The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. crazylegs69

crazylegs69 Forum Resident

Yeah, I had a 96 Mitsubishi Galant at the time. I traded in the car shortly after I paid to have the old tape deck reinstalled before I got rid of it. My cars since then have theft proof factory CD players, but I don't really play them anymore since satellite radio came on the scene...

2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Those are some great points man! I'm always looking for ways to better "contextualize" what I hear, so I'll keep all that in mind from now on. :)

US Blues, SBegonias17 and bzfgt like this.
  4. realgoneguy

realgoneguy Forum Resident

Just wanted to respond to the folks who are having problems with removing Disc Two of the Road Trips reissues that we are doing at Real Gone Music. Rhino manufactures these for us at a place called Technicolor/Cinram, and we first became aware of the problem shortly after the release of Vol. 4 No. 5. We notified Rhino and they agreed that there was a problem. They then contacted Technicolor/Cinram, who assured Rhino (and us) that with increased attention to quality control, the problem would go away while using the same jewel cases. Well, as we have discovered to our chagrin with the release Vol. 4 No. 4, it hasn't. The irony is that we went to the clamshell jewel cases because so many folks had complained about the original Road Trips releases in the wallets! We then explored doing the 3-CD sets in a slimline jewel case, but Technicolor/Cinram didn't offer that as a viable option.

Anyway, right now we are working with Rhino to see what can be done. We will not be releasing any more Road Trips volumes till we get this figured out. Our humblest apologies to everybody who has been inconvenienced. You can contact us at www.realgonemusic.com for replacement disc twos. We have plenty of extra Vol. 4 No. 5 disc twos, and will be getting some replacement Vol. 4 No. 4 disc twos shortly.

5. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Wow, it really was you because only the true culprit would know the exact misspelling that was written on it!!!

bzfgt likes this.
  6. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I personally still like the jewels despite the problem. I'm not a fan of the paper/cardboard wallet things, in fact I'm opposite of being a fan of them.

7. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I didn't get it, I only saw posnera's reply with the video clip after I made the above comment. I've only seen that movie once and I was in that same state that the Dude would've been in after his bath (only less clean and mostly clothed).

8. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I like the ones like what the Garcia Live comes in, that foldy cardboard with the CD trays in it. Is that the wallet thing? Not a fan at all of cardboard sleeves like Europe 72 comes in.

Thanks for replying here - you haven't yet released any of the Road Trips I'm in the market for, but seeing a company respond to customer service issues like this makes me more likely to purchase when you get to the 'good' stuff.

adamos, Spadeygrove and Dahabenzapple like this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I don't think so, I'd call those digipacks but I'm not an expert in cd packaging terminology. I believe the wallets are like the E72 and original RT1.2 packaging. Disclaimer: I have no idea if these statements are true.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    ianuaditis likes this.
  10. ianuaditis

I think you're right. I like the digipacks the best. I don't think I have a single jewel case without at least a small crack in it.

bzfgt and dzhason like this.
  11. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Foiled again!!

dzhason and ianuaditis like this.
  12. ianuaditis

Does anyone know when the term 'Deadhead' came into common use? Some of you old timers?

My friend had a vinyl copy of Skull **** back in the early '90s (so not a reissue,) and I thought it said 'Dead Freaks Unite' in it, but I was reading an article where someone talks about the term 'Deadheads' starting after that album came out.

In that late 71 Rolling Stone interview in Signpost, Garcia uses 'Grateful Dead Freaks' to describe the audience, but I believe he also says 'Deadheads' in it, so I guess it could be that both were in use at the same time?

13. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Say it ain't so! Where else am I going to get a reasonably priced copy of Vol. 4 No. 3?

ianuaditis likes this.
  14. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

But in all seriousness, kudos to Real Gone for addressing the problem quickly and with good customer service!

DrLunchbox, US Blues, adamos and 3 others like this.
  15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

True, I've been digging the Spring '77 sets I've picked up lately in the GSTL box and Dick's 3, I also have a later fall '77 set in Dick's 34 (11/5/77) that I have yet to dig in to yet. I need to revisit the '78 box again soon as well; it's worth saying that the 5/10/78 sets on DiP25 made as strong of an impression on me as anything in the '78 box. I've amassed a variety of stuff now from '69-'78 (including one set now from '79) so lately I've been hitting a set here and there from all of these various years. The nice thing is that there is something great to enjoy about them all.

16. bzfgt

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Skullexpletive says "Dead Freaks." No idea about "Deadheads" though. It was certainly well-nigh universal when I first began to be aware of them in 81 or 82.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I like to have my CDs in trays (jewel or digipacks are cool with me, but that is a good point you have about the crack epidemic), sliding them in and out of sleeves is kind of difficult without grabbing the top/bottom sides of the disc, it's not impossible, but I believe technology, including CD packaging technology, should strive to make life more simple and not more complex, or something like that.

18. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

The original deadheads?

[​IMG]

US Blues, Spadeygrove and ianuaditis like this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That makes sense. The box sounds great on my system, that and the July '78 box might be the best sounding 2-track boards they've released.

20. bzfgt

Kind of racist, though...

21. bzfgt

Yeah, looks like some of the people I went to high school with...

US Blues likes this.
  22. Twist2Piper

Twist2Piper Member

Wow! How incredibly thoughtful of you to post this information here. There are a good number of people who read this very thread that will be very pleased with your communication.

Yea, I think we all agree that the upgraded jewel cases that you all, by way of Rhino, are using are superior to the cardboard, and other than the extreme difficulty in removing the disc 2, is a rather pleasant and pleasing case for holding these awesome relics from the Deads history. If there was just a way to use a different kind of hub in that middle part of the housing that holds the second disc, I think you would be looking at universal agreement in that the Road Trips Series "housing issues" that have plagued the series from the get-go would be a thing of the past. I think it is a wonderful way to present these collections, just need to remove the "squared-teeth" from the middle hub.

Anyway, thank you so much for the additional info and a breath of relief straight from the source! I'm sure many of us who check in here daily would be willing to provide you with any help you all need at Real Gone to move forward. Thanks again!

adamos likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Why it is always "Disc Two"? Are there structural reasons for this?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Twist2Piper

Twist2Piper Member

^^ ....... I hope this doesn't mean that the releases are yanked!?!!??? The best releases of the entire series are right on the horizon!!! Denver 73, Rock Pow Wow 69, Austin 71, Fillmore East 70, and even the April Fools 88 shows.... These are some of the strongest releases of the series and would not doubt help gain a certain sales momentum... I sure do hope it is resolved so the releases can continue! Best wishes

Spadeygrove likes this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

What do you mean, it afflicts all jewel cases regardless of shape, size, and color.

ianuaditis likes this.