The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

And yes, the whole run should be released as a box. Don't care that it has already been sold in multiple formats. And throw in some Blu-rays of the original movie plus all existing footage (band, fans, crew).

2. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

That is correct, Posnera. I kinda understand why it was edited on that GD movie box (to match the version in the actual movie) but that doesn't make it right, haha...

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  3. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yup. It's a smooth edit. I didn't notice it the first time until I missed the second verse. Shame they left it cut, there was really no good reason.

US Blues and Spadeygrove like this.
  4. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Some you can even predict, e.g. the limited edition model is guaranteed to be re-hashed 4x/year.... (sigh) (Zzzzz.... wake me when it's over) :hide:

ianuaditis likes this.
  5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Welcome, you'll fit right in. I will warn you now: if you let us influence your purchasing decisions you'll be broke by the end of the civil calendar year.

Jump right in and share what turns you on!

Ezzie, Matthew Tate and budwhite like this.
  6. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Haha thanks for the welcome US Blues. Right now I'm turning on to New Years 12/31/81...I think it was recently mentioned in either this thread or the Dave's Picks thread. Lots of enthusiasm from Jerry in both vocal delivery and guitar work. Really great setlist as well...the last of the 'classic' New Years gigs? The only thing I could do without are the contributions from Ms. Baez...:hide:

Currently in the middle of the Playin'--> Terrapin --> Playin' sandwich from set two. I don't normally venture too far into the 81-85 era but this is some pretty inspired playing. Isn't this the show where Jerry got 'married' to Mountain Girl backstage? Maybe that contributed to his energetic performance on this night if so.

US Blues likes this.
  7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

There actually is a lot of hot playing in the 81-85 era...certainly there are some musical criticisms to be had at times (they're all "sometimes" issues), but I think the biggest contributor to the view of that era is the sound quality of the cassette masters and issues with so-so official releases. The recent road trip rerelease (RT 4.4) is a great show and there are lots of fine shows that are Seamons matrixes or Charlie Millers that sound great both musically and SQ-wise.

8. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Great era for really hot and loud Garcia, that's for sure.

9. Jman92

Jman92 Forum Resident

Perhaps it's time I explore more from this period. The 12/31/81 show has got my ears perked up. I will try and check out that Philly Road Trips show at some point soon. Although I think I remember hearing it has already sold out? Still, lots to choose from...

Looking into my GOGD library, the shows I have from this period are as follows: 3/2/81, 3/9/81, 12/5/81, 10/10/82, 6/18/83 (that DEW...), 6/20/83, and 10/17/84 (that Sugaree...). I also have the full '85 Greek run, which contains one of the best outro jams to China Doll I think I've ever heard (6/14).

....Maybe I like this period more than I realized haha. Just haven't visited it in awhile. Been on a '76 kick lately. I do remember hearing that Spring 81 and Summer 85 are pretty great tours. Anyone have any particular recommendations for 'hot' shows between 81-85?

10. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

7/31/82 is always good....

ducksdeluxe, US Blues and RockRoom like this.
  11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

4-9-83 is a sleeper.

bzfgt likes this.
  12. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

May 81 has a number of inspired performances. IMO for post-78 shows you should dig into the MSG March 81 shows 3/9 and 3/10/81 (one which you have on your list) :)

bzfgt, budwhite and Mad Dog like this.
  13. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

Couple off the top of my head, from the tapes I use to listen to:

Greek Theater 9-12-81 never gets any love.
    Vegas 8-31-81 is good too.
    Frost 10-10-82 has an awesome 2nd set
    Venta 8-28-82 has a good 2nd set inspite of the the Day Job opener!
    Ventura 7-22-84

hoggydoggy and RockRoom like this.
  14. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

For tours, Europe ‘81, April ‘82, and October ‘83 are great places to start. I’d second the recommendation of 10/10/1982, that’s an awesome show. Some recent remasters of Summer ‘84 by Charlie Miller have been released on LL and they sound great.

Crispy Rob and ducksdeluxe like this.
  15. US Blues

You make several important points here, especially in regards to sound quality of the circulating sources.

I would contend that there is another conversation we can have regarding music from the period stretching from Brent's entry into the band on 22 April 1979 through Jerry's coma in July of 1986. The music during this period moved towards an arena rock orientation with a sprinkling of psychedelia, unlike the pre-hiatus psychedelia, and the late 70's which had it's own vibe (learning to play together again in 1976; finding the powerhouse groove in 1977; heading back into weirdness in 1978- All Hail the Wolf!).

There is a lot of "hot" playing in the 80's, and that band could move energy around a room and bring things to a frenzy, and then drop into and exquisite Stella Blue for dynamic contrast. Many of us enjoyed those shows and years tremendously while they happened, and yet... The early 80's lack some of the musical intrigue that we find in 60's and 70's performances. Many reasons which have been discussed at length (re-read this thread if you're dedicated), but the bottom line is the early 80's GD is it's own brand of band. This is not a put down, it is a recognition that their musical orientations shifted over time.

Personally, I would not want to trade in my experiences of shows and listening from and of those years (all the years combine), but I know that time frame for what it is. And the boards are sub-optimal, get the good auds and rawk out! (@warewolf95 gives regular lessons)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Lancaster, PA to Port Reading, NJ and then on down to McDonough, GA (en route...)

17. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

8/21/72 Berkeley. Shades of what's coming in six days. Dark Star transition getting strong-armed into Morning Dew by Garcia and Weir, but the rest of the band wants to keep hard jamming. Eventually El Paso spills out.

Next up, 8/24/72. That Dark Star will finally be resolved the right way.

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Not sure what all the fuss is about, but apparently this guy and lady think it’s their lightning too.

Spadeygrove, budwhite, nitsuj and 7 others like this.
  19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

After the failed Morning Dew segue there is an unusual Keith, Phil and Bill jam for a minute or two.

20. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

As someone who rarely ventures into post-'79 territory, I recently found myself on an extended hunt for hot early-80's "Althea"s (inspired by a comment from Sen. Al Franken in the Long Strange Trip documentary), and have to admit there was some amazing Garcia singing and playing to be discovered there.

My biggest problem with the era (apart from knowing that dark forces lurk and tragedies lay ahead) is the thinning out of fresh exploration and especially a fire dearth of great new songs. Besides "Althea" there's almost nothing I love that doesn't shine much brighter in previous years.

21. Mansley

Mansley Well-Known Member

Listening to the Nobody's Fault But Mine from this show, I realized Jerry sings the Blind Willie Johnson lyrics on this one. On the only other GD version I had heard, off of Birth of the Dead from '66, he sings "had a good love in my home" vs. "had a bible in my home". I'm not sure where those other lyrics came from.

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

It has been a rough week with consecutive viruses and colds in my household. Just finished off set one of Dave’s 23/Eugene 22 January ‘78. Suddenly I feel a million dollars (well, nine hundred thousand dollars.) What a set.

A few years ago David L told me by email that the multi is like that - that is, the part not on the five-disc set and not in the movie is missing altogether and couldn’t be mixed.

Now, I think it would have made perfect sense to patch it with the two-track that is in So Many Roads but I guess they felt that they wanted the five disc set to honour the film and be exclusively from multis. At least it has had an official release but it is another example of inconsistency with patches by the Dead organisation.

23. cedarbrew

cedarbrew Forum Resident

Bobby way back in the background there with his cowboy hat on looked like a young Stevie Ray Vaughn to me.

budwhite likes this.
  24. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listening to 12/6/71 Felt Forum (minus a few first set songs) from DaP 22 and its bonus disc and am enjoying it a lot more than the first go round. The Cryptical->Drums->Other One->Me & Bobby McGee->Other One->Crpytical->Wharf Rat sequence just finished and was quite a ride. As someone said a couple pages back about DaP 21, songs like Me & Bobby McGee have a very different quality when coming out of a jam sequence like that, and this is certainly an example.

25. US Blues

19 October 1973- Fracklahoma.

Dark Star > Morning Dew (plus other treats). :nyah: