The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Maybe so, I read the title "From Egypt with Love" and made an outlandish assumption that it would be material from Egypt.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes that's the one

dzhason and trd like this.
  3. Cool. Yeah I remember you mentioning you saw SSDD. GD Movie, SSDD, and Closing of Winterland (12/31/78) are the best available all- or mostly-concert footage for that lineup. Check out Closing of Winterland if you haven't seen that yet. There is also unreleased but excellent footage of 4/17/72 (not the complete show but worth seeking out) in circulation. There's other video 69-78 but that's the bulk of the best of it unless I'm spacing on something (and with the caveat that I've never seen what was officially released for Egypt 78).

notesofachord and dzhason like this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

By the time the post-feedback jam hits, I'm going to be smiling like ol' John Waters here:

[​IMG]

5. notesofachord

Damn, this post-verse space jams feels like...

[​IMG]

adamos, rainbow dome, ailgin and 5 others like this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Closing Of Winterland on Dead.net doesn't mention anything about having a DVD.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. notesofachord

I'm enjoying hearing this new mix of the 4/8/72 Star. Yes, the Steppin' Out mix is more Keith-friendly, but hearing Jerry and Phil way out front is quite groovy.

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Dead Ahead is from 10/30-31/80 at Radio City Music Hall. Most of it comes from 10/31 except for a couple of the acoustic songs.

Back in the early 2000s when I was in college it was on CPTV all the time, although most of the 'Frank and Dave' material was cut IIRC. It's not bad at all, provided you like that period.

This link may help for other stuff:
    Grateful Dead Guide: Pre-'74 Dead Films

dzhason likes this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

New mix? Please do tell.

10. Released 2003 with a Shout Factory imprint. 2DVD set. This was a couple years before they hooked up with Rhino. Should still be available through other retailers?

11. notesofachord

Oops, by "new" I meant 2011 mix. I'm more used to the Steppin' Out mix from 2002. Hell, anyway you cut it, even the old '90s mixdown or the old 1972 Glastonbury Fayre LP mix, this Dark Star is all-freakin'-time. Tonight's listen only confirms it. It's a top 3 version of all-time, IMO. I heard the 5/11/72 Rotterdam rendition a couple of weeks ago and 8/27/72 a week or so before that. Both are inspired and wonderful, but neither matches the majesty of 4/8/72, IMO. It's all-killer, no-filler.

adamos, Archtop, bzfgt and 1 other person like this.
  12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I have the Closing of Winterland 2 DVD set. It's Monterey Video 319782, not Shout Factory. Came out in 2003.

notesofachord likes this.
  13. notesofachord

Dude, that's the 4CD music set you're looking at. The "soundtrack". You want the 2DVD set, which, by the way, has some cool NRPS and Blues Brothers footage (the "opening acts") on disc two.

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

yes get the 2 dvd set. you can get it on ebay cheap as dirt. got one in like new condition for $6.15 a few years ago

15. My copy is on Shout Factory but it may be a reissue.

wavethatflag likes this.
  16. headshok

headshok Well-Known Member

Currently being floored by Truckin > The Other One > Morning Dew from 12/31/1972. :eek::agree:

17. notesofachord

Aww, "Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks)" - my favorite GD jam vehicle of all. It blows my mind that they resurrected it for Europe. One more reason to cherish this tour.

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Soul Man & B-Movie Boxcar Blues by the Blues Bros. and then Glendale Train by NRPS. PCM stereo, Dolby Digital and DTS, mixed from the 24-track masters, video from the original 2" Quad master, whatever that means. Three sets of glorious NYE GD, including a DS>Other One>DS.

19. notesofachord

Hopefully they'll put that one out as a wide-release, rather than simply as a Dave's pick.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Just go whole hog and get the All Years Combine DVD box released by Shout Factory, which has virtually everything they released on video through about seven years ago, plus some bonus material, and includes the 2-disc version of the GD movie and Dead Ahead, and it is a steal for the amount of money it costs. It doesn't have Sunshine Daydream or the Egypt DVD and a few other things that were released later, but it is the best way to get a bunch of video quickly and cheaply.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It was about 70-75 percent in the Bay Area as well. Visible from downtown SF where I was, but unfortunately too foggy for my daughters to see it in Oakland (usually Oakland is less foggy than SF, but not today).

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I lived near Stamford from 6th grade through high school, and my parents are still in the area. Was just in Stamford briefly for the first time in ages in June.

dzhason likes this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The DVD was sold separately. It is included in the All Years Combine set.

dzhason likes this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I have a copy of the Hampton '79 LP, it is well played and sounds very good, and worth picking up if you like the early Brent era, and if you can find it for a decent price.

Archtop likes this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

What they put on the LP is all that they have in the Vault.

ianuaditis likes this.