmoregnr and Archtop like this.
  18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

What about the LST documentary film that came out recently, would that be a good introductory to learning more about the band's history or is it for those who are already more well versed (or, alternatively, for those with a more cursory interest)? (I went ahead and ordered the LST book you mentioned, along with some Herbie Hancock related bios that have been sitting in my cart for a month or two. )

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The other one from 78-01-22. One of the best versions from '76-79 for su...
    And don't forget, the icing on the cake - Jerry's legendary outro jam :tiphat:

20. budwhite

Keith is all over this one :pleased::thumbsup:

nitsuj, RockRoom and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. budwhite

Keith is... unpredictable, I'll say that. Groovy NFA right now that moves around

22. budwhite

I'm relistening to St Stephen from said show.
    Jerry's lead guitar drives the train before they start to sing. It's ridiculous :tiphat:

23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I just figured out that I never imported DaP 22 into iTunes or even listened to it, which is why I was scratching my head when 23 was announced today. I googled DaP 22 a few hours ago and saw the cover and thought oh yeah, I remember that one.

So I'll be enjoying the double DaP box set with bonus disc.

dzhason and budwhite like this.
  24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

How about any of the 4/78 shows? Isn't there a special show with the only 1978 Dew?

US Blues likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Nice! I'm going to be up to my ears in new Dead. I had just placed an order for the 5/78 box, the Sunshine Daydream box (Veneta, OR, sorry history buffs, I forgot the date), and RT1.2 (10/77 outtakes), when only a few hours later the new Dave's was announced. To be honest, I'm still digesting Live/Dead, RT 4.5, and Dave's 13 & 22 that I got a few weeks ago. Good times!

US Blues, Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.