The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I happen to be listening to Here Comes Sunshine from that at the moment. Haven't heard that Dark Star in a couple of months, it is one of my favorites.

2. bzfgt

The last 32 seconds are not to be spurned.

3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

OMFG, what is Welnick doing? This ain't a cruise ship.

"You love the Grateful Dead, you love tropical vacations, GD productions in conjunction with Carnival Cruise lines presents Vince Welnick's questionable coloration on 'Eyes of the World''.

ailgin, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  4. bzfgt

It is a veritable sea of keyboards. I don't know if there is a boat...

ailgin, US Blues, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  5. wavethatflag

Kind of makes me wish for an alternate reality where The Tubes were one of the biggest bands in the world, and never broke up.

LucaB, ailgin, US Blues and 3 others like this.
  6. wavethatflag

This will never be my favorite show of 1990.

10 bucks Vince asked someone in the band if they could cover Toto's "Rosanna."

Man, I added this show to my iTunes library. And I have such a hard time deleting things. I'll just chalk this one up to adventures in listening.

bzfgt likes this.
  7. bzfgt

To Lay Me Down, though

wavethatflag likes this.
  8. wavethatflag

They've still got a long time to recover here.

9. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Inside out, I think I've called it before, but backwards works too. They have this space/feedback thing going on a lot of the time, (that I suspect is mostly Phil,) and Keith is in charge way more than normal.

It's certainly a polarizing performance, I've been trying since I read your post 15 minutes ago to come up with one I like better from 73. Maybe 2-15, but bass solo aside, that's a babe in arms compared to 12-6.

To me it's a performance that redefines what Dark Star was/could be rather more than some other versions, though perhaps less than some others. Like, it's not truly possible to have a handle on DS without factoring that one in, for good or ill.

I haven't quite gotten used to those 90s keyboard sounds yet, some of them are completely ridiculous. But I do like Vince's singing.

10. wavethatflag

I'll be working that much harder to stifle myself if anyone writes anything even arguably negative about Brent ever again, ever, including me.

11. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

White punks on dope
    Mom and Dad moved to Hollywood
    Hang myself if I get enough rope
    Can't clean up though I KNOW I should!

The very first Tubes album should be heard by all who enjoy the absurd. Very different from the FM rock nonsense they settled for a few years later. Good musicians, too, including Vince.

Anyway the mirror has shattered, and I'm winding down the Dark Star from Dick's 4. It's still September but I'm already battling the first round of pestilience to invade the Pacific NW. So the rest must wait for another day.

12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Alabama Getaway, Picasso Moon, 1990's Here Comes Sunshine :)

13. warewolf95

I was going to respond with a quote from my notes, but my notes had not yet reached essay-length proportions at the time I reviewed that show. :(

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. warewolf95

Alright it's time for Eyes from 6/26/94, Las Vegas.

Never heard it before but it's sounding really good (for '94).

Jerry is quietly squeaking out his solos like he's afraid to pick the strings or something.

Overall, not bad. Gets a thumbs up from me! :)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. wavethatflag

There's nothing you needed to write about in that Eyes.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. warewolf95

What did you think of 1/2 Step and Minglewood?

"Set one starts with a SPECTACULAR Half Step that is upbeat and amazing! GREATEST LATTER DAY 1/2 STEP END OF STORY. Minglewood is hot as F###! The energy is HIGH tonight!!!!! Hornsby gives a killer piano solo in Minglewood! GREATEST MINGLEWOOD EVER. "

I'm sure I was exaggerating to extremes but there's gotta be a hint of truth in there somewhere^^^ :D

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. wavethatflag

I was fine with the show to that point, enjoying Bruce, and then Eyes took me out of it. I still haven't recovered. Now I can't stop listening to everything Vince does. And now I'm feeling bad for Jerry for some reason.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  18. warewolf95

But at least you've got Bruce! :)

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  19. wavethatflag

When you said the Eyes was "tropical," I had no idea what you meant. But man, there's really no better descriptor, is there? :yikes:

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  20. bzfgt

I was at both these Eyes we're talking about. This one has almost no Jerry, I don't know what the hell he was doing. Pretty good Morning Dew, though.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  21. bzfgt

That is the greatest Minglewood ever.

22. wavethatflag

OK, this jam at the end of Foolish Heart with Jerry and Bruce is nice, teasing "The Other One." Bruce with the save! (9-18-90 for those keeping score at home.)

notesofachord and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Good story to hear. I never saw the Dead at that venue, but did see the JGB there in '93 and it was a great venue, and was lots of fun to imagine the GD shows I'd listened to for years prior having happened in that space.

Archtop likes this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

There is also a Bob entirely solo version from a Seva benefit in '86 or so, I had the tape back before he started doing it with the GD, so it was my introduction to it. He did a really nice version of Easy to Slip that night as well, one of my favorite songs by Little Feat, or for that matter by anyone, ever.

adamos, ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

It worked pretty well for Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers, but that's about it outside of the country music circuit. Agree about Mills and Tweedy, but every serious mostly rock 'n' roll band with a little bit of country in 'em who can afford it should try it once, even if the result looks ridiculous. In other words, I love the fact that they went for it, but am also glad that it was a brief phase.

ianuaditis, LucaB and budwhite like this.