The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

2. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Nassau sounds right to me

3. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

Everything I've heard with Duane on it is great! At Fillmore East is right up there with Live/Dead for me.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Crispyrob, I have no idea what the lyrics are actually supposed to mean, it's an odd juxtaposition to have a long distance runner with a dragon creating havoc with fire. Nonetheless quite intriguing to me, though it's music over lyrics for me generally anyway, but I like lyrics complex and obscure. I presume that most sophisticated songwriters have no intention of explaining themselves, and the fact that different people can draw different meanings out of their words must surely appeal to them.

I've usually connected the Fire lyrics to the fire that was happening in the nearby hills, and that it may have been an event that shook them up a bit (have no idea if that's true or not). Since there are not any real dragons, I interpret the dragon with matches as an unknown arsonist. Dragons in movies spread fire breathing-based mayhem without concern for their effects, and are certainly dangerous. An anonymous arsonist could fit that description. How a mere whole pail of water fits in I don't know, but if it's a metaphor for a complete water based attack on the threatening fire at hand, maybe it makes some sense.

Likely though, Hunter had something completely different in mind that's not like my interpretation. But, part of the beauty is that I can weave my own story out of it and enjoy, plus the very formation of the words that he puts together appeal to me in a way similar to Garcia's guitar explorations when I'm listening to them together.

5. LucaB

LucaB Forum Resident

May 11, 1972: Rotterdam

Dark Star -> Drums -> Dark Star Sugar Mags -> Caution -> Truckin'

Love this Caution. Near impossible to stay in my chair.

6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The original lyric was:

"Wrong way Billy, what you standing there for?
    Get up! Get up! Get out of the door..."

7. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Love that Tempe KBFH broadcast. The full show needs to come out some day. That's my favorite '77 NFA and the Black Peter is haunting!

US Blues and budwhite like this.
  8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

When I say "that Black Peter blows!" I mean that quite literally, thanks to Phil!

US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

you can hear my transfers of this on the archive.

10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I really should have prefaced my earlier comment with: "Among other possibilities...", as Hunter's lyrics for this song (like many of his others) are pretty open to interpretation and evocative of a lot of things. Anyway, as U.S. Blues pointed out, the lyrics for this song evolved quite a bit from the Mickey rap version [edit: and IIRC the Steve Miller version was pretty close to the Mickey rap one], to the final version (with the Spring '77 version only having two of the final three verses). And one could argue that there was no absolute "final" version, as Blair Jackson's Golden Road magazine once posited as a truism "No two versions of Fire on the Mountain have exactly the same lyrics", as Jerry was prone to scrambling or forgetting some of the lyrics, probably in part because two different verses start with (the loneliness of) the long distance runner.

11. Jerry

I like hearing those original lyrics from outtakes. One of my favorites is "Jack Straw" from the 1971 sessions where they're teaching Keith the songs. Here's a copy of Hunter's orignal lyric sheet, if you can decipher.

[​IMG]

12. Jerry

Thanks Dave, that brings back memories! Weir forgetting lyrics and then saying "that's right!"

13. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Boy, that escalated quickly... I mean, that really got out of hand fast … going from
    “we can jump the toll gate,
    save us 15 cents” to…

“I just jumped the watchman
    Right outside the fence
    Took his ring, four bucks in change
    Now ain't that heaven sent?”

Crispy Rob, adamos and budwhite like this.
  14. Jerry

Even better is that there is a band studio recording with those lyrics. Keith playing organ. Weird.

Look for it on the archives, when you search
    Grateful Dead Live at Studio Rehearsals with Keith Godchaux on 1971-09-29

15. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

its not exactly like the feb release and not like the soft cocoon of the fall

"Throw your hatred down"

notesofachord likes this.
  16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So I return from the wisps of time to report in with the news of my continuation of 1982. :)

4/8/82, Syracuse, NY

Set 1 - gd82-04-08.m160 senn421.miller.137071.sbeok.flac16
    Set 2 - gd82-04-08.set2.sbd.miller.109567.sbeok.flac16

A pretty fine Stranger kicks off the show. Still my favorite opener.

Also, I missed you guys. :D

17. US Blues

That's a big 10-4. We missed you too, trucker dude. :wiggle:

18. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Hopefully you have your chips cashed in, and if you see the Doo Dah Man don't play poker at his table.

19. warewolf95

4/8/82 - Syracuse, NY

Set 1 - AWFUL song choice, but "HOLY MOTHER OF GOD" performances. :)

Also, if you listen to this Let It Grow, your ears will bleed. We are not worthy of it!

Crispy Rob likes this.
  20. US Blues

That looks like a standard-issue, early 80's, first set.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. warewolf95

Lol, it's funny though because it's totally worth listening to. It's pretty darn excellent!

22. ailgin

ailgin Forum Resident

Damn, I like that organ part. Makes me sad that we didn't get a studio album with all the new '71-72 songs. Of course the live stuff is great, but I agree with Hunter: a record (better yet, a couple of records!) with these tunes would have been the pinnacle of studio Dead, IMO.

23. warewolf95

4/8/82 – Syracuse, NY **

A rollicking Stranger kicks off set one like a party. Aside from a nasty burst of feedback, it's pretty perfect. Around 4 minutes, the funk really starts to flow. Brent is playing some super fly keys and Jerry's breaking out the wah and other effects. It soon turns into Saturday Night Fever in the best way. :) Jerry then whips out my favorite song ever – take a guess – TLEO. Just like one of the previous shows though, it's not dragging and for a slow rendition, it's just fine. Funnily, for such a slight song, the crowd goes pretty nuts over it. Also, it must be noted Jerry does some excellent, and very high soloing! Lengthy and excellent – a surprisingly enjoyable TLEO!!! A shi!-kickin' MAMU is up next and does a great job of waking us right up. Jerry's doing his usual spaghetti noodling and things are all right with the universe.

The setlist for set 1 tonight is pretty dang AWFUL, but at least the guys are playing pretty good and giving everything the required doses of energy. The crowd's enthusiasm helps too. :) Big River is terriffic as usual – I don't think I've ever heard a version that didn't rock. Check out that ABSOLUTELY FREAKING AWESOME solo Brent takes around 2:30! He's shredding those keys so fast and for so long they probably needed to be replaced immediately afterwards! WOW! The guys keep the standards high and follow it up with an earth-shakingly beautful FOTD. Brent again steals the show completely, delivering an even crazier solo than Big River! This is worship music right here, guys! ALL HAIL BRENT!!!! Jerry follows it up with a great varied solo that reaches all corners of the fretboard. Him and Brent have me grabbed by the heart. I'm gonna faint again.

Then BOOM, right out of the unholy gates of Hell, we get one of the saltiest, sultriest, most passionately dirty Roosters these ears have ever heard. HOLY MOTHER OF SATAN THAT SLIDE SOLO AROUND 2 MINUTES. After Jerry's satan worshipping, Brent takes us back to the altar before Jerry throws his hands up in disgust and lets it rip once more. The guys are freaking ON tonight with their playing! Ramble On Rose is up next and it's the only nondescript performance so far. Skip on to Let It Grow.

As expected, the set closing LIG is fantastical – Check out Jerry shredding around 4:30 onwards!!!! Killer! I'm actually headbanging to this right now! Awesomely, the song basically continues throughout it's 13 minute duration as one exceptional Jerry-solo-based jam. Hell, the solo that started at 4:30 doesnt come to a close until the vocals resume at 9:45!!!!!! After the vocal resuming, the jam returns with a VENGEANCE!!! THIS IS ONE OF THE HOTTEST LET IT GROWS YOUR EARS WILL EVER HEAR YOU WILL DIE IF YOU LISTEN TO THIS! And just like that set 1 is over. I'm dead.

The guys have a surprise in store for us – they OPEN set 2 with a roaring PITB that features Brent on a super raunchy B-3 (right?) shredding it up once more. Simply put, this PITB rocks! The guys get right down to business quickly and your typical “semi-psychedelic” PITB jamming ensues. Highly enjoyable if a bit one dimensional. Interesting playing from everyone. Brent and Jerry shredding again, Bobby is doing some really cool wah-pedal rhythm playing. Around 9 minutes things begin to get exceptionally hectic, even moreso than the preceeding 9 minutes.

In another “just-like-that” moment, the boys segue seamlessly into a spirited UJB. It's perfectly light and jaunty and excellent. Eventually, Jerry breaks out his octaver for a bit before turning it back off and riding out the jam into a dark and tasty Estimated! The segue isn't exactly the most seamless, but the beat is never lost and there's no footing to be regained – all a plus! Ok, so Estimated is the best thing of the show so far (probably). That should tell you how awesome it is so I'm not gonna bother describing it – GO FREAKING LISTEN TO IT!!!

In another all-of-a-sudden segue, it's into a hyper-speed Eyes. Everyone knows I hate the fast versions so I'm not gonna comment on that aspect. For what it is, it's an excellent and jubilant 7 minutes of fun. Very nice. From drums and space, it's into the obvious choice of Not Fade Away. After NFA and a wonderfully bluesy Black Peter, we get a surprise PITB Reprise! A rocking JBG and US Blues end this awesome show on thie highest of notes. Awesome gig!!!

:)

LucaB, budwhite, wavethatflag and 5 others like this.
  24. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Looks like a Wake of the Flood banner behind him so 73 it is.

25. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

When did they start using those 2 out of phase mics?

FWIW gd1973 is in the link location of that second photo.

Also, looks like in the picture on the inside of DP1, he has the 'pre-wolf' wolf, with no stickers, so the stickers must have come later than 12-19-73 at the earliest.