The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

That was a heretical statement by me. I didn't want to get banned from the thread.

2. wavethatflag

Listening to this now.

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

In that case, then I was referring to the hot dog too. ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    wavethatflag likes this.
  4. wavethatflag

Hot dogs are ok if you go for quality. They may still use animal parts we don't want to talk about, but I think it's good to avoid the ones with non-meat fillers. Of course Morrissey approves of none of it, but that's never fazed me.

budwhite likes this.
  5. wavethatflag

Listening to DaP 23 with '78 power chord Jerry.

We got a meme for this?

6. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Great man. But a bit of a downer at parties, I'm afraid.

wavethatflag likes this.
  7. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

So I'm pretty sure I've decided, for the time being, i'll be pausing 1982 indefinitely after I conclude the spring tour.

I've got every show through the Spring tour and only random shows afterwards. I don't have the time or the hard drive space right now (or for any forseeable time) to collect the rest of the shows needed to continue the marathon.

It WILL be continued, but not for a while most likely. From shows I've previously heard, I feel like the best of '82 is probably still yet to come so I'm definitely not giving it up. Just putting it on hold. :)

Also, as an aside, what do you guys do when you discover/get into multiple artists at the same time and can't focus on any of them as much as you want to? :D

Right now it's Elvis/King Crimson/Grateful Dead with side ventures into Bob Dylan and live Yes.

So much amazing music i'm digesting. :)

LucaB, bzfgt and wavethatflag like this.
  8. wavethatflag

This is when I dig out some classic JGB.

I empathize with this problem. Seriously, when confronted with multiple new things I want to listen to, and I can't decide, I dig out something tried and true I haven't heard in a while. And all memes aside, JGB, with its steady rhythms, really does clear my head.

Wow, Jerry goes wild on this Jack Straw.

Crispy Rob, Bracton, adamos and 2 others like this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Me too. As good a first set as possible plus I know the greatest Jed ever is coming up followed by a great Jack Straw.

10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Free jazz is always my answer. Especially the very abstract crunchy stuff. It helps me listen better. Nothing to hold onto except improvising master musicians creating in the moment.

footlooseman, mw1917, trd and 3 others like this.
  11. CBM

CBM Forum Resident

How long do the Real Gone reissues tend to stay in print? I want to get all of the Road Trips as they start to work through the series and want to make sure I buy the first two before they're no longer available.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. wavethatflag

I was reading in this thread that you can buy the first two RTs from Dead.net and still get the bonus discs. Fairly sure I read that here recently. Not sure if it's still the case.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. CBM

CBM Forum Resident

I bought those a few weeks back and got the bonus discs. I meant the first two they've reissued. If I read their website correctly they're working backwards from the end. They've got Vol. 4, no. 4 & 5 up now.

14. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

That was true for me about three weeks ago, and others as well.

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

The Real Gone re-issue of Road Trips 4.4 is now sold out at their site, but is still available on Amazon. I would jump on it now if I were you. 4.5 is still available at both sites.

16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think that disc 2 contains the part of this show that is worth listening to a number of times (well, that and the segue into The Other One...and Satisfaction.)

17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It would be nice to reissue the original mix of Live/Dead with side breaks, as per the original LP. I used to have a digital version of the original mix but lost it years ago. A very different mix from that which came out in 2001 (or whenever it was), despite it being said and reproduced in print at the time that Live/Dead was untouched.

Jerry beardless and playing an SG in mid-January '70? I don't believe it. That photo is a weird hodge podge.

I reckon it's from some time in May '70.

I think that this is a very, very good release. Light on the improv perhaps but where there is improv, it is of a high standard. The Other One from 6 December is a modest but pleasing journey. I can't really distinguish the 6th (which is almost all there thanks to the bonus disc) from the 7th in terms of quality, but the earlier night provides a greater amount of improv. Both are high quality shows but not really anything more than that, which is to say that they're well worth the time but no one's socks are going to knocked off.

18. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Good call on the photo, I didn't look closely at that.

And you're right about the different mixes. I had the CD of the original, from Warner's. I still have the case, but there's no disc in it, so I bought the Rhino reissue a few years back.

Grateful Dead Guide: Dark Star: A Tale of Four Mixes

Six Bachelors likes this.
  19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

My favorite version of Tennessee Jed is on this one. Prior to hearing this one, I wasn't sure about TJ, but that one really brought it home. (This was one of the first new Dead purchases I made earlier this summer when I was first seeing a revitalized and stronger GD appreciation so I wasn't very familiar with TJ at that time).

Six Bachelors and ianuaditis like this.
  20. wavethatflag

After completing a second, and better, listen of DaP 23, I've gone to disc two of RT Denver '73. Film at 11.

Edit: The only thing better than listening to Denver '73 is listening to Denver '73 while eating Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Therapy.

notesofachord, RockRoom, Zafu and 7 others like this.
  21. ianuaditis

I don't think I've listened to this before - sounds like Dark Star to me:

22. ianuaditis

This one might be in @Dahabenzapple's bag, though I know he doesn't have much love for Marsalis.

Hmm, are all of these literally connected to Dark Star, or just these two?

Whatever one thinks of Marsalis' playing, he certainly seems to have 'gotten' the Grateful Dead:

There was almost nothing [the Grateful Dead] couldn't play—and make the **** sound authentic. When they played a song by the Band or Bob Dylan, they played it with the same spirit as the Band or Dylan. They didn't feel the need to write their own arrangement of it. They were all listeners. There is a point where musicians who establish themselves stop listening to music and start listening to their own rhetoric. The Dead didn't do that. It was obvious in the way they approached a song.

— Branford Marsalis

23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Wembley Arena, London: 1 Nov 1990. The Day of the Dead- La Dia de las Muertas.

24. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

This is true as of this week. Mine arrived on Tuesday avec bonus discs.

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The track "Magnesium Night Light" is from Dark Star 10/9/89.

RockRoom and ianuaditis like this.