The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Cristo Redentor.

Evidently Howard Wales played with Mandel a lot.

Also wasn't Mickey the sole drummer on some of the October Matrix Hartbeats tapes?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  2. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Maybe some. The two I've heard were Bill on one and Spencer Dryden on the other.

nfmboss666 likes this.
  3. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I'm listening to the 12/7/71 show right now (after 12/6 yesterday), and liking it more and more, doofus skeletons on the cover notwithstanding. Very hot early Tennessee Jed just ended, and a nice El Paso just started. I like the "cowboy tunes", especially this one and Me & My Uncle, because I enjoy Jerry playing country licks in that quick bluegrass style of his. This is a nice version so far.

Dominick, Matthew Tate, trd and 4 others like this.
  4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

My uncle once told me that that song, and particularly the line you bolded right there, profoundly changed him when he first heard it in the early 1960s. It still hits me hard, too - a generosity of thought in the context of bleak nuclear threat that we need now as much as ever.

5. ianuaditis

12-5-71 was my favorite first set of all time for many years.

It has some competition, now, but just a vibe and the way they play the tunes. I assume that must be there to some extent on DaP 22 as well.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

That post was like an Escher painting, but at the same time I was able to follow completely. I don't know what that says about you or me, but it's all cool and yes, if we get confused, we know what to do...

GuidedByJonO))) and US Blues like this.
  7. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Go ahead and get the Snake Box - everything else on that release is good music, too.

8. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think on David & The Dorks as well.

ducksdeluxe, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  9. ianuaditis

There's also this 1969 New Riders performance. I haven't paid much attention to the drums though.

(It's not the greatest recording)
    www.archive.org/details/NRPS1969-09-18

"Mickey Hart I thought was...uh...was...could be institutionalized...I thought he was crazy. Mickey had the wild look...did not seem to be on the same planet with most of us at the time."

ruben lopez, US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  10. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

DaP 22: 12/7/71 - check out the percussion around the time of the "Just like Mary Shelley" line in Ramble on Rose.

12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Disk 1 [31:19]

SET1

01. [31:19]Jam

DEADLISTS COMMENTS

” The tapes circulating with this date are from a “Heartbeats” show, without
    Bobby and Pigpen. (1) with Harvey Mandel (and George Chambers?). This jam has
    previously circulated as “Set 3” of 12/16/68, but Bill Gadsden says that it’s
    “with Harvey Mandel from 12/24/68”.

From the San Francisco Chronicle newspaper of Monday December 23, 1968 pg 35:
    “At the Matrix tonight and tomorrow night:
    Jerry Garcia, Jack Casady, open end jam, no door charge” and elsewhere on the
    same page under the heading “OPENING TODAY”: “ROCK CLUB – Jam Session with Jerry Garcia, Jack Cassady and others, from 9:30 p.m., the Matrix, 3138 Fillmore. Free.”

On page 26 of issue #34 (Summer 1996) of Dupree’s Diamond News, Dick Latvala stated
    in an interview “There are tapes of 12/16/68 marked Hartbeats at the Matrix, but I
    don’t know if that’s really accurate. You know [David] Crosby was playing with them quite a lot that month.” He makes no other mention of 12/68 Matrix tapes in that article, but he has stated on another occasion that the tapes in the vault of 12/24/68 are labeled as Garcia jamming with the Harvey Mandel Band.

This show is not listed in DeadBase XI.

RECORDING
    SBD 31 mins.

Circulating recordings of the 1968 Matrix shows trace back to Bill Gadsden’s reels.
    Bill and Peter Kafer made copies of Peter Abram’s (owner of the Matrix) two track
    7″ Scotch reels in the summer of 1974.
    Peter Abram’s reels were either Masters or 1st gens

Lossless Bootleg Bonanza: Grateful Dead – San Francisco, CA (12/24/68)

Crispy Rob, US Blues and SBegonias17 like this.
  13. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I’m pleased that Dave’s 22 is getting some more positive attention now. A winner for me but I quite understand how the lack of the April/May ‘72 seemingly effortless fluidity and creativity is a bit disappointing for some.

The closing jam is in the Road Trips 1.3 bonus disc. A distinct buzzing sound related to Phil’s bass in one of the channels but a fun close to the show. That whole set, bonus disc included, is one if my favourite official releases. That Yale Bowl Dark Star...!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Mandel is the guy who joined Canned Heat right before Woodstock, yeah? He plays a Strat at Woodstock - a great, hot, feedback-y tone in that recording.

Crispy Rob and notesofachord like this.
  15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If I recall right the studio version of "Cowboy Movie" from Crosby's album has Hart on drums, Kreutzmann on tambourine. (The album doesn't have detailed credits, but the engineer Stephen Barncard mentioned it online.)

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  16. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Do y'all ever find yourself getting confused on purpose so you can listen to the music play?

Ezzie, Crispy Rob, warewolf95 and 4 others like this.
  17. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

You know what? I think I'm going to play that 6/16 'Wall of Sound' disc again.

18. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Yeah, that line was one of the things that turned me into a Dylan freak. When I first heard Talkin' WWIII Blues, the comedy of it stood out. When I finally "heard" the last line, everything changed. If somehow Dylan had written “I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” into a regular song rather than a somewhat obscure talking blues, it would have become one of the lines he is best known for.

Back on topic, I listened to some of Dick's 11 last night.
    [​IMG]

I think I said this the first time I heard it, but there is something very bold about opening with a long slow song. Lets the audience know that things are going to be different. Kind of like The Band opening Music From Big Pink with Tears of Rage.

I'll start again today, this is a great show. Warming myself up for the next Dave's from fall 72.

19. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

A common misconception--he doesn't say "if and only if you get confused, listen to the music play"...

...all the lawyers here will dig what I'm saying.

20. ianuaditis

That was the first time since late 1970 that Morning Dew had been played as a show opener, though it was fairly common in 1969, and occasional in 1970 (when the song wasn't done all that often.)

It would only be used in that capacity twice more in 1973, then never again appear outside of set 2 (and then usually only in the post-space slot.)

21. bzfgt

Didn't they open a second set with it in 1985?

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  22. bzfgt

Yes, located:

://archive.org/details/gd85-06-14.oade.sacks.4978.sbeok.shnf

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. bzfgt

Wow, what a setlist, even post-drums...

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I need to listen to it again, but I have strong memories of listening to that show and thinking the Dew was awful.

Lots of great stuff from the run - I made a killer compilation - but that Dew is not one of them. :(

25. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Since we're on the topic, here's my aforementioned Berkeley '85 comp.

Berkeley '85 - 3 Nights At the Greek

It's long and unrealistic (this would be the greatest 2nd set ever played):

1. Touch Of Grey
    2. New Minglewood Blues
    3. Cassidy
    4. Dupree's Diamond Blues
    5. Big Railroad Blues
    6. Looks Like Rain
    7. Mississippi Half Step
    8. Keep On Growing
    9. Stagger Lee
    10. Let It Grow
    11. Deal
    12. Might As Well

13. China Cat
    14. IKYR
    15. Scarlet Begonias
    16. Fire On the Mountain
    17. Samson and Delilah
    18. Lost Sailor
    19. Saint of Circumstance
    20. Terrapin Station
    21. The Wheel
    22. The Other One
    23. GDTRFB
    24. In The Midnight Hour
    25. Bertha
    26. Brokedown Palace

27. She Belongs to Me

:)

wavethatflag, fishcane and Mansley like this.