The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

A Set I model & a Set II model def emerged after Mickey. The song selection varied, but the type of song slot stuck.
    Examples:
    Set I = Bobby ballad early.
    Set II =Jerry ballad after Drumz.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Steal Your Face was specifically created to get out of the record distribution contract that Round Records had entered into with United Artists. they owed UA two discs and that's what US got. In retrospect the really good stuff would not have worked well on vinyl (sorry enthusiasts) due to time constraints, so there's that. Plus the technology for correcting the deficiencies of the multi-track recordings was also in the distant future. What we need is a full release of the shows as played, properly patched; along with all extant video of the performances.

Without A Net also suffers from some of the technological limitations as SYF, since it came out in 3 formats: vinyl, cassette, and CD.

budwhite, Crispy Rob, Mansley and 3 others like this.
  3. US Blues

20 January 1979, on Jerry Moore's stupendous 5th row recording, as Bobby is tuning up the chunky chords for Estimated Prophet, one can hear some guy down front who keeps yelling: "Not that! Anything but that!"

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

In one of the Radio City 1980 shows there is a long gap during the second electric set where Bob announces that they're trying to decide what to play. Then they start Estimated and in one of the audience tapes you can hear someone say, "Oh yeah, we'll play that" (sarcastically).

5. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I was listening to 2-13-70, and as they're setting up for the acoustic set there's banter back and forth.

Weir: 'Yeah, we're going to play Alligator right now.'
    This gets a big cheer from the audience, which made me wonder if they were cheering because they took him seriously, or at his sarcastic burn of whoever was shouting for Alligator.

6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

4/17/72 China>Rider

Check out Keith from 5:30 through the transition. Pure brilliance.

Keith also off the chain gorgeous during Cold Rain opener. I might be going right for the Dark Star>SM>Caution. I think this would be my third time through over the past few weeks. These E72 shows are hard to separate when I'm relatively or very new to some of these shows. The big jams are all as strong as they ever played with very little predetermined sequences to my ears.

Crispy Rob, Mansley, adamos and 4 others like this.
  7. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

For some reason I read it like that and wondered about what you are really up to. I guess we see what we want to... :biglaugh:

warewolf95 likes this.
  8. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Public Service Announcement: The 8/4/71 Hard To Handle is pretty awesome. It's like the slightly less attractive, but still gets the job done 7.5/10 cousin to the 10/10, perfection of 8/6/71. Also an enjoyable show because everyone seems to be ribbing Bobby after his Yellow Dog Story. Also Jerry cracks that usually people are trying to break in to their shows (this one being at a prison).

budwhite, Crispy Rob, Archtop and 2 others like this.
  9. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

It should be noted that this is a pretty hot show all around. Well worth your time, no real jams to speak of (Lovelight is the only song to exceed 10 minutes), but all the shorter stuff is played with intensity.

Crispy Rob, adamos and RockRoom like this.
  10. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Veneta 1972 on blu-ray. No pros and cons. It's just beautiful music

11. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I love when someone mentions my FIRST show. March 9,1981. Its a hot one and the next night is just as good,(maybe better).

budwhite, Crispy Rob, Mad Dog and 4 others like this.
  12. US Blues

The next night was pretty darn good. IWT. $5 tickets in Penn Station. :goodie:

budwhite, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 4 others like this.
  13. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

NP: One of my very favorite official releases DiP 28 -- 2/26 & 2/28/73. Just blasted the Sugaree from the first disc. Jerry's really on fire here. His vocals are also terrific, really feeling it.

14. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Love your view. Both are great by me, but youre right about them being totally different.

For me, i focus more on the energy and the playing than the general sound or era, so i forget about how different the eras can all sound from each other.

:)

ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Love both shows. I played both several times to the masses when i worked at Dollar General. :)

LOVE the Eyes from both shows!!!

16. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Lucky. The Bird Song is my personal favorite.

17. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

After a fun J.G.B/ The Band/ Etta/ Kate Wolf show at Grass Valley, Ca in July of '83 at a small tree circled outdoor fairgrounds that is classic Northern California the GD played a show there a couple of months latter that got many thumbs down but in my reality it was loose and had some interesting twists and turns so I listened to Terrapin thru The Other One and the band was reaching for the brass ring and coming up short but at least they were reaching, an interesting listen. Thinking of you Nor.Cal!

1/18/79 Providence Civic. Truckin' with Phil having a ball. This was my wifes first show and a nice place to start.

10/15/77 Moody Coliseum, Dallas. Missed part of the first set but that is what happens when hitching. Played second set and always enjoy it.

18. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I just posted a different quote from this article in the Dave’s thread, but there’s a cool Egypt story that I wanted to share here. It’s from an October 2000 interview with Bob that Relix republished this week for his 70th:

Bob Weir: Furthur & Beyond (From October 2000)

“One moment stands out, and I don't know why it's coming to me now, but we were in Egypt," Weir laughed. "The first night of three we were playing at an amphitheater at the foot of the Sphinx at the foot of the Great Pyramid. They light it up really nice. There was a light show and all that kind of stuff. It was pretty spectacular. We were not that far from the Nile River. But anyway, the sun was going down and we start playing, the lights came on, and I hear a mosquito buzz my ear. One lands on my arm and as we're playing, I realize it's dusk and I look around and there's mosquitoes everywhere. I'm figuring okay, this is gonna be a 'Welcome to hell.' I'm not gonna be able to play a note. I'm staring to swat at mosquitoes. And I'm like, 'How the hell am I gonna go this?' and just as I'm thinking that, a shape goes by my head real fast. And the full moon's starting to rise now; it's gonna be an eclipse pretty soon.

"Back lit, you can see on the bluffs on either side of the theater, there's these sand dunes, and these bluffs are now ringed with Bedouins on their horses and camels with their rifles over their shoulders-hundreds of them on either side. They had heard that this was going on and came to check it out. Meanwhile, back on the stage, we've got a cloud of mosquitoes and as it turns out, that shape that flew by my head, another one flies by and then another. I look around again, and there are these bats about a foot-and-a-half across. Big fellas. Lots of them going after the mosquitoes. So if you back off from this, what you see is the Great Pyramid lit up, golden, magenta, whatever color it was at that moment and the Sphinx also lit up, and the theater surrounded by these Bedouins. And on the stage is the band all lit up surrounded by a cloud of bats! It had to have been one of the most sublime moments that's ever occurred. I left my body. (Laughter) If I had to freeze a moment in time, this is it. Take me now, Lord. This is how I want to remember it."

19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

End of the Scarlet transition 7/3/78 is pure genius

Go listen, Sir AT:)

20. Dominick

Dominick Forum Resident

Anyone heard 3/29/87?

21. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I'll listen to that if you listen to the 12/1/79 China--> Rider.

22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Ha! Somehow when I ripped Dick's 12 to iTunes, track 3 of disc 1 got mislabeled as being part of disc 3, so I had two track 3s on disc 3, such that disc 3 went WRS > Jam > Mind Left Body Jam > US Blues, but, of course, there was a strange skip from MLB>US Blues. It had me wondering if there was a glitch in the rip or in the CD. When I figured out that I had two track 3s on disc 3, I broke out the CD case of Dicks 12, in order to figure out where the extra track 3 belongs, and saw that, on the back cover, Disc 1 track 3 is labeled as Mud Love Buddy Jam, which had me going "Mud Love Buddy Jam? Is that a real thing or typo?" (the insert liner notes of Dicks 12 actually list it as Mind Left Body Jam). On a semi-tangential note (but not entirely), when I was listening earlier, I thought, "This is Mind Left Body Jam? Sounds kinda like a Feelin' Groovy sort of jam, have I actually been mistaken as to what the MLB Jam is until now?" (because I thought I heard the MLB jam earlier in the section labeled simply "Jam", as you mentioned. Now after reading your post everything makes more sense, although I'm still wondering if Mud Love Buddy Jam is a typo or if it actually pops up elsewhere).

If you're confused now, you now know how I felt there for a bit, but just do what I did at the time and listen to the music play.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    US Blues, budwhite and bzfgt like this.
  23. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It is Feelin' Groovy, you are 100% correct.

dzhason likes this.
  24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Listening to China>Rider from 12/1/79 that Archie's been touting. Wonderful. They almost go into Feelin' Groovy right before of Rider, but they do not.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

12/24/68-The Matrix, SF. Harvey Mandel, Jerry Garcia, Mickey Hart, Elvin Bishop, Stephen Miller, John Chambers. A bunch of guys apparently sitting around on Christmas Eve that year.

Track #1 is entitled "Jam" and lasts 36:47. I am about 8 minutes in and this is insanely good. Just pure seat-of-the-pants jamming at full tilt in true San Francisco style. Jerry is going off but the others are giving him a run for his money. The only thing this lacks is Phil Lesh or Jack Casady. I've heard of Harvey Mandel for years but this is the first I've heard of his playing. A nice fat fuzzy Les Paul tone, and he can hang with Jerry. And he played with Canned Heat and John Mayall, so I'm investigating this guy. Might be a fun little rabbit hole.

This is the first time I think I've ever heard Mickey as the only drummer, and he is absolutely bringing it. This is blowing me away. Holy smokes. Get your hands on this if you can. It has been commercially released as a bonus disc in Mandel's Snake Box set, so it may not be easy to find, but it might be available in some form or another. Get a hold of it if you can.

trd, US Blues, adamos and 6 others like this.