The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Disc 3 from Movie Soundtrack

Weather Report Suite starts it up. Going to try the Dark Star out on my dear wife. Not sure she's ready yet plus it's her birthday so save that thought - maybe a Sugar Mag or Bertha or Fire on the way to dinner instead:)

2. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I didn't realize that. I knew we were in for a good night in Jersey city and again in d.c. 6/73 when they opened with it.

3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]
    Happy Birthday, friend!

love the way Jerry puts an exclamation point on the end of this Blow Away

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Dominick, nitsuj, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Quick! Someone make a BLOW Away pun! :D

Happy B day sweet prince....

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

"You got something held in your fist baby! Open up that fist..."

Ok maybe not...

fishcane and warewolf95 like this.
  6. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

God Bless Brent Mydland. He came here all the way from the Spirit World to bring us: "...just a little sweetness, just a little Light!"

7. US Blues

Best Weather Report Suite ever (18 October 1974). And yeah, that second set needs to be played in it's entirety (I recommend the SBD from the 2-track master reels :tiphat: )

And please give the Mrs. our wishes for an extraordinarily joyful birthday. :righton:

8. Dahabenzapple

Switched off to the edited Eyes from disc 1 for my Barbara once she was done clothes shopping on the way to dinner. She's not yet all in on that one but I was the foot start tapping. Too bad it's cut as the post verse stuff is Phil, Jerry & Bobby at their finest.

Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  9. Dahabenzapple

...back to the jam out of Seastones tomorrow into the Dark Star & Dew....

one day I'll listen to the 2-track soundboard for the full second set from 10/18/74:)

10. US Blues

I listened to it the other night, and it is incredibly spacious in the presentation of the instruments. It's like being at the edge of the stage in Winterland right in front of Billy's kick drum. Jerry's guitar was everywhere filling the left side of my LR, Phil's quad bass during Seastones was coming from every-which-way, and Keith's piano filled the right side of the room, while the drums spread across the whole soundstage. Bobby was darting in and out of the rest of the instruments. It's no wonder I loved listening to this one in enhanced states of consciousness when I was young.

11. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Did you guys know the Dead only had one drummer in 1974? I kid, but, I'm listening to the 6/16 Eyes (again), thinking the secret to all this is the drumming, and is it Billy's snare or Mickey's that's what I'm keying on? and upon focusing my ears, only finding one drum kit. 'Oh yeah. That's why you listen to this period so much, you idjut, dat phlow.' In my minds eye, when I listen to the GD, I always see the Dynamic Duo. Billy doesn't get mentioned often enough in 'greatest drummer' conversations.

I'm percussion-challenged these days, anyway. My favorite band replaced Bill Bruford* with between three and five drummers who sound like one guy with twelve arms

('*replaced Bill Bruford' is a gross oversimplification of a long history

12. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

If I had to choose between Billy and Mickey it will be Billy every time. I know Mickey could handle being the only drummer but Billy has been the rock since day one. Even now in dead and company, Mickey just adds color over the steady drive of Billy. I'm biased though as during my own formative drumming years I saw the one drummer lineup quite a bit and Billy greatly influenced me. I also think the double drummers were much more effective in the 67-70 years than the post hiatus years.

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Not nearly enough. Ralph Humphrey is another.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Love Billy. Perfect drummer for the band. He killed it on a 3 min rock n roll song or a 30 min jazzy space jam

15. Dahabenzapple

I used to believe this until fairly recently. Over the past 2 years of listening to a whole lot of 77-78, I've changed my viewpoint. Especially once the GSTL box came out and I had my first listens from to those classic early May 77 shows. There is a lightness and a sophisticated interplay when in the past I heard a heaviness that sometimes led to a clunkiness that didn't exist in either the previous 2 drummer era from 67-70 or in the Billy only era. Especially in 73 Kreutzmann had a lightness of touch and feel that only the very best jazz drummers have.

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  16. US Blues

When we can hear the two drummers properly, as we can on GSTL, it is easy to hear and appreciate their interplay. On lesser recordings the sophistication is lost in the miasma of sound.

nitsuj and Dahabenzapple like this.
  17. Dahabenzapple

I've been listening to more 2 drummer bands over the last 4-5 years than I did over the previous 30 years. I've probably seen 10-12 different ensembles live with 2 drummers over that time. Some of those shows were as powerhouse as anything I've ever seen. Still the most powerful 2 drummer band I've seen was the Peter Brotzmann Tentet in 1999 & 2002 with Michael Zerang & Hamid Drake. Impossible to explain the power of those 2 dual drummers especially knowing that they were driving that super powerhouse ensemble. Why I didn't go back or delve into more bands with multiple drummers is lost on me or I guess it took another 12 years or so to realize how much I liked when a band worked well with an extra drummer.

I've been opening up to not concern myself who is playing what especially on record.

US Blues likes this.
  18. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Ha! Took the words almost right out of my mouth...

bzfgt likes this.
  19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Yes, at the Greek. Also at my second show, Giants 7/12/87.

bzfgt likes this.
  20. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

It's the difference between a sufficient and necessary condition we're concerned with here...

SBegonias17 and Crispy Rob like this.
  21. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

He has risen!

aka

I am actually listening to the Dead! Very strange to be submerged in slop, wild raving and off-key singing and playing after jazzin' it up something fierce in addition to a brilliant detour on the Road to Red for the last few weeks.

Road Trip Vol 2 No 2.
    Aaaah :love:

What did Garcia possess more than most musicians? Soul. As in 'a human soul'.

Karsten, budwhite, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  22. tededfred

tededfred Forum Resident

Listening to Dicks 14 on the way home with my 6 year old boy. Mind Left Body Jam came on and I turned it off to let him listen to some country radio. He asked me to put the Dead back on because he "liked that song". I've never been so proud in my life.

23. trd

trd Forum Resident

“It’s been said that the two drummers, in the eighties, sounded like sneakers in a dryer.”

Deadhead

24. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

New Yorker--pointed out for those who will lose a click this month for something they've already read, like I just did....

Crispy Rob and SBegonias17 like this.
  25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

At least the author correctly alludes to the "a Dark Star that is separated only by drums is a single, contiguous Dark Star" corollary when mentioning the Rotterdam, '72 DS.