The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Some bad hombres here...

trd and BurtThomasWard like this.
  2. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That sounds like a worthwhile project. Sadly I think not too much has a lot of commercial potential.

Is the cost the only obstacle to them seeing the light of day?

3. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The song that woman sung, was "look out Stagger Lee!"

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  4. ianuaditis

If I have time this morning, I'll get into that between the rest of the Capitol 3-20-70 and 'Alice's restaurant.'

Also, though that's not a 1991 show, in some ways it is.

Archtop likes this.
  5. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I am glad you like it and I admit I am being ultra picky about it, it is just something that hits my ear wrong I suppose. I suppose I only bring it up when folks are thinking of buying it; maybe they should check it out first, but that and Crimson White etc. where mixed by Michael McGinn and they are just a little unsettling mix wise to me by comparison; but this is Archtopping mixes of course, certainly something that wouldn't bother the majority of people putting more focus on the music where it rightly belongs.

So I have been Archtopping mixes from '87 to Spring '90 all week and have mapped out more for the weekend, it is fun being in a late 80's-90's mood. I would suggest than Normanization has changed over time as well. You make some good points about widening and hence bringing forward the soundstage. As far as brightness, I think he has toned that down some. His Buffalo release was brighter for example. I would say he hinted at his new style for these tapes with Nightfall, then really upped those factors with Spring 90 TOO and now RFK '89, I think it is really incorporating Phil much better, getting the drums a little less washy, but still keeping a comfortable level of brightness at the very top. It is a very big and holographic soundstage now with real deepness.

I also realized comparing Summer '89 to anything else he did with those Le Mobile multitracks was off base. I am not sure if it was just a tour thing or an indoor/outdoor thing, but the drums were recorded pretty differently. Having listened to all the Summer '89 stuff Norman or otherwise I sense they miked, gated or compressed things differently, but Summer '89 gives a more open natural tone to the drums, some more definition and brightness to the toms and kick, where Fall '89 to Spring '90 it is wetter by comparison. Unless it was a pure style move, maybe they were dealing with indoor environments and so had to compensate for bleed being more of a problem than in a stadium or they were punching up the drums because of a stadium, but I think that is the difference I was hearing on the RFK thread not anything new mix wise. A great example of changing Normanization is Buffalo vs. RFK, tapes recorded 8-9 days apart, but mixed 12 years apart; and that is some great progress if you ask me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    Crispy Rob, budwhite, trd and 3 others like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Yup, it is pretty awesome, actually.

7. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Just finished Alice's Restaurant whilst jamming nearly a pound of stuffing into a six pound chicken (my wife's allergic to turkey and that's no skin off'n my nose) and have some tasty (musical) treats slated for today. I also was miraculously successful in properly intonating my Wishbass after 10 years. It's one of those rough, not at all finished things that looks cool, but doesn't become a player unless one messes with it. But it sounds like nirvana. And yes, Phil. Just Phil.

8. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Happy Turkey day everyone!!! :)

In a random listening mood right now, so it's Viola Lee Blues from 11/10/67 at the moment...

9. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Wow, I didn't know that Buffalo '89 was also released as CDs. I only have the video.

bmoregnr, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  10. US Blues

23 November 1978- Second set slow Friend of the Devil is just exactly perfect.

11. warewolf95

Sorry to disappoint everyone - my Dead mood lasted 2 tracks and it's back to more Metallica... :oops:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

We just passed 50,000 posts! "You folks are crazy."-Lowell George (Waiting For Columbus). I am thankful/grateful for antibiotics this year among other things; I hope your Thanksgiving is a little bit weird and you are all in a good place today.

I'm going to finish my Best of Dave's Picks 1-24 compilation this weekend. Trying to build a setlist that flows has been a little challenging, and which Dark Star do I use. I have 4 days off so my friend Cookies & Cream and I will figure it out. :D

13. wavethatflag

"You are forgiven."
    --The Who, "A Quick One"

14. ianuaditis

5-14-74 would get my vote from Dave's I think.

Also, how much synergy did it take that post #50,000 is the very last post on page 2000? Or is it just always an even 20 per page or something. I've never counted.

footlooseman, US Blues and warewolf95 like this.
  15. warewolf95

:D

Crap, I just realized I'm actually an engine driver now - well, a road engine anyways, lol

16. US Blues

Let's see some pix of the Wishbass.

Archtop and ianuaditis like this.
  17. wavethatflag

At least your name isn't Ivor (as far as I know).

US Blues, budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  18. Archtop

I don't have a photo-hosting site anymore, but otherwise I would certainly indulge (meaning inundate) you.

US Blues likes this.
  19. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I’d go with 2/24/74, particularly if you’re going to include the full DS>Dew sequence.

adamos, Archtop and budwhite like this.
  20. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Tinypic is free.

warewolf95 and Archtop like this.
  21. Archtop

But not secure by my accounting.

22. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

23. US Blues

Brother, ain't nothing on the Net that is secure.

24. Archtop

2/24/74 probably is the best Dark Star on a DaP. The only other worthy contender is 5/14/74 and it really isn't that worthy. The Thelma Dark Star doesn't do much for me. And no question the 2/24/74 Dew is right up there. In Phil We Trust. (And don't leave off the following Sugar Magnolia; Jerry rips that one all sorts of up starting at 4:13.) Did I mention that the China--> Rider is fantastic, Playing in the Band is great and WRS is among the best versions ever? Well, now I did. :nyah:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  25. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Plus a top Candyman & Cumberland - maybe my favorite overall
    Dead show. One I can listen to straight through with no need for excerpts:)

One note - the 2/2/70 Dark Star from Dave’s 6 is a top 1970 version. Easily in my top 20 ever that I’ve heard so far:)