The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

still jamming to the newest daves pick

dtuck90, US Blues, LucaB and 5 others like this.
  2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I just caught up on some zappateers stuff and read your recent long list of essential recordings.

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The sound on the Long Strange Journey soundtrack vinyl edition is freakin' amazing! Best vinyl Dead release that I've heard in many a moon. Lesh's sound is particularly bombastic, especially on the earliest cuts. Incredible set.

mgb70, budwhite, footlooseman and 2 others like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Like you Bud, I also played this whole concert for the first time earlier this week. I was really only familiar with the big 2nd set jam before (from Steppin' Out disc 3). It's not the tightest or well-played of the tour, but man, oh man, are they jammin' HARD. Very aggressive and rockin'. Great stuff.

5. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I don't think I've listened to that one since I got the trunk and did the marathon listen through the whole tour, but they sure set the tone for that tour right away. The quality never really flagged. I haven't listened to a Europe '72 show for a while, I should dig back into the trunk soon. But after a long break (once I finally listen to the rest of DaP 23 and then GarciaLive 9, I'll be more than ready for a break, and my wife has been needing one for some time now).

6. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Continuing a slow meander through the August calendar of shows with these two beauties. Like slipping into an old comfortable T-shirt.

At some point this weekend I will need to decide on some eclipse music. We're in the totality here. Bowie, Floyd and the GOGD are the likely candidates.

7. notesofachord

Keep on Truckin', warewolf. We're there with you, man.

[​IMG]

8. ducksdeluxe

And watch out for this guy on the roads.

[​IMG]

My favorite Crumb. Original black light posters of this are going for $1,000 on the interwebz.

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

OK, but by "stoned" he means trippin', because that's no weed I ever ... Oh, never mind.

I'm back in the fold though, and relieved to be so. I've been doing a lot of other listening lately. A lot. And I'm way overdue for some GD. Continuing on with Dick's 19, a thread favorite! You guys and gals (well, at least one, anyway) approve! I write this with confidence.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    US Blues, ailgin, LucaB and 5 others like this.
  10. ducksdeluxe

11. notesofachord

I had just played the first Miles Davis Sextet set from Fillmore West, April 10, 1970. I wanted to hear the GD's "Dancin' in the Street" from two nights later 4/12/70 that opens this disc:

Fallout from The Phil Zone
    [​IMG]

Nice version, for sure, but not quite as good as the one from Winterland three nights later (4/15/70). I couldn't resist continuing on with Phil's mixtape, since I've haven't played it in years. A great "New Speedway Boogie" follows and then.... HOLY CANOLI MOTHER BANJOLI. I had forgotten how epic the "Viola Lee Blues" that follows was (4/26/69). It's a slower burner with some great keyboard playing from Constanten. Oh, but it builds, and builds, and builds, and builds. Surely it's one of the top 5 or so Violas ever. AMAZING!! Maybe they had been inspired by an insane "Sister Ray" by the VU with whom they shared the bill.

Or maybe not. :shh::p

adamos, bmoregnr, US Blues and 6 others like this.
  12. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

and now for something completely different?

ducksdeluxe, US Blues, ailgin and 3 others like this.
  13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

No, it was revenge.

The night before the VU had played first, and played well over their time, and the GD were up against the curfew.

So the next night they returned the favor, and BTW, what you hear on that CD is not the whole encore.

Viola Lee, clocking in at a hefty 20 minutes+ was followed by 15 minutes of Feedback, with 'What's Become of the Baby' played over the soundsystem (IIRC that's why it's not on the master reels,) plus We Bid You Goodnight.

(Please ignore the absurd tracking on this, there is no 'Caution Jam,' that's just Phil speeding things up. )

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I've been attempting to cause trouble in the Un-Grateful Thread by insisting that people put on some GD and start posting over here. @Archtop ain't buying, however.

Erik B. and ianuaditis like this.
  15. notesofachord

I've made it to the middle of disc 2 of Phil's Zone. You know what that means: it's time for the mega-epic, primal 32-minute Rio Nido "Midnight Hour".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

adamos, ruben lopez, US Blues and 8 others like this.
  16. notesofachord

Oh wavethatflag, you're such a naughty barrister.

[​IMG]

17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

He's trying to reel in the GD diaspora...

wavethatflag and ianuaditis like this.
  18. trd

trd Forum Resident

Just poured a nice juicy IPA from Moonraker (named "Electric Lettuce" no less) and am enjoying 6/14/85 Friday night at The Greek

The Oade Brothers split omni source is always a treat

19. notesofachord

Check out the third to last paragraph. Yes, they were dancing in the aisles even back then...

[​IMG]

And does marracas really have two r's? LOL.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    adamos, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

trouble maker

footlooseman and ianuaditis like this.
  21. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

who hasn't been that stoned before ?

trd likes this.
  22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Finished up one from the vault. Now on to Dick's 21

23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Good catch! I actually wrote something about this in the proto-Grateful Thread a few years ago:

Embarking on a Grateful Dead journey (all purpose thread)...

[​IMG]

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Do not know but I thought the vocals on the latest Dave's '73 was a bit thin

I have five friends in America right now. Two is in Oahu, one in Wyoming and the other two in Utah/Colorado.

Don't know about Hawaii but Wyoming will get 100% according to my friend and Colorado about 85%?

Would love to see the eclipse but I had to do my road trip in the spring.

I hope everyone enjoys this once in a life time event!

Matthew Tate and footlooseman like this.
  25. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The out-of-phase mics started in '74, but IMO the vocals on tape were thin off and on in both 72 and 73