The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I read about it in the DP 24 thread. Apparently there are overtones/harmonics/whatever to Phil's bass that are not on the original version. I think someone said Mr. Norman had mentioned experimenting with the sound or something. That's all I got for ya. :)

budwhite likes this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

LOL, it's in the Dave's 2017 thread. There's several pages of it, Jeffrey Norman was emailed (and replied) etc. The member who posted himself playing BB kind of chimed in at the end of it.

Worth a read, for sure, whatever you think of the sound of Dave's 24.

US Blues, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Holy crap, I missed all that. I tend to only skim the sub-Dead threads, or not even read them.

ianuaditis, warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

OK. let me make a few things very sparkling clear:
    1. I thought you were aware of the discussion regarding DaP 24, but it's now clear that you were not. (I would add here that you do like to stir the pot, but that's OK. I not only respect that, I love it.)
    2. There were some things related to Phil's bass part on DaP 24 that were very questionable, and while I was slammed for speculating, in the end, I was more or less confirmed as being at least close to being correct. Those who slammed me for speculation never made even the most basic attempt to acknowledge that I was correctly onto something.
    3. I love your input here, so don't change; and
    4. If you mess with Phil, one of the best improvisational musicians of the past 50 years, expect some extremely vehement kick-back. It's Phil Lesh; respect that.

5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Huh, I missed all of that somehow. I thought I was subscribed to the Dave 2017 thread too, but I've noticed they sometimes stop sending notifications for no apparent reason, which must have happened right around the time this whole bass to-do was kicking off...

warewolf95 and wavethatflag like this.
  6. bzfgt

I have to go try to find it now.

7. ianuaditis

Start about 10 pages back or so.

bzfgt likes this.
  8. Archtop

Ah, you didn't really miss anything. Carry on, stout yeoman. :D

nitsuj likes this.
  9. bzfgt

Sure enough, it says I'm watching that thread. Not closely enough, apparently...

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. ianuaditis

Unless you check it, it only alerts you at the first new post.

bzfgt likes this.
  11. bzfgt

Oh, so if I miss one, then I could miss a thousand...that explains how that happens.

ianuaditis likes this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

God damn it. Some people have sufficient lives NOT to keep up with Dead-sub-threads?

Shame on you. ;)

13. wavethatflag

Yeah, I want to read the Jeff Norman response.

bzfgt likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

listening to the new daves. I call this a stock 1972 show. disc 3 is interesting but nothing sticks out so much that I know why it was chosen as a picks. not that its bad. like I said very stock. daves 25 already looks like t will be a better release than this

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  15. wavethatflag

I was getting into it earlier today. I listened to the first five tunes and I was pleased. At worst I'd call it '72 first set autopilot, but it's still a damn fine airplane.

16. Matthew Tate

exactly. nothing wrong with it just not something I can figure out why dave would trip over himself to get it out

17. bzfgt

Wow, I need to go to bed so won't finish with bassgate tonight. I just want to say I somehow missed that Jesus restoration thing, that's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

nitsuj and Dahabenzapple like this.
  18. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Dave sometimes talks about how they have years and years “planned” out for releases (I think he once referenced a 20 year period). In order to do that on a 4 time a year subscription model, plus box sets every year, where you’re seemingly only looking between 69 and 78, some average shows will be in the mix. There are just not enough shows like 1/22/78 to release only that level of show and make it the length of time Dave has talked about.

I though 8/25/72 was pretty standard ‘72 fare, definitely in the second tier of shows from that year. However, that still makes it worthy of release. Almost everything from 72-74 is worthy of being released if it’s in decent sound quality. Phantom octaves aside, of course.

19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

One of the reasons they released 25 Aug 1972 is they had just gotten those reels back into the Vault. There is a deal in place where the prior holder is going to get PAID, and one way to do that is release material they have returned and give them a cut. In the release credits in the booklet you'll notice the "Tapes provided through the assistance of ABCD Enterprises LLC." This credit has been present in the last several releases, including the Get Shown The Light box set.

20. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Last 50 years?! How about "since hominids began banging on rocks with sticks!" How about "since just after the Big Bang went BANG!" That was not a gaseous explosion, that was The Original Phil Bomb!

21. Matthew Tate

i will say its a fabulous "bird song" and a great electric country funk version of "friend of the devil"

22. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

Outstanding Other One as well :cool:

23. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

FWIW @wavethatflag I also thought you were making a good-natured joke to poke the bear, which would have been quite funny and in line with your sense of humor if you had!

It’s worth catching up on that discussion in the DaP 2017 thread. It was unfortunate and unfair that things went negative (and I do hope you feel vindicated @Archtop) but on the plus side some really interesting information came out of it and the group appears to have influenced future decisions that Mr. Norman may make.

24. Archtop

I was giving due deference to Slam Stewart. Forgive me. ;)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    US Blues likes this.
  25. bzfgt

OK I am caught up on the bass crisis. I listened to it and can hear it and am more sympathetic to the "don't mess with Phil" crowd.

Having said that I love the performance there, to me it's better than second tier because a lot of the first set stuff is top notch whereas I often only really pay attention to the jammy parts of 72 shows. Cold Rain and Snow and Bird Song are top versions.