The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Well, here we go:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  2. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Reminds me of Danko's fretless Ampeg. Nice!

Archtop likes this.
  3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nice! I'd love to try one of those.

Archtop likes this.
  4. Archtop

Those fretless Ampegs are awesome and hard to find (or rather, pricey when you do). I've gotta say, the Wishbass doesn't score an abundance of points for build quality, but over time I've been able to find the sweet spot for the bridge (my third one), groove the string slots and finally get it more or less properly intonated (thanks to some Gorilla Glue and a boatload of persistence). I don't really care about aesthetics, but poor intonation is something I want to be on me, not my axe, you know?
    I don't think they they are being made anymore, but I paid short money for this one several years back, so you should be able to find on on ebay. The key is getting extra bridge pieces. The standard corian stuff didn't work well for me at all, but I was lucky to get a couple of extra wooden wedge pieces that I finally worked out. I've got Fender tapewounds on it (sadly, those are no longer made either) and it growls like a panther that hasn't eaten for two weeks.

US Blues, adamos and RockRoom like this.
  5. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

6. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Set 1 from 7/3/78. Great Peggy-O, Cassidy & good Deal & TMNS to end the set

Scarlet Begonias to start set 2 is awesome despite and/or because of the skipped verse (maybe Jerry just wanted to play) and the very end before the transition is genius music - but then again I’ve seen this before. Unlike me I’m listening again in the AM and I may even listen to the Dancing which I didn’t really like the first couple of times.

I do really REALLY LOVE this box set. I’m even tempted to again go back to the awesome one set 7/1 show that kills me every time.

7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For some reason Jerry usually skipped the "ain't nothing wrong with the way she moves" verse in 1978. If I recall right 2/5/78 is another great version missing that verse.

8. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

That one is under serious consideration. Right now the one from 3/28/73 is the favorite, but it may not stay that way. No, it's only one song per show, so I can't do Dark Star>Dew. Only China>Rider and Scarlet>Fire count as one.

9. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Finally sitting down to listen to Dave’s 24.

Yuck. This bass sound is awful. I am finding it so distracting that I am not really hearing the guitars. Just this weird mutant bass sound.

I know this has been discussed and Jeffrey gave his views and so on but...gee. I don’t think I am going to listen to this show more than once. The bass effect really ruins it for me. Virtually unlistenable.

Edit: Just finished Loser. This is so fatiguing. Sustained low frequency boom nearly every beat every song. It overpowers the other instruments and makes for a much less dynamic presentation. I think I can safely say that this is my twenty-fourth favourite Dave’s Picks.

10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I am so hoping they fix whatever they might have done to Dave’s 25. I feel the same way. I haven’t gotten through the whole TOO as by the end of the great ruined bass solo at the end of Truckin’ I was too disturbed to continue:(

11. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Yeah, I haven't been able to make it through the whole show on Dave's 24 yet. It seems like a pretty good show, but the odd sound of Phil's bass is just too annoying for me. I'd rather hear a 3rd gen audience tape, to be honest.

What I fail to understand is: what was so poor about the bass on the 9/25/72 tape that he felt that he had to process it with this horrible effect? I mean, out of the dozens of shows he's worked on for over two decades, I'm sure there were other tapes with "weak bass" - and yet none of them ending up sounding this ridiculous.

12. Archtop

I had hoped to leave this all behind and I'm rather sorry that I brought it up in the first place. But the scientist and musician in me compels me to research the issue (meaning primarily the reaction to it) and I've read posts on dead.net from "sound engineers of _[insert lengthy job tenure here]_ years" who can't hear it at all and others here who use "great Bose headphones" (as do I) who can't hear it and I have to ask: Are there really only six or seven of us Dead fans on Earth who are graced with such wonderfully perceptive hearing? :nyah:

Put another way: Most of DaP 24 is completely unlistenable to me.

13. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

"the Ab Weasel was an actual weasel that bit you if you stopped doing sit-ups"

I could hear it just fine, streaming the damn thing on Youtube, and I use the world's crappiest equipment. (whatever model of tiny sony speakers (plus subwoofer!?!) my brother gave us for Christmas 7 years ago.)

And I'd say I have a tin ear, but that's not fair to tin. What's cheaper than tin? Hematite?

That said, I was able to listen to it; I find it a minor distraction but it was certainly an excellent performance, from a magical era.

wavethatflag and bzfgt like this.
  14. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

That one is definitely not to be slept on.

If it's one song per show, I'd have a hard time picking 2-24's Dark Star over other songs from that show.

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

After a full day of feasting, ceremony, and visiting with friends, it's on to 23 November 1973- El Paso. Bliss in set 2.

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  16. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Cheers to those who recommended the "So Far" GD movie. Nice slice of 85 w great playing and sound. Perfect for food coma viewing with the wife and daughter. When they transitioned from UJB to PITB, my daughter chimed in that Dead & Co. did the same sequence in Atlanta last summer. Dad (me) corrected her and said it was the other way around. Of course, she being 12, she's never wrong, heh. Turns out we were both right, as D&C played PITB>UJB>PITB the night we saw 'em.

Best Thanksgiving argument ever #prouddad

Edit This is also available on YouTube

17. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I never notice that. And that's good.
    Now say if Springsteen drops a verse in "Prove it all night", I'd sure take notice. Because most acts plays their songs in the same way every night, except for maybe an extended guitar solo at the end.
    Power to the Dead for being so loose and free!

18. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Things are very fluid. It's a delicate balance because I want to make it like a complete show, so I'm going to have to pick weaker first set tracks over more worthy options in certain cases. For example Dave's 9 has a pretty good PITB and a pretty good Dark Star, but IMO there are at least a couple of better versions of each on other releases. So in the end the selection from Dave's 9 might wind up being Promised Land or Deal or something similar. It's a fun little project, though. I want the whole thing to fit on 3 CDs like a normal release in this series. No bonus disc. :)

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

John Carl Hendricks (September 16, 1921 – November 22, 2017), known professionally as Jon Hendricks, was an American jazz lyricist and singer. He is considered one of the originators of vocalese, which adds lyrics to existing instrumental songs and replaces many instruments with vocalists .

Fire in the City

"Dennis McNally describes some of the details (p.173-74)

Shortly after they signed their contract, the band had a side adventure in recording, spending a couple of days with the distinguished jazz vocalist Jon Hendricks, who'd been commissioned to produce the sound track of a radical film about the Vietnam Day Committee's antiwar demonstrations called Sons And Daughters. Hendricks had grown up in Ohio, five doors down from Art Tatum, then formed the jazz vocal group Lambert, Hendricks And Ross. He was a genuine hero, and the Dead leaped at the chance to work with him."

http://hooterollin.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/sons-and-daughters-american-do...

http://www.deadheadland.com/2015/05/14/rare-early-dead-warlocks-grateful...

20. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Archtop made me do it!

Due to the time it takes these things to arrive in the mail and to the current circumstances of my life, it takes me ages to get around to listening to these. I finally got around to it today during the little one’s naptime. I battled to make it as far as I did. I just couldn’t stand the constant thunderous octave sound. It was so unpleasant.

I have never liked very loud bass. I always consider that the bass does it job due to the frequencies of its note range, not to its volume. When I played bass in a band for a few years (an electric group but with a lot of dynamics and one guy playing amplified acoustic instruments) I became more and more turned off by a loud sound and more and more interested in the tone. I realised that just turning one’s amp up to eleven had the opposite effect of what I wanted - to find a tone that meshed with the other players but was distinct enough not to get lost.

I realise that this bass effect is not the live sound. That is most of the problem, really, but I could stand tasteful mastering. That’s what is supposed to happen and what usually happens.

I think it’s a combination of the intent behind it - to boost the bass sound - and the manner of doing it - adding frequencies that didn’t exist - and the outcome - a booming, suffocating and dominating presence - that disturbs me.

After all, this is Phil Lesh we’re talking about. I think the man’s bass playing deserves better.

By the way - I realise how aggravating this must be for those of you who can’t hear what I am talking about or are not troubled by it. I don’t mean to be annoying or to suggest that you are wrong or to ruin the happy atmosphere in here. Just trying to express the reason for my severe disappointment with this.

21. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Finally got my Robert F. Kennedy today. They had messed up the import again, so I didn't have to pay one kroner extra. Which is a good thing.

Kinda like the # too: 12669.

22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm still waiting for my DaP 24. I hope the enforced bass doesn't bother me much.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Come back soon!

Wallowing in disappointment can be dangerously addictive...

:wtf:

24. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

US Blues and Stone Turntable like this.
  25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

24 November 1978- Capital Theater, Passaic. Jerry's voice is shot by set 2, yet we have a beautifully recorded classic show from late 1978. Just as he did the prior night, Bobby pulls off his Egyptian-inflected intro chords to Shakedown Street. Special guest Hamza al-Din brings class and prestige to Drums, which in turn melts into a rare Fire On The Mountain sans Scarlet Begonias.

Again, this is a show in a proscenium theater with chairs, not a dance hall, college gym, or Acid Test. The band is more oriented to performing it's songs to a smaller crowd, so this show do not come across with the raucous energy of an East Coast show in a different type of venue.